Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SF-02 laser range finder — Parallax Forums

SF-02 laser range finder

prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
edited 2013-11-26 23:07 in General Discussion
A while back, a thread discussion resulted in the DS00, a surveyor grade laser range finder with a range of about 350 meters. That effort has evolved into the SF-02, a less expensive unit that targets us, the pro-hobbyist enthusiasts.

The SF-02 laser range finder has range of about 40 meters (minimum full sunlight), and does about 12 samples per second. Accuracy should be about 1 cm over the entire range. The package is said to weight 70g.

I might be able to get hold of a few early parts. The specs may be different when the actual parts arrive, but the these should be close.

Is anybody interested in this?

Note: This sensor is not intended to compete with any Parallax offerings, as it is completely different than most anything on the market that I know of. If this post violates any polices or anything, please let me know and I'll remove it if the moderators don't get to it first.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-08-29 13:27
    I recall the discussion.

I'm interested in this device.

As a lot things I'm interested in, my willingness to part money for it will depend on the price of the device. Has a price been set yet?

IIRC, the earlier version was reasonably priced. I just didn't have a need to justify the expense.
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2013-08-29 13:47
    I'm interested. The cost is key as Duane indicated. Ultrasonic is so slow and diffuse so having a couple of range sensors that can't interfere with each other is interesting. What is the minimum distance it can report?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-08-29 13:57
    It's still on the new site:

http://www.parallax.com/product/28044

Iv'e noticed
    stuff has been changing today.with the website and links.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-08-29 14:00
    erco wrote: »

It's on the beta site, here.

Guess the beta went LIVE!!! It's linked out of this product page.

I was always impressed by laser targeting ever since the original Andromeda Strain way back in ....well, a long time ago....I guess they went a bit beyond "targeting"!
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-08-29 14:08
    I am also interested - depending upon the cost.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2013-08-29 14:13
    You guys are just smarter than me, that's all. It was my foolish Yahoo search that led me to this dead end: http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/ProductID/774/List/0/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-08-29 14:16
    The minimum distance appears to be zero meters, but I won't know until the official docs come out and I test it.

The ds00 direct price was $350 USD, the SF-02 is supposed to be slightly cheaper between $300 and $350 USD. I suppose it has to do with production cost and volume, we should have a solid number shortly, I know cheaper tends to be better. :) If the demand is too low, the price goes higher (and I guess it dries up); and if the demand goes up to a certain volume, there's a cheaper per unit cost and the price goes down. Please bear in mind that these are not official numbers until they are announce by the source, but these should be in the ballpark.

One factor the may be of interest is the original ds00 weighed in at 210g, while the SF-02 weighs only 70g. I think most of the weight was in the first generation optics, the lenses heavy and the lens mounts were metal. I think the new lenses are a lighter material, and there might be a plastic lens mount. Again, I won't know for sure until I get it in my hands.

I did see Joe's LRF in a couple articles. The range was only about two meters and it did not do so well in direct sunlight. Also I don't recall it doing 12 readings per second. Of course, Joe's was much lower priced, so would be appropriate some applications and not for others.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2013-08-29 14:27
    This is a time-of-flight range finder correct? Joe's LRF uses triangulation.
    edited 2013-08-29 14:40
    That discussion was at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/133632-Time-of-Flight-Laser-Project/page10

Whatever became of the "not for sale in the USA" stipulation?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-08-29 14:57

One thing that's cool about Joe Grand's LRF is it uses a camera which can be hacked for other purposes.

Parallax's LRF use triangulation to find distances. I believe the SF-02 measures the time of flight of the laser light (a much harder task IMO).
    edited 2013-08-29 15:04
    W9GFO wrote: »
    This is a time-of-flight range finder correct? Joe's LRF uses triangulation.

