Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Altitude hold — Parallax Forums

Altitude hold

nmp115nmp115 Posts: 3
edited 2013-06-24 08:19 in Propeller 1
Hello, I have a Spektrum DX6i transmitter and am using a Hoverfly Open Board.
I have attached a Maxbotic sensor to my Quadcopter at the bottom and set my Gear gains for Travel Adj. At 1: 25% and 0: 25%. I have also tried other gain setting and neither one holds the Altitude. I've seen videos where a guy pushes his quadcopter down and it comes right back up. Why won't my quadcopter hold altitude? And i know it's reacting to the switch and has a reading because when hooked up to the computer it shows on the client.
Please help me out, thank you!

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-04-16 12:59
    nmp115 wrote: »
    set my Gear gains for Travel Adj. At 1: 25% and 0: 25%.

Do you mean " 0: -25%"? If not, then you need to change it. (I think.) The second percent should be negative.

I'm not one to give advice about this since I never got the altitude hold to work properly on my ELEV-8. I think I might have had a loose wire which hung down on interfered with the ultrasound.
  • nmp115nmp115 Posts: 3
    edited 2013-04-16 13:02
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Do you mean " 0: -25%"? If not, then you need to change it. (I think.) The second percent should be negative.

I'm not one to give advice about this since I never got the altitude hold to work properly on my ELEV-8. I think I might have had a loose wire which hung down on interfered with the ultrasound.

My DX6i has gains ranging from 0-125%, it doesn't go negative at all. You flip a switch and it changes to the second setting. Thanks for the input though.
    edited 2013-04-16 13:52
    My DX6i has gains ranging from 0-125%, it doesn't go negative at all. You flip a switch and it changes to the second setting. Thanks for the input though.

I have a DX7 which I doubt is very different from a DX6i. I'm not sure I set mine up correctly (my ELEV-8 crashed when I tried altitude hold). I'm going to take another look at the documentation and get back to you on this.

Hopefully someone else know more about this and can shed some light on it for us.

Other than the altitude hold, how is your ELEV-8 flying?
    edited 2013-04-16 14:05

I was playing with my transmitter a bit more. It sounds like you have the gains set correctly. I notice only two of the channels use negative gain notation. Most channels it's U(for up) and D(for down) etc. I'm guessing your transmitter doesn't use the negative notation.

I know altitude hold has to be enabled in the setup GUI (see page 62 of HoverFly Open manual Rev. 1).
  • nmp115nmp115 Posts: 3
    edited 2013-04-16 14:52
    Duane, I'll look at it and play with it more, but as far as how it's flying....I'm having so much fun! Kills battery fairly fast, but it's awesome, smooth flight, listens to what i do through transmitter....it's great!
  • StempileStempile Posts: 82
    edited 2013-06-22 14:23
    I too have not been able to get the altitude hold to work. I am using the HoverFly SPORT board. Reading other forums I found comments about the placement of the Maxbotic sensor. I had mounted it in the middle of the bottom plate. No go. The other comments mentioned EM noise from the TX and the ESCs. It suggested mounting it off to the side. I built a little boom that keeps the sensor out of the electrically noisy area. No change, still doesn't hold.

In the picture, the white plastic arm has the sensor double stick taped to the bottom.

Elev-8 with boom.JPG
    640 x 480 - 137K
  • Nick ErnstNick Ernst Posts: 138
    edited 2013-06-24 08:19
    Do you guys have the model for which MaxBotix Sensor you are using? I have used the LV-MaxSonar-EZ with my Sport board and it works fine. I had to tweak the Gain values, but after that it worked reliably. When I was initially doing tests with the MaxBotix Sensors, I found that this sensor is the only one that really worked reliably with the Sport board. The other sensors did not work as well as I had hoped they would, if at all.