Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax Has A New Toy — Parallax Forums

Parallax Has A New Toy

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2014-10-04 03:50 in General Discussion
Too my ultimate surprise, I seen a pic on the Parallax homepage with the words "laser rangefinder" attached. So I did a little research.....

I have been waiting a long time for this and I have the PERFECT project for this new product. Time to start saving my pennies.

http://www.parallax.com/product/28043

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-05-14 19:56
    I think the file permissions for the .C and .SIDE files in the C code Zip aren't correct.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    edited 2014-05-14 20:25
    idbruce wrote: »
    Too my ultimate surprise, I seen a pic on the Parallax homepage with the words "laser rangefinder" attached. So I did a little research.....

I have been waiting a long time for this and I have the PERFECT project for this new product. Time to start saving my pennies.

Nice looking product - I see it used a MicroSemi A2F060

- This type of product would be an ideal Application Benchmark for the new P2

It is this FPGA-Assisted side of the market, where I think the P2 can get good traction.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2014-05-14 20:33
    """"" Laser power: 14 W (peak), 6 mW (average), Class 1M"""

14W?!

must be a VERY wide beam and a short pulse to some how Still gain CRDH FDA Class 1M

something does not smell right here .....
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2014-05-14 20:49
    Has to be a pretty short pulse to measure time of flight, although 14W peak does seem rather high.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2014-05-14 21:29
    Now you're barkin'. That could be the start of an affordable entry into something like the DARPA Grand Challenge. Most of those cars used the SICK scanning laser rangefinder which cost a lot more back then.

A quick Ebay search found this handheld Chinese TOF laser RF for ~$120 shipped... http://www.ebay.com/itm/251511133118

Food for thought!
    edited 2014-05-14 21:45
    I have the PERFECT project for this new product.

Now Bruce, please finish your El Cheapo CNC/3D printer project (you know, the one with 7000 views) before you start on another project! :)
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-05-14 22:36
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2014-05-15 06:25
    I think this is the one that Proff Brano worked with the developer here on the forum. Can't find link right now.
    Jim
    edited 2014-05-15 06:48
    RS_Jim wrote: »
    I think this is the one that Proff Brano worked with the developer here on the forum. Can't find link right now.
    Jim

IIRC that was laserdeveloper, and his final say was "not for sale in the US". If this was his, seems like we would have heard from him before now.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-15 07:13
    It is laserdeveloper. Prolly you need to be a distributor to get it here.
    The SF02 is a Class 1M laser under Food and Drug Administration Guidelines. Class 1M lasers are considered non-hazardous unless viewed with optical aids including magnifiers, binoculars or telescopes.
    As an importer of this laser product, Parallax’s supplier has completed the necessary FDA Dealer and Distributor records in Title 21, Subpart E. Purchase this sensor from Parallax and receive our warranty, customer service, and quick shipment.

And Ken mentioned this product a few days ago:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/155648-C-code-review-for-SF02-Laser-Rangefinder-to-Propeller

and here shared this info with me a few weeks ago when I saw him at the Washington DC Science and Engineering Festival.

Also see:

http://www.parallax.com/news/2014-05-14/unable-resist-temptation-new-sf02-laser-rangefinder
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-05-15 07:21
    erco wrote: »
    IIRC that was laserdeveloper, and his final say was "not for sale in the US". If this was his, seems like we would have heard from him before now.

Yes on both comments and the necessary FDA paperwork has been completed by the importer of this product.

Ken Gracey
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2014-05-15 07:21
    erco
    Now Bruce, please finish your El Cheapo CNC/3D printer project (you know, the one with 7000 views) before you start on another project! :smile:

LOL.... Agreed..... However, I definitely want one of these, which would go back to an older idea... http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/138199-Anyone-Interested-In-Building-A-Money-Making-Robot?p=1077260#post1077260
  • Laser DeveloperLaser Developer Posts: 140
    edited 2014-05-15 09:25
    For those curious to know, yes I was involved in the development of the SF02. Many of the features come as a direct result of feedback from the Parallax forum.

The eye safety criteria for Class 1 and Class 1M lasers allow for a relatively high peak power, provided that the pulse width, firing frequency and wavelength are all within certain limits. The safety regulations are very conservative but most modern laser range finders can easily achieve the safest categories, thanks to the availability of extremely high speed electronics.

The reason why earlier products weren't offered in the USA was because of the requirement by the FDA to have a registered agent or distributor based in the USA who can handle queries and paperwork that the FDA sends out from time to time. I have to thank Prof Braino for helping us with this and also Ken and the team at Parallax for introducing the SF02 to a wider audience. No doubt the Parallax laser has given them considerable experience in making sure that everything is done by the book.

Finally, if the SF02 is successful, then there are many other laser ideas for robots and UAVs just waiting to be put into production - anti-collision, SLAM, 3D mapping etc. I hope that this is the beginning of a long and successful relationship between Parallax and LightWare. Perhaps the combined innovation of both companies will bring you amazing new technologies for many years to come.:smile:
    edited 2014-05-15 10:08
    Laser Developer

What are the possibilties of increasing the accuracy of this range finder and if impossible, do you foresee a more accurate range finder in the future?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-05-15 10:30
    erco wrote: »

A quick Ebay search found this handheld Chinese TOF laser RF for ~$120 shipped...

