Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Forum members provide take-a-break gift to Chip! — Parallax Forums

Forum members provide take-a-break gift to Chip!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2014-01-30 22:50 in Propeller 2
Hello,

I've received some PayPal money from these forum members (edited for anonymity):

Person abc $50
Person def $20
Person ghi $20
Person jkl $20

I will be transmitting this $110 to Chip so he can take his big family (five children) out to dinner or for some other special purpose he might have in mind.

The forum members are thanking him for his continued work on Propeller 2 and hope to see him take a break over the Christmas holiday!

Thanks guys, and pleased to help -

Ken Gracey

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2013-12-25 21:30
    That's very thoughtful of you guys, but I'm not sure I deserve it. I have been on this project eight years now and could have finished at several junctures, already. To me, this project is more exciting now than it's ever been, as your collaboration makes it really stimulating. I know some of you reading this would have fired me six years ago, perhaps rightly so. Parallax, Beau, and I are kind of stuck together, at this point, and we all need Prop2 done soon, which it will be, God willing.

I'll do something good with your gift and then report back. Thanks a lot for your kindness.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-12-25 22:37
    Two more gifts have arrived:

Person mno $110
    Person pqr $35

Chip, with these additional contributions you could do something out of the ordinary, like taking the family to the coast for the weekend.

Ken Gracey
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-12-26 03:51
    cgracey wrote: »
    That's very thoughtful of you guys, but I'm not sure I deserve it. I have been on this project eight years now and could have finished at several junctures, already. To me, this project is more exciting now than it's ever been, as your collaboration makes it really stimulating. I know some of you reading this would have fired me six years ago, perhaps rightly so. Parallax, Beau, and I are kind of stuck together, at this point, and we all need Prop2 done soon, which it will be, God willing.

I'll do something good with your gift and then report back. Thanks a lot for your kindness.
    No matter how long this has taken you deserve many thanks for sharing the process with all of us, especially over the past few months. I've only had one other chance to be involved during the design of a processor and that was with a company I worked for. I think it is pretty much unheard of for a commercial enterprise like Parallax to share this with their customers. Thanks for giving us this opportunity!

I hope you're having a wonderful holiday and will come back refreshed after your time off!

David
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2013-12-26 04:05
    Take a well deserved break with the family Chip, you've definitely earned it :)
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-12-27 10:50
    Hey all,

The Chip Fund took in some British Quid and Ozzie Bucks over the last couple of days, so it sits somewhere around $300. Now there's certainly enough to take a trip to the coast for the weekend.

As soon as Chip sends me his PayPal address I'll transfer it all over. In the meantime, I'm enjoying collecting the interest on his fun funds.

Ken Gracey
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-12-27 14:48
    Share a little something with one of your other projects. The oven maker?
    edited 2013-12-27 14:51
    jazzed wrote: »
    Share a little something with one of your other projects. The oven maker?
    Yeah, the pizza oven! I wanted to buy one of those from Chip but I suspect it would cost a fortune to ship it to NH.
    edited 2014-01-30 09:09
    Well, we bought some chest waders, a fishing license, and went to the coast on Tuesday to find some shellfish. We had a great time. I took my son Charles, two of his school friends, and Ray, an 80-year-old friend of ours who knows all about where to go in the Humboldt Bay to capture various things. He wound up catching 80% of what was caught. He was tireless. He even stopped by yesterday to clean the clams. We got four buckets of crabs, one bucket of horse neck clams, and one of big mussels. Oh, and one of seaweed, which Ray and I both happen to enjoy eating.

It was 8 hours of driving there and back, and I want to go again soon when there's another daylight low tide. I had never done anything like that before. Charles liked being with his friends, but wasn't so into the work of prying, digging, and trudging through muddy swamps that vacuum-trap your heels with every step - you need to walk on your toes. He got water into his waders, so he had to change at the end of the day.

