Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Christmas Turkey projects ? — Parallax Forums

Christmas Turkey projects ?

Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
edited 2014-01-06 07:47 in General Discussion
The Christmas Turkey Project...

Back in the day a young lad might have gotten a Commodore C64 or some such computer for Christmas and he may have ended up writing his first "Hello World" program in BASIC over the Christmas holiday. In my case it was a TRS-80 and later Atari ST520, although I was not exactly a kid any more:)

The owner of one software company I worked for had written a real-time task scheduler for the PDP11 over a Christmas break.

In recent years I have found my self tinkering with ideas on Propellers whilst everyone else in the house is passed out through a overdose of food and drink or glued to the Christmas specials on the TV.

So there is something of a tradition of a Christmas holiday project- The "Christmas Turkey" project. Ideally something small and self contained and fun.

So two questions:

1) Has anyone else out there been part of this great Christmas tradition? And if so what did you get up to?

2) This year I don't have an idea yet. Any suggestions?

Comments

• prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-12-22 06:50
    Heater. wrote: »
    The Christmas Turkey Project...

I have found my self tinkering with ideas on Propellers whilst everyone else in the house is passed out through a overdose of food and drink or glued to the Christmas specials on the TV.

So there is something of a tradition of a Christmas holiday project- The "Christmas Turkey" project. Ideally something small and self contained and fun.

So two questions:

1) Has anyone else out there been part of this great Christmas tradition? And if so what did you get up to?

2) This year I don't have an idea yet. Any suggestions?

1) We are not allowed to do anything unless it involves at least other member of the family until they all go home. But maybe I can get a few of the kids to help with "how should it do that?" if I don't say "define requirements" so I might give it a try.

2) you might check out the load balancing multitasker in PF6? Although its probably too simple and it wouldn't be fun for very long. You'd figure it out in 5 minutes and be bored.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-12-22 06:53
    I'm planning on finishing my scara arm and having it do something. A holiday related project that I'm considering is having my revolute arm move some letter blocks around to spell something holiday related.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2013-12-22 07:03
    I do miss the "Hack the Halls" contest from last year. Big fun, but IIRC the deadline was before Christmas, conflicting big time with the holiday rush. IMO we need an organized effort to do projects in the lull between Dec 25 and Jan 1.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-12-22 07:27
    erco,
    IMO we need an organized effort to do projects in the lull between Dec 25 and Jan 1.

Yes, yes.

In much of Europe we get an extra day. They tend to treat the 24th as the big day.

Family members can be included, I might need some help in testing that 200v Nixie Tube power supply for example :)
    edited 2013-12-22 07:44
    In much of Europe we get an extra day. They tend to treat the 24th as the big day.

You Europeans sure get a lot of extra holidays off! I found out the hard way that Easter Monday is holiday in France. I was bicycle touring there solo several years ago and had to do ~120 miles eating nothing but Snickers bars and Fanta since all the restaurants were closed. Train station snack machines were my only friends.
    edited 2013-12-22 07:49
    Parsing is everything. When I first read this thread title, I assumed you meant "Turkey projects", as in doomed/loser projects done over Christmas.

Projects done over "Christmas turkey" is very different.
    edited 2013-12-22 08:00
    Erco,

I meant exactly what I wrote. Both ways round :) A play on words and all that.

It's not unknown for there to be soldering iron wielding going on whilst consuming turkey sandwiches for days after Christmas. Such a project may also be doomed.

Europeans don't get a lot of extra holidays. Citizens of the New World are deprived:(
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-22 09:45
    ....dang Puritan work ethic!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2013-12-22 10:11
    My goal for the Christmas break is to see if I can establish a WiFi connection between an iPad and a Propeller Activity Board using the new XBee WiFi S6Bs (100 arrived at Parallax on Friday), with techBASIC on the iPad. The pieces of this puzzle seem within reach to me, so I'll give it a try. Even if I'm blinking LEDs from an iPad I'll be happy with my success. I'll probably start a thread if anybody else wants to do the same over break.

