Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropScope just stopped connecting? — Parallax Forums

PropScope just stopped connecting?

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2013-12-17 16:02 in Accessories
This morning I woke up and plugged my prop scope in.. my computer dinged as it does anytime I plug a USB device in. I opened the prop scope application and i then got an error saying the propscope could not be found. Next I rebooted my PC, unpluged the scope from USB, and Unpluged the probes. When the computer rebooted I plugged the scope back in, still the same error. Next I uninstalled and reinstalled the application, then rebooted. Still no dice.

The scope worked fine last time I used it and has just been sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. Im about to reformat my computer to see if that does the trick. Im running XP sp3. Does anyone know what may be causing this?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the scope does show up in my device manager as COM9 PropScope.

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-02-28 11:53
    I'd check the USB ports with something else before doing anything drastic like reformatting.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2013-02-28 12:06
    I tried several ports and a hub, it does the same on all the ports. My other USB devices work fine... Im thinking this has to be a software problem
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2013-02-28 12:09
    It looks more like a problem with the Propscope, if the ports work OK with other devices.
    edited 2013-02-28 12:36
    Well I popped the thing open plugged it in and threw a meter on it. Seems like all the voltages are right on the prop and ftdi chip and EEPROM I dont know what else to try.
    edited 2013-02-28 17:24
    Well I reformatted my system, needed to be done anyways, the Scope works again? I wonder what causes this issue... I hope it doesnt happen again.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2013-03-04 18:56
    I had the same thing happen. My Propscope connects on COM21. I know I could connect to it through PST but not the Propscope software. I went into my Windows device manager and disabled my bluetooth serial coms at 4,5,22,23 retried the Propscope and it connected! It won't connect if any of the bluetooth com ports is enabled. My guess is that the software only likes one com port to be available. Multiple com ports confuse it.
  • highplainsbubbahighplainsbubba Posts: 34
    edited 2013-06-23 12:56
    Just a quick question. Can you connect a prop scope to a module that is running Parallax Serial Term? I thought they used the same data lines.
  • umforecenterumforecenter Posts: 2
    edited 2013-11-07 07:33
    I can confirm that turning off Bluetooth (thereby making Propscope the ONLY com port) fixed this bug for me, too. Using 2.0.5 software. :cool:
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2013-12-17 16:02
  • How do I reformat my computer system to make the PropScope work again?
    I am having the same problem with my own PropScope device when I tried to run the PropScope program on my computer which results in a message being displayed that the device is not found.