At first, we went to find some mussels. Ray took us to a rocky slope at the end of an isthmus. The tide was already out pretty far. At first we (not including Ray) couldn't see any mussels, but once we realized what we were looking at, we could see them everywhere among the rocks. They were huge! These mussels were over a pound each. Here is a picture of the boys, with Charles on the right, holding some mussels:

coast1.jpg

After that, we went to another part of the bay where the receding tide had left a huge muddy field where some old pier pilings went way out into the bay. Ray ran out there and started catching crabs, tossing them from mud holes onto the swamp surface where we could get them into buckets. We were also digging up horse neck clams in this area. That was something new. Here is a video I found that shows what this is all about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re_n8jMsynE

When the tide goes out, you look for mud patterns indicating holes underneath. These holes can fit two fingers, and you just follow them down, digging mud as you go. You eventually feel a fleshy nub which is the retracted neck of the clam, sticking about 1" out of it's shell. As you dig the mud around the clam's shell, you can finally wiggle it free and pull it out. These things were a little beyond elbow depth. We battered and fried them last night and they were really good.

Here is a picture from the end of the day:

coast2.jpg

Those crabs are like little kids that fight for no reason. Notice that one's main claw is missing? Some other crab was certainly holding on to it, without any plan of what to do with it. Mine!!!

I was up until 2am cooking those crabs outside. It's amazing that something so mild-tasting can come out of that methane mud swamp.

Thanks, all you guys, for your generosity. This was good inspiration and impetus from you to do something new and interesting. I love seafood, and our kids are developing a taste for it, too. My wife is not so interested and is a little disgusted that the garage smells like the ocean, still. We'll probably clean it later today. We've still got a bunch of mussels to cook.
    1024 x 768 - 59K
    1024 x 768 - 77K
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-01-30 09:35
    Thanks for sharing Chip.

Looks like you all had a blast.

Crabs fighting like kids sounds familiar somehow. I've been told that you can put 2 crabs in a box, and they won't let each other escape. Not sure if that's true because I've never seen it. Sounds a lot like some crabbyistas I've met though :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-30 09:47
    Those mussels are HUGE. Just had some last night. One the East Coast They tend to be about the size of a Tablespoon.

Good to see you got a day off with the kids!

Jim
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2014-01-30 09:50
    Thanks for sharing Chip, glad you all had a great time :) well deserved too!
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2014-01-30 10:14
    coast1.jpg
    What's the kid in the middle holding?
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2014-01-30 10:16
    It looks like something that takes a core sample of the beach, probably with the clam inside the core sample. :)
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-01-30 10:27
    What's the kid in the middle holding?

That's a club to whack anyone that suggests that FORTH may be the best language for digging clams...

C.W.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-01-30 10:51
    ctwardell.
    That's a club to whack anyone that suggests that FORTH may be the best language for digging clams...
    What an excellent idea. FORTH cub culling.
    Best to get them whilst they are still young and haven't had time to breed.
    edited 2014-01-30 10:56
    jazzed wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing Chip.

Looks like you all had a blast.

Crabs fighting like kids sounds familiar somehow. I've been told that you can put 2 crabs in a box, and they won't let each other escape. Not sure if that's true because I've never seen it. Sounds a lot like some crabbyistas I've met though :)

Well, I saw ray try to toss some out of the mud hole, and one crab was holding onto his shovel and another onto that crab.
    edited 2014-01-30 10:57
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    It looks like something that takes a core sample of the beach, probably with the clam inside the core sample. :)

That's right. Where we clam digging, though, was muddy, and that wouldn't have done a thing. It would have worked fine in sand, though.

There's a hole on the top side of the handles that you plug with your thumb before pulling it up. It sucks a column of wet sand out.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2014-01-30 13:28
    Really pleasd you took some time out to do something amazing. Just dont let those crabs get hold of your fingers though ;)

We have caught plenty of crabs in many different ways. But never collectd clams.
    edited 2014-01-30 22:50
    Well, we bought some chest waders, a fishing license, and went to the coast on Tuesday to find some shellfish. We had a great time.
    Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad you were able to get away for some time with the family and a bit of relaxation. You certainly deserved it!