You'll need an iPad, $15 for techBASIC and some XBee WiFi units (which I can send if you want to play along).

Ken Gracey
    edited 2013-12-22 10:54
    Can't afford an iPad. :(
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-12-22 13:26
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    My goal for the Christmas break is to see if I can establish a WiFi connection between an iPad and a Propeller Activity Board using the new XBee WiFi S6Bs (100 arrived at Parallax on Friday), with techBASIC on the iPad. The pieces of this puzzle seem within reach to me, so I'll give it a try. Even if I'm blinking LEDs from an iPad I'll be happy with my success. I'll probably start a thread if anybody else wants to do the same over break.

You'll need an iPad, $15 for techBASIC and some XBee WiFi units (which I can send if you want to play along).

Ken Gracey
    I have an iPad Mini Retina + cellular (v.nice device indeed) and I would love to help.
    But, I will be P2'ing any time I get :)

And, I have a grandson of nearly 5 who we are giving a V8 model engine to and I will be helping him put it together ;)
    And the other grandson of 2 who will be demanding equal time.
    And our second daughter-in-law is pregnant and due between Xmas & NY, plus our granddaughter of 1 1/2.
    And our daughter will be arriving end January and she is pregnant with twins due June - she now lives in Korea.

If there is any spare time left, I would like to get my 3D Printer running - have everything. And then my quadcopter.

Do you think I am covered?
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2013-12-22 14:19
    I have the latest IPod touch connecting with bluetooth LE (4.0) to a Propeller.

I'm using this bluetooth receiver- http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CB-OBS421I-16-0/809-1058-ND/3837627

and this app from the Apple App Store- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cb-olp425/id575523395?mt=8
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2013-12-22 14:22

Ken Gracey

Ken- I'd be interested in playing along with this if the app will work on the IPod Touch. You have my contact info if you'd care to send one my way.
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    edited 2013-12-22 14:28
    Wow! I have to work Monday and Tuesday and I have absolutely nothing to do at work. Then I have Wednesday through Sunday off. I have an iPad and I'm going to order techBasic just to have it. The only trouble is I have an adult daughter who moved back home (yup - I'm one of those). So I don't have my man cave anymore - it's her apartment. No work table, no soldering station, no power supply, etc.
    I think I might be able to find my PPDB. What else do I need Ken? I want to get my order in immediately. I can probably at least start to experiment with techBasic on Monday/Tuesday.
    edited 2013-12-22 14:31
    I'd love to get my quadcopter running, but (see my last post) it is relegated to the pole barn since my daughter has my man cave. I bought my grandson a Hubsan quad for Christmas and I'll be teaching him to fly on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but then he and his dad are on their own.
  • Duane C. JohnsonDuane C. Johnson Posts: 955
    edited 2013-12-22 15:25
    Hi dmagnus;
    dmagnus wrote: »
    The only trouble is I have an adult daughter who moved back home (yup - I'm one of those). So I don't have my man cave anymore - it's her apartment. No work table, no soldering station, no power supply, etc.
    Sounds like you need to rent an apartment with a beer cooler.

Duane J
    edited 2013-12-22 15:42
    Hi neighbor.
    Boy, do I EVER! Not only is my Man Cave gone, but she also has two dogs and two cats. We have a small house. I'M GOIN NUTS!!!
    I did manage to eke out a very small area for my ham radio, but there is no room for the other stuff...
    edited 2013-12-22 19:18
    It ain't rocket science, but the little BS1 "Knock Box" which I made 2 years ago over break remains one of my favorite quickie Christmas projects. I was quite pleased that the little piezo disk worked well as a knock sensor on my first attempt.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-12-23 08:23
    I am working on an ADC0834 board to plug into my Propeller Mini as an add-on module. One more soldering session and it should be done.

The one thing that absolutely drives me crazy is the Double Turkey Whammy! This is when you host a huge turkey dinner for Thanksgiving, have to eat leftover turkey this and turkey than in the run up to Christmas, and then your dear spouse (or mom) cooks yet another turkey for Christmas dinner to force feed you more leftover turkey into the new year.

