Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Shack introduces 3D printer — Parallax Forums

Radio Shack introduces 3D printer

ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
edited 2013-09-13 03:01 in General Discussion
I received an email this morning from Radio Shack for an Afina H479 3D printer.

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2013-09-11 10:14
    Interesting statements about the drawbacks of open source software for 3D printers.

They're also talking about providing serious support by phone and on-line.

The big question is whether or not these are stocked in stores. Such a commitment to this hardware would be very significant.
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-09-11 10:22
    I looked for one within fifty miles (the farthest you can look) and no go. After looking at the video I think this comes assembled. For the price they want I would hope so.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-09-11 10:27
    so far, all the working 3D printers i've seen in person were hand built by the operator.
    All the non-working printers were prebuilt/purchased units.

The few prebuilt 3D printers that were working (successfully printing) were directly supported by personel from the manufacturer.

I don't get around much, but there might be something to this. If you build one yourself, you tend to have learned everything about the unit. Those that buy one and expect it to "just work" encounter issues.

i hope its different with these.
  • vanmunchvanmunch Posts: 568
    edited 2013-09-11 11:51
    Make Magazine compaired ~20 printers a few months ago and that printer was the top dog even ahead of even the Replicator 2. These are also available on Amazon.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-09-11 12:03
    Unless 3D priners will be able to output something, that will have strength of at least polycarbonate of same thickness, and consumables won't have plutonium prices, I don't see any future for home 3D printing.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2013-09-11 12:58
    Would this material work for you?

http://colorfabb.com/xt/xt-colorfabb-300.html

I've seen it described as 'almost transparent' at 100% infill, and tougher than the ABS material.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2013-09-11 14:27
    The problem with material strength is that what ever is used has to be fairly thermoplastic. If it doesn't melt it won't work. Most of the tougher plastics are highly polymerized and can't be easily melted.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2013-09-11 14:32
    My personal opinion is that you should be able to use something commonly found in a hardware store ..... such as weed whacker replacement line.
  • Too_Many_ToolsToo_Many_Tools Posts: 765
    edited 2013-09-11 15:24
    CuriousOne wrote: »
    Unless 3D priners will be able to output something, that will have strength of at least polycarbonate of same thickness, and consumables won't have plutonium prices, I don't see any future for home 3D printing.

RS already has 3D feedstock in the inventory.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2013-09-11 17:40
    Our printer here at OregonTech by this fall will run on remelted soda bottles .

We got a student whom works for Xerox 700 Feet up the road from us whom is got Xerox's support for us .
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2013-09-11 18:00
    Pretty good reviews, should not be impossible to find a 10% off RS coupon someday
    But here is a $20 off Orders over $125: FWSEP13 and fatwallet kickback is 2.5%

http://reviews.cnet.com/3d-printers/afinia-h-series-h479/4505-33809_7-35618555.html
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,762
    edited 2013-09-11 18:51
    I checked this out and online inventory for the region was zero in stores. I suspect that this will be a Direct to You product, bought in store and shipped to your chosen dextination with no shipping charge.
    Jim
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-09-11 20:19
    plot twist: It prints cell phones.....
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-09-11 20:23
    plot twist: It prints cell phones.....

Another plot twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=us3dQ0nnlHY#t=8
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-09-11 20:30
    erco wrote: »

Ouch! Didn't see that coming! It appears to print old polyester!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-09-11 20:41
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Ouch! Didn't see that coming!

I'll never forget my grandfather's dying words:

"A truck...!" :)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2013-09-11 21:23
    Ken Gracey wrote:
    Interesting statements about the drawbacks of open source software for 3D printers.
    True, but it's not hard to see how one might arrive at that conclusion. When I print to my laser printer, it just prints what I see on the screen. If MakerBot had designed my laser printer, I would have to specify how many kilovolts are necessary to make the toner adhere to the print drum for any particular kind of print. Is it fair to blame the fact that their driver software is open-source for this? No, of course not: it's not a causal relationship, but there is an undeniable correlation.

As another example, one need only look as far as Gimp vs Corel PhotoPaint. Gimp (an open-source image editor) has scads of image-processing power, but the bells and whistles do get in the way of productivity for new users. PhotoPaint is, by far, the more intuitive.

