Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Difficulty integrating μOLED-128-G2 with Propeller — Parallax Forums

Difficulty integrating μOLED-128-G2 with Propeller

guitar_plrguitar_plr Posts: 31
edited 2013-09-05 12:52 in Propeller 1
Hi All,

Just picked up the μOLED-128-G2 (parallax site said G1 but I got a G2). I followed the connection instructions for the sample object in the OBEX, with connection to my PPDB board:

Pin
1-> +5v
2-> TX (P7)
3-> RX (P6)
4-> GND
5-> RES (P5)

I tried loading the sample program "μOLED-128-GMD1_Demo" to the propeller, but when I power on all I get is the 4D Systems splash screen, followed by an analog/digital clock. Nothing seems to show up on the screen other than the built-in demo. I've also removed the jumper across pins 6+8 (per the 4D manual) to bypass any slide show.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• DrNowDrNow Posts: 6
    edited 2013-02-05 02:57
    I had the same problem a week ago. 'Bout drove myself crazy getting the part turned on.

Turns out the G2 is a lot different than the G1, and there are several steps to even getting it to understand serial commands. And even one you get that far, a new driver is required, as the serial commands from the G1 driver don't work (the G1 driver is on OBEX).
    I don't have time for all the details right now, but step one is to get a serial environment into the unit. That's done with a programming environment found on 4D's site.
    More later, if you're interested.

Jim
  • guitar_plrguitar_plr Posts: 31
    edited 2013-02-05 06:17
    Thanks Jim,

I appreciate the reply. Wow had no idea they were that different. So the display actually has to be set up internally before you can interface with it? I'll tinker around and see if I can get it set up per the 4D site and get some serial commands to the display.

If you have some time and could elaborate on what you did to get it working that would great!

Thanks!
    edited 2013-02-05 08:36
    About the G2, one aspect is that IMHO, Parallax is somewhat remiss in selling something different than what they advertise. They should be putting up lots of documentation if they are going to sell an updated, but different, part.

In any case, Step 1 is to work through the 4D site to find their Workshop 4 IDE download. With that installed on your PC, and after you load the Serial Environment on the G2, you can start poking the G2 using serial commands. These commands can be found in pdf buried in the 4D site. Don't forget the baud rate of the G2: it turns out that can be changed during the set up, so obviously if that happens, you'll need to adjust what ever you're using to connect to the G2. I used a little terminal program that is included in the Workshop 4 IDE, and started out at 9600 which is the default rate once the serial environment is loaded.

Step 2 is to figure out what commands you really need for your project, and write up a driver method for getting the propeller to send them out to the G2, as well as receive the ACK from the G2. For example, I need only text (a few colors) and rectangles for my project, so I didn't bother with most of the serial commands. First I tested them with their little terminal program, and after confirmation that the commands really worked, I wrote them into the driver method. For example, there are some commands that seemed only to freeze the display (ie changing baud rate on the fly). I didn't bother figuring out what's up with that.

Oh, and one other thing: sometimes when powered up, the G2 seems to be frozen. I dealt with this by sending a RESET signal from the propeller, waiting for the G2 to come alive again, and then started sending it serial commands.

I like the G2, but for all this trouble, I would rather have a G1, with the kinks already clarified.

Hope that helps,

Jim
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2013-02-05 09:39
    I think you should call Parallax Tech Support to confirm what you have going on. I recall an issue with both my G1 and G2 regarding timing of the signals and the power up of the display. As if the display booted slower than the prop so the initial signals from the prop would be lost. I figured it out after I could get them to consistently work if I reset the prop after having the display powered up for about 10 seconds.
    edited 2013-02-05 11:39
    Thanks guys,

Jim: Thanks for the details. How did you connect the display to your computer for use with the Workshop 4 IDE? On the site it talks about using a proprietary usb cable to interface with the display.

Andrew: Good idea, I'm going to give Parallax a call to see if they have any updates. Resetting the prop after boot up of the display is not fixing the issue, though.