I have this one from Bosch, works great and it is cheaper than erco's eBay find. I especially like that it takes regular AA cells.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR130K

c26-BOSCH-B001U89QBU-3-sm.jpg
    250 x 436 - 25K
    edited 2014-05-15 10:37
    W9GFO wrote: »
    I have this one from Bosch, works great and it is cheaper than erco's eBay find. I especially like that it takes regular AA cells.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-DLR130K

c26-BOSCH-B001U89QBU-3-sm.jpg

No external interface? Didn't see any.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2014-05-15 10:49
    No, but I don't think the eBay one has it either.
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2014-05-15 10:56
    SRLM wrote: »
    I think the file permissions for the .C and .SIDE files in the C code Zip aren't correct.

How odd - I'll look into that ASAP.
  • Courtney JacobsCourtney Jacobs Posts: 903
    edited 2014-05-15 11:27
    It seems that the rangefinder Propeller C code download wasn't giving the correct file.

We fixed the issue; hopefully that takes care of the permissions problem. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Laser DeveloperLaser Developer Posts: 140
    edited 2014-05-15 11:47
    idbruce, it is possible to design many different combinations of accuracy, range and update rate. Each permutation would be suited to a different kind of application. Most "low cost" laser ranging devices fall into two categories: high accuracy, such as the handheld DIY types, or long range, such as those used for playing golf. These two examples have very specific performance requirements, but they achieve this performance by compromising on other specifications. So typically, a DIY laser has a very low update rate, and a golfing laser has low accuracy.

Getting around these performance compromises is straight forward from a technical perspective but it makes the laser more expensive. The SF02 has been designed with a particular market in mind and the price and performance reflect the needs of that market. Changing one aspect of the performance, such as the accuracy, may allow for other applications, but inevitably there will be a mismatch in terms of price, range, update rate, weight, form factor, interfaces, power supplies etc. that makes that particular enhancement somewhat less attractive.

A good way to get changes to the SF02, or any other product for that matter, is to keep talking about the applications and specifications on this forum. If there looks to be enough interest then maybe Ken and I can work something out. We would be delighted to find new applications for laser technology and if we can get the right mix of specifications at the right price then we'll try to find a way to make it for you. In the meantime, enjoy the first step that we've taken with the SF02.

edited 2014-05-15 12:02
    Laser Developer

Thanks for your response.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-05-19 08:46
    You guys bought the lasers faster than expected and we are now OUT of STOCK. You can place backorders and get into the queue while we wait for Laser Developer to send us a bigger box this time.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-05-19 08:49
    LOL That was fast.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2014-05-19 18:24
    LOL That was fast.
    Yes it was! That will teach me to not drag my feet next time!
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-05-19 18:44
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    You guys bought the lasers faster than expected and we are now OUT of STOCK. You can place backorders and get into the queue while we wait for Laser Developer to send us a bigger box this time.

Ken Gracey
    That's because they misread your item description and thought you were selling phasers. :-)
    edited 2014-05-20 17:36
    46 available direct from manufacturer. http://www.lightware.co.za/shop/en/lrf-modules/7-sf02f.html
    edited 2014-06-02 08:22
    NWCCTV wrote: »

I think you have to be a distributor to import this item, (FDA paper work involved IIRC) .

Parallax has them back in stock!

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-08-22 19:27
    I received one of these today. Pretty darn cool!

I didn't want to install the software yet so I just used the default configuration to start with.

I powered it with a 2S LiPo and plugged the RX and TX lines into a Prop Plug. The default baud is apparently 9600 bps. When I connected the trigger line to ground the SF02 started spitting out distance reading. It would also send a reading if I typed "D" into the terminal.

It has a regulated 5V output so I'll use it to power a QuickStart board and have the QuickStart board control some sort of portable display.

I've only tried it indoors so far, but it's supposed to work out in the sun too. I'll test this aspect of the rangefinder tomorrow (it's starting to get dark here).

The other "Laser Range Finder" doesn't work well in bright sunlight. The SF02's abilty to work out in the sun will make it a very useful sensor.

Not only does Parallax have a new toy, now I do too.
    edited 2014-08-22 20:27
    I have a LRF but have yet to try it outside. I guess one of the benefits of living in the Pacific Northwest is the fact that we do not see the sun too often so that may not be an issue. I would however like to know how well a $350.00 one works!!! I think that is what I paid for my entire Wild Thumper.
    edited 2014-08-22 20:41
    Nice to know that we have some rich kids here in the forums! Duane, what wonderful things will you do with your $350 toy? I have an inquiring mind and I simply must know. You too, Andy... is yours (prolly the Parallax one?) a plaything or do you have some serious plans for it?

I was all set to get this $400 laser scanner but can't really justify it. Instead I'll spend that money and more on a 3D printer that I'll use every day.