The advantage of proprietary software is that one can cleave to a seamless vision of what the product should do for a particular market segment and focus on that, without including features, options, and settings that, in the long run, only confuse one's customers.

I paid more than $7500 for a laser cutter that just works. I would gladly pay an equal amount for a 3D printer that does the same. My $1500 MakerBot does not. Perhaps RadioShack will succeed where MakerBot has failed.

-Phil
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-09-12 06:55
    ... Is it fair to blame the fact that their driver softweare is open-source for this? No, of course not: it's not a causal relationship, but there is an undeniable correlation.
    I paid more than $7500 for a lser cutter that just works. I would gladly pay an equal amount for a 3D printer that does the same. My $1500 MakerBot does not. Perhaps RadioShack will succeed where MakerBot has failed.

As we've all seen, software tends to lag behind the hardware by about ten years. Its only a question of who gets there first.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2013-09-12 07:25
    I am sorry, but it seems to be another Radio Shack drama. They have been dumping all and everything that didn't hit a home run in the last few seasons, and now they may bet the farm on 3-D printing.

Parallax's business model of having depth in supporting everything they sell is much saner.

How can a retail outlet expect to interest people into buying items that the staff are not very familiar with? This isn't about selling electronics. It is all about why people prefer to buy from outlets the like and trust... even if things cost a bit more.

$7500 USD for a laser cutter could be a bargain if you can run it 24 hours around the clock for 5 days a week and provide a lot of product to a high demand volume.

On the flip side, a 3-D printer for $7500 USD might be equally worthwhile; whereas a $200 USD system that runs in fits and starts could destroy any enterprise before it every got the doors open.

This $1500 3-D printer from Radio Shack might be a good boost in sales for them in rough times. It may be an excellent machine for small enterprises as well. But hobbyist tend to be overly price sensitive and not to invest in long-term value.

Face it, most of the industrial robotics was deployed in the automotive industry when Parallax was just starting out. It was expensive, but it has paid for itself many times over. Robotics arc welding and robotic automotive painting are doing a huge amount of industrial work these days.

The people that really need industrial 3-D printing to generate castings and models have been buying at the top end of the market... and making money. Where do you think all those plastic give-aways from McDonalds start from?
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-09-12 15:03
    A couple weeks ago I decided that I need a print area larger than my trusty Thing-O-Matic, not having the time to build my own I was going to purchase a Replicator 1 from MakerBot. I think the Replicator 1 is superior to the new closed source Replicator 2 for various reasons. Wouldn't you know it that MakerBot no longer sells the Replicator 1. Fortunately (I guess) a Chinese company has cloned the Replicator 1, even correcting a couple flaws, and sells it for roughly half the price as the original - with dual print heads and heated build platform. Its called the Flashforge Creator.

It arrived in less than five days shipped via FedEx, comes fully assembled and works perfectly with MakerWare (which Phil would appreciate), it also includes two full rolls of ABS filament.

I have run about a pound of filament through it so far and the only problem Ive encountered was that one of the pulleys came loose. I should've checked them all for tightness but oh well. A little bit of locktite and all is well. It has been so reliable that I don't even need to monitor it. I load an SD card, start the print then leave.

Today I used it to make a camera mount that will clamp to the crossbar of a hang glider.

clamp01.jpg
    1024 x 765 - 71K
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-09-12 15:30
    CuriousOne wrote: »

There are many things that do not require that much strength but are still useful. I have printed many items that are plenty strong enough to be put into service. One item in particular that saved the day was when I had to replace the universal joint on my drywall sander - one of those screen sanders on the end of a pole. I had two of them, and they both broke within a few minutes of each other. The 3D printed replacement part solved the problem and has not yet failed.
  • CuriousOneCuriousOne Posts: 931
    edited 2013-09-13 03:01
    Well, it depends.

For example, I also needed camera mount, but I needed a sturdy construction, so plastic was no go. My CNC saved me again :)

Personally, I see 3D printing in a bit different way.

Imagine, a cube made of steel or whatsoever hard/strong enough. there are billions of micrometer thickness needles from all sides, length of which is controllable. You put in some metal powder mix, the needles take the required positions, everything is heated up, and new part is baked. This will be really the great advancement in 3d printing. Sure, you can't do all shapes with it, especially hollow ones, but still, this approach looks much more usable than current 3d printer ideas.