Thanks again!
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-02-05 13:14
    Hi guitar_plr, I had just ordered a 4.3 inch lcd display from 4D systems directly. I had the same problem as you not being able to communicate. After talking to 4D I found out the new intelligent modules have to be programmed with their proprietary usb cable from your PC in Workshop 4 IDE. I was able to reprogram my module with the SGC PmmC file for the ealier model with their cable and was able to use it as a serial slave again.

You might log on to the 4D Systems forums and ask if you can download the uOLED-128-G2 with the PmmC file for the G1 SGC module.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2013-02-05 13:58
    Hey everyone, the OP just called and I am looking into this issue. We weren't aware of any changes in the display or compatibility and certainly not in requiring additional hardware and/or software to function. I will look into this and then reply back with my findings. In the mean time we'll probably disable the product for sale pending a determination. Thanks for letting us know about this issue.
    edited 2013-02-05 16:20
    Guitar: To connect to the PC, I happened to have a little dongle-unit floating in my tool bin from a prior 4D iteration, the uOLED-96-Prop. This interfaced with a usb cable.

Ratronic: The PmmC firmware that came with the G2 unit was weird: when put in the serial mode it seemed to indicate that the hardware was G1. But, the serial connection only worked if G2 codes were used. Also, I was able to update the PmmC firmware to version R24. There has been no change in the codes required to operate the unit, but at least it says it's a G2 on the display.

Chris: I recently purchased 4 of these G2 units from Parallax for a project of mine, thinking they were G1's. Now that I got them working, is there a chance I could get one more G2? Or how about a trade for a left-over G1 of mine?

Jim
  • ratronicratronic Posts: 1,451
    edited 2013-02-05 16:21
    Chris I haven't tried the latest uOLED128G2 but it looks like they have changed their firmware for all of the latest modules and they really are not serial slaves "out of the box" but can be programmed with the 4DGL language to be a stand alone serial slave. When I visited their forum to find out if it could be used as a serial slave that is when they pointed me to the prior modules firmware.

After installing the older firmware then it would power up as a serial slave excepting SGC serial commands like used in the demo in the OBEX. Don't know if this will work for this model and when reprogramming the firmware (in Workshop 4 IDE) it says if you use another vendors cable it could void the warranty.
    edited 2013-02-05 17:05
    I have an e-mail in to 4D Systems requesting the correct information about the module. Hopefully I will hear something back by tomorrow. In the meantime I can't do much else since I don't have a command list similar to the G1.
    edited 2013-02-07 12:54
    Thanks Everyone for your replies!

Chris: please let us know when you find out more from 4D Systems, and the next steps required.

Thanks!
  • kotsoskotsos Posts: 12
    edited 2013-02-10 16:23
    Hello Everyone!

I have a question relating to the 4D uLED screens as well:
    I own a 1.7 inch uOLED-160-G1GFX module and I am not sure if I can use this with any of the existing Parallax OBEX code or I'll have to re-write the drivers.
    If I understand well from the documentation, it is a G1 module (the GFX refers to the fact that it can be used standalone as well).
    Is there any difference, in terms of code, when this is used with the uOLED-160-GMD1 OBEX code?

Thanks!
    edited 2013-02-11 10:59
    Well, it turns out you were right...the G2 is not like the G1. So I gave the module to Kevin Cook in Tech Support and he's going to evaluate the module to see if we'll carry it as a new product. If we do there will be an announcement on it.
    edited 2013-02-11 12:15
    Okay, so to any customers who purchased the G1 and got a G2, please contact our customer service department if you'd like to return it. We'll gladly refund anyone who got that G2 module since that wasn't the product you were ordering. We're also sorry for the inconvenience.
    edited 2013-02-11 15:53
    Thanks for looking into this, Chris. I have a question and a comment:

- Will Parallax continue to offer G1 units?
    - After beating my head against the wall getting the G2 units to work, I'd recommend that Parallax carry them. The screens seem brighter than the G1 units to my eye. With proper documentation and a good example program in the OBEX, they'd be fine.
    Jim
    edited 2013-02-12 08:03
    Jim,

As far as I can tell, the G1 model is no longer available which is why they sent us the G2. In testing a few other displays from 4D Systems, Kevin is more familiar with the new software, which is why he'll be spearheading the possibility of us carrying the G2 model.
  • Jack ScarletJack Scarlet Posts: 15
    