Time of flight. It was hard to get my hear around this method the first time around. It does a LOT of fast measurements, and build these into a single reading. It can't find the term that got me the wiki page that cleared it up, but here' how I see it:

Its sorta like an optical strobe tuner on a guitar string. The strobe is flashing at the desired frequency, and the string is vibrating at a similar frequency. The difference between the two is seen as a much slower pulse that slows down and eventually stops when the string is tuned to the proper frequency, as flashed by the strobe. This isn't quite the same as what the laser is doing, but helps me get my head around how lots of fast stuff we can't see can be combined into a something we can see and measure. Maybe it is the same except instead of changing the frequency of the string, we are changing the distance to the target. Now my head hurts, I better take a walk.

here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_down_converter
    edited 2013-08-29 15:53
    That discussion was at http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/133632-Time-of-Flight-Laser-Project/page10

Whatever became of the "not for sale in the USA" stipulation?

It had to do with FDA approval for the class 1M laser. Since this is a bunch of paper work, expense, and PITA, he opted to hold of on the expense until the "real" production unit was ready. It also allowed him to sell off the first run (DS00) to pay for this one. As I understand it they sold very quickly, which is why he continued with an item to be sold in the US.

I believe the paperwork has all been shuffled, and the laser tested on an official certified class 1M laser testing machine (whatever that might be). So we should be seeing them sometime soon.
    edited 2013-08-29 16:24
    Time of flight. It was hard to get my hear around this method the first time around. Now my head hurts, I better take a walk.

Delve deeply into the details of Michelson's 1922-28 apparatus to measure light's time of flight, and that will get your head (and 16-sided mirror) spinning: http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/physics/historical-speed-of-light-measurements-in-southern-california/the-mount-wilson-station-1922-1928
    edited 2013-08-31 07:51
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_down_converter[/QUOTE]

The explanation in the lightware documentation has a picture. It shows lots of little, quick pulses. We can detect they happened, but can't really see the shape of the wave. The device triggers and detect s whole bunch of these, and gradually they are compiled into a larger, slower pattern the reveals the average of the small events. Kind of like doing a pencil rubbing on an old headstone. It does a whole slew of individual events, and reports the composite measurement 12 times a second.

To me its pretty cool, even though I have to think it through each time.

A couple folks started talking about using this hardware with a Doppler algorithm. Lightware say it should be possible, the raw data can accessed programmaticly via the built in microcontroller, and/or sent out for external processing. I don't know how well it will work. Somebody should say its impossible.
    edited 2013-11-03 09:18
    OK, I got the evaluation samples in!

70 grams, fits inside a cigarette pack (although the lens diameter is slightly bigger than the pack, so I can't close the top)

Out of the bag, connected to the USB port, the terminal program starts spitting out distance readings, just as the DS00

In outdoors on an overcast, humid afternoon, 43F, the farthest reading I got were 39-40 meters, when aimed at a reflective target (stop sign, lisense plate). Probably have to adjust something to get 60 meters, or maybe it was just too damp?

Distances below 20 meters were very consistent. Out of the box with default setting, 20 meters and below are very repeatable.

The deviation is about 2 cm minimum. When detecting the wall (about 1.39 metes) the reading were 1.38 to 1.40 m. Outside the reading bounced a little bit more, but I was walking and it was raining, I'll have to do a better test later.

Closest it reading was about 6 cm when it displayed 0.00 meters. There is an offset in the firmware that we can adjust for the edge of our robot, but I didn't mess with it yet.

Summary: This thing is awesome and totally rocks!
    edited 2013-11-03 13:47
    OK, I found out more on the cost.

The SF02 is listed at $250. The shipping cost from South Africa is about $320. So the total cost to the purchaser direct from the manufacturer is $570. Wowsers! EDIT OK this is way wrong how do strikethrough?

The US price should be $350 plus local shipping. The unit is about 75 grams and about as big as a pack of cigarettes.

Anybody have any suggestion as to which US shipping is best for this situation?

I could use any of FedEx, USPS, or UPS, there are offices for each close by.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2013-11-03 15:30
    The shipping cost from South Africa is about $320. .... The unit is about 75 grams and about as big as a pack of cigarettes.