It is Christmas! Get a goose, get a ham, get a suckling pig, or get get a nice big pizza! Not another few weeks of leftover turkey.
    edited 2013-12-23 09:15
    No Turkey! We're going to have all kinds of noshing stuff, ham rollups, lotsa different dips and crackers, wind, booze, etc. And, I'm going to roast frest chestnuts over an open fire. Melt some butter with cinnamon in it to dip them in. I'm trying to talk somebody into wrapping some of them in bacon. BACON!!! YES!
    edited 2013-12-23 09:18
    dmagnus wrote: »
    We're going to have all kinds of noshing stuff, ... wind, ...

I thought the wind came AFTER (and because of) the booze & bacon-based noshing.

I like wings myself.
    edited 2013-12-23 09:22
    Cant edit my post. 'wind' shoulda been 'wine'. And I forgot the Tom and Jerrys! I hope there isn't too much wind to fly the mini quads in the back yard.
  • RickInTexasRickInTexas Posts: 124
    edited 2013-12-23 13:46

Ken Gracey

Ken,

I've got an iPad 2 (and an iPad 1 with a cracked, yet still working screen), an Activity board, and a well equipped workbench. I don't have techBASIC, but I would gladly spring for that.

RickInTexas
    edited 2013-12-23 14:05
    RickInTexas,
    ...and an iPad 1 with a cracked, yet still working screen...

Sorry, can't help but chuckle. Normally we think of "cracked" software or "rooted" phones and tablets but it seems all iThings have cracked screens. There is a big cottage industry fixing them.
    edited 2013-12-23 15:06
    Heater,

Ha, that didn't even occur to me when I typed that. My Wife is happy to read her JD Robb junk on a shattered display. When I got the replacement iPad 2, I immediately got a Kensington Bluetooth full-size keyboard with a bulky, clunky case. Overpriced, like i-Accesories, but wonderful Wifey went to Fry's and waited in line to get it for like $20. (Retail is $100, street price ~$50)
    seems all iThings have cracked screens. There is a big cottage industry fixing them.

Yeah, choices were diy with questionable parts and a HEAT GUN to dismantle, or $200 to Apple. Ugh.

I did think of rooting (or whatever the term for all things "i") due to the fact that I could not even able to use Bluetooth with regular app like Blueterm, so I got a Asus T300FT (Android) for things like that.

Like to have both, Android for sandbox, still use iPad for secure opps, shopping, etc.

Rick In Texas
    edited 2013-12-23 15:16
    RickInTexas,
    ...or $200 to Apple. Ugh....
    No, I meant "cottage industry". I have no idea what goes on in the rest of the world but, for example, a young guy opened a shop in the office building where I work in Helsinki doing nothing but fixing iPhones and iPads. He is totally independent of Apple. I notice he has an endless queue of customers every day.
    edited 2013-12-23 15:19
    RickInTexas,

...still use iPad for secure opps, shopping, etc.

This worries me. I have no reason to suspect that any platform is more secure than another when it comes to on line transactions.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-12-23 15:34
    Not when that secure data gets sent insecure to the people who deal with it. Happens all the time. The spiffy https you see helps prevent man in the middle and phishing kinds of attacks, but it does little to prevent inside attacks.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2013-12-23 15:36
    And he will too. Apple does very little real service on their products. People like that are sprouting up all over the place. Sometimes they will mix services, phones, pads, jailbreaking, game console modding, upgrades, you name it. I find it kind of amazing. So many things with so many dead end, "just buy another one" expectations.
    edited 2013-12-23 17:07
    RickInTexas,

This worries me. I have no reason to suspect that any platform is more secure than another when it comes to on line transactions.

Well, I generally agree, but I load a lot more stuff on my PC an Android devices and it seems that historically that Apple has been "less insecure" due simply to their restricted, locked down system.

With the massive Target department store CC breach here in the States, I wonder about getting an identity theft program e.g. Lifelock et.al., but that's another thread.

RickInTexas