Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SDR potential for Prop2 — Parallax Forums

SDR potential for Prop2

bartgranthambartgrantham Posts: 83
edited 2013-07-10 20:04 in Propeller 2
I think I heard someone mention ham radio applications at the Propeller conference this past May and I'd like to discuss that further, if anyone is interested. In particular, what is the potential for doing some basic software-defined radio with the Propeller 2? Not thinking of really sophisticated applications, more thinking of a prototype demonstration of the technique. Bear in mind, I am something of a newbie to radio but I'd love to take the opportunity to learn more if the Propeller 2 would support my adventure.

IIRC Chip mentioned that the DACs should settle fast enough to enable up to ~250-300KHz if the Propeller 2 is running at 160MHz (512 clocks), which gives me a sense of the Prop2's ability to generate a local oscillator. What are some other ways it could generate plain-old sinewaves in a frequency-flexible manner? I assume the video hardware could be finagled into it, but how much control would one have over the resulting frequency?

As far as processing goes, AM seems pretty straightforward. Can anyone think of a reason FM wouldn't be possible, even if the fidelity was only so-so due to CORDIC speed/accuracy tradeoffs?

Comments