$350 for 75 grams?! Is it shipped via the Kon-Tiki, or someting?
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2013-11-04 05:13
    just wondering..
    Do you need a wide angle measure?
    Otherwise top notch units like this one are much cheaper:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leica-DISTO-Laser-Distance-Measurer/dp/B001AOUQXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383570432&sr=8-1&keywords=disto+laser
    or not top level:
    http://www.amazon.com/Laser-Distance-Meter-Uni-t-Ut391/dp/B008HNW9ZQ

Don't know if you can hack them...

Consider real life range is about half.

Masismo
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2013-11-04 09:17
    Hi;

In regard to the Leica Disto models, I hacked a much earlier model years ago with an SX chip, and it was a real bear. Had to interface to the output of the LCD driver, and the segments zoomed by very fast. I doubt a Propeller would be fast enough.

Cheers,

Peter (pjv)
    edited 2013-11-05 05:02
    OK, I got some clarification on the cost.

The SF02 is listed at $250. The total direct shipping cost from South from the manufacturer in Africa is about $320. So the shipping cost itemself is $70

The US SALE price should be $350 plus local shipping. The unit is about 75 grams and about as big as a pack of cigarettes.
    edited 2013-11-05 05:12
    max72 wrote: »
    Otherwise top notch units like this one are much cheaper:
    Leica-DISTO-Laser-Distance-Measurer
    or not top level:
    Laser-Distance-Meter-Uni-t-Ut391

We had some discussion on this when the first protoype came out.

Lase Developer says the next cheapest unit comparable to the DS00/SF02 is over $1000

I fiugre if a cheaper unit could be hacked, somebody smart would have done it already.

Remeber, this is not cheap electronics in a pretty expensive platic case that you are going to remove andthrow away, with a crappy stupid proof user interface that you have to work around. This is a the guts, nothing else, waiting to be put directly into your projects, and this is how it was designed from the get go. I made sure ot that when we started.

This unit is $250 of pro-quality laser sensor, and $70 of importing from SA.
    edited 2013-11-05 13:48
    It probably depends on the requirements.
    It is fast, but not accurate.
    For sure hacking a disto must be a nightmare, but the guts are quite nice, and some aspects outperform this unit at 1/3 the cost.
    Sf02 looks tailored for almost real time height from ground in a UAV. A handeld disto is for a very different use. Hence speed and accuracy.
    edited 2013-11-06 05:24
    One of the guys from the local robot club is talking about hacking $150 unit as in this discussion. My thought is he will have to cut through and throw away $75 worth of product to get to the $75 guts. But we shall see. If he gets to a working hack, we can compare them side by side. I think its now a personal challenge, but I won't guess how long until we see results.

I spent the evening upgrading my OLPC XO-1 so I can do proper outdoor testing. I plan to mount a visible light green laser in parallel for aiming. I'm getting the idea the SF02 is more accurate than in the documentation. It turns out the angle of the target surface is a big factor. When the target is even slightly off from orthogonal, the reading vary because the distances can change by several centimeters. It gets reading from the nearest edge and farthest edge, and points in between, and displays what ever it sees. So even the noise tells us something. COOL!
    edited 2013-11-06 08:47
    I think this is the irony of mass products.
    You take a 150$ unit, you throw away half of it, and what is left is worth a 200$ OEM, single purchase.. Not sure if it applies here.
    Massimo
    edited 2013-11-09 09:38
    Still waiting on the FDA accession.

http://www.fda.gov/radiation-emittingproducts/electronicproductradiationcontrolprogram/gettingaproducttomarket/default.htm

After that, we just have to track the contact info of each buyer, in case any issues pop up down the road they can be informed.

In the meantime, we have wait:
    Q13) If I want to sell my product immediately, is it acceptable to initially submit an incomplete product report?
    No. The reports you submit must contain all of the information required by the applicable regulation

• Laser DeveloperLaser Developer Posts: 140
    edited 2013-11-26 23:07
    The SF02 laser range finder has received approval for sale in the USA from the FDA. Please contact prof_braino for sales enquiries. :smile: