Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WS2812 Fast Multi - Driving ~10,000 Neopixels using an $8 Micro — Parallax Forums

WS2812 Fast Multi - Driving ~10,000 Neopixels using an $8 Micro

TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
edited 2016-08-23 04:02 in Propeller 1
I've been working on an upgrade to the "laundry stargate" and looking for ways to drive more WS2812 LED strips with the Prop.

I've come up with some code that comes tantalisingly close to driving 5 WS2811/12/12B strips at full rate, so I thought I'd ask more experienced eyes to see if there's a way to finish this, or whether I should be less ambitious and settle for 4 strips per cog.

What I want to do is find a way to "advance" the 5 Ptrs to the next LED data, every 24 rather than 31 bits. I need an alternative to the 'test' instruction that makes the zero flag go high once every 24 bits, and advances the pointers to the next LED data. This allows data to be store in the simpler form $00 Gg Rr Bb (one led per long), otherwise I will have to pack 4 leds to 3 longs, which will work but perhaps isn't so user friendly.

No matter what we end up with, we should be able to use virtually all of hub ram for data; something like 7500~10,000 LEDs, split across 6 or 7 cogs, 28 output pins, at a refresh rate around 130 Hz. I think that'd be spectacular, for a $8 micro in a DIP package

Clock rate is 100 MHz so bit timing ends up at 1.28usec per bit.
'Main tight bit loop starts here:-
' Bit output order looks like this 
'                         state:    data     low       high
'                         delay:    0.36     0.56      0.36   usec

:loop         rdlong    dat1, ptr1              '008  get first strip data, 00RRGGBB format
              test      dat1, bmask wc          '012  extract single data bit and copy it to C flag
if_nc         andn      opmask, led1mask        '016  if led1 data bit was 0, zero the mask at the led1 pin position

rdlong    dat2, ptr2              '024  get first strip 
              and       outa, out0mask          '028  all led outputs low        <- near 0.36 usec mark after data output
              test      dat2, bmask wc          '032  get data bit into Z

if_nc         andn      opmask, led2mask        '036  zero led2 pin if data bit was zero.
              test      bitctr,#31 wz           '040  check whether in last bit. store result in zero flag.
if_z          add       ptr1,inc1               '044  move onto next led if last bit
if_z          add       ptr2,inc2               '048  move onto next LED

rdlong    dat3, ptr3              '056  get third channel data
              test      dat3, bmask wc          '060  get data bit into C
if_nc         andn      opmask, led3mask        '064  if led3 data bit was 0, zero the mask at the led3 pin position

rdlong    dat4, ptr4              '072  get fourth channel data
              test      dat4, bmask wc          '076  get data bit into C
if_nc         andn      opmask, led4mask        '080  zero led4 pin if data bit was 0.

or        outa, out1mask          '084  all led outputs high       <- near 0.56us after previous transition.  Hence out of order slightly
if_z          add       ptr3,inc3               '088  move onto next LED
if_z          add       ptr4,inc4               '092  move onto next LED
              ror       bmask, #1               '096  ready to extract next bit

rdlong    dat5, ptr5              '104  get fifth strip led data
              test      dat5, bmask wc          '108  get data bit into C       
if_c          andn      opmask, led5mask        '112  zero led5 pin only if data bit was 0.

if_z          add       ptr5,inc5               '116  move onto next led5 data
              and       outa, opmask            '120  Clear the pin bits that must be zero. Others (1s) will be cleared later when all go to zero. <- 0.36us after previous transition
              mov       opmask, #$1ff           '124  reset the output mask for the next iteration
              djnz      bitctr, #:loop          '128  jump to back and do another 24/32 bits for the next LED

Comments

• TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2014-04-11 22:42
    Here's the gear timing to test the compliance with the timing spec

Gear_WS2812.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 149K
  • Did some real world testing with this on the weekend. Thanks to OzPropDev for helping nail the silly $1ff bug towards the end of the loop.

I settled on the 5 strip per cog format, which means the data from 4 leds is packed into 3 longs. The upside of this is that we should be able to drive around 10,000 leds from a single Prop.

Testing on the weekend consisted of driving a long string of 576 leds successfully from one output, moving that long string from output pin to output pin. The cog driver keeps up with Hub memory so there's no limit on number of strings, or number of leds per string, other than the 32K hub limit.

Will post some photos of the setup soon

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    edited 2016-08-23 06:20
    tubular

here some ideas:

- Instead of a part of the bitcntr you can use the bmask to detect the wrap around from bit0 to bit23/31.

- Copy the bit directly into the opmask with muxc , instead of set them all and clear one after one with if_nc andn, this spares one Instruction.

It will then look like that:
                  mov       bmask, bit23            'begin with highest of 24 bits

:loop         rdlong    dat1, ptr1              '008  get first strip data, 00RRGGBB format
                  test      dat1, bmask wc          '012  extract single data bit and copy it to C flag
                  muxc      opmask, led1mask        '016  copy led1 data bit to the led1 pin position

rdlong    dat2, ptr2              '024  get first strip 
                  and       outa, out0mask          '028  all led outputs low        <- near 0.36 usec mark after data output
                  test      dat2, bmask wc          '032  get data bit into C
                  muxc      opmask, led2mask        '036  copy led2 data bit to the led2 pin position

test      bmask,#1  wz            '040  check whether in last bit. store result in zero flag.
    if_nz         add       ptr1,inc1               '044  move onto next led if last bit
    if_nz         add       ptr2,inc2               '048  move onto next LED

rdlong    dat3, ptr3              '056  get third channel data
                  test      dat3, bmask wc          '060  get data bit into C
                  muxc      opmask, led3mask        '064  copy led3 data bit to the led3 pin position

rdlong    dat4, ptr4              '072  get fourth channel data
                  test      dat4, bmask wc          '076  get data bit into C
                  muxc      opmask, led4mask        '080  copy led4 data bit to the led4 pin position

or        outa, out1mask          '084  all led outputs high       <- near 0.56us after previous transition.  Hence out of order slightly
    if_nz         add       ptr3,inc3               '088  move onto next LED
    if_nz         add       ptr4,inc4               '092  move onto next LED
                  test      dat5, bmask wc          '108  get data bit into C       

rdlong    dat5, ptr5              '104  get fifth strip led data
                  muxc      opmask, led5mask        '108  copy led5 data bit to the led5 pin position

if_nz         add       ptr5,inc5               '112  move onto next led5 data
                  and       outa, opmask            '116  Clear the pin bits that must be zero. Others (1s) will be cleared later when all go to zero. <- 0.36us after previous transition
                  shr       bmask, #1   wz          '120  ready to extract next bit, on wrap around set Z flag
    if_z          mov       bmask, bit23            '124  rotate to bit23 after bit0
                  djnz      bitctr, #:loop          '128  jump to back and do another 24/32 bits for the next LED

bit23         long      1<<23

Andy
  • Brilliant work Andy, that's exactly what I needed.

That 24/32 bit flexibility is good for the RGBW strips

Thanks & regards
    tubular

• Amazing tubular! As a fan of prop controlled blinky lights, this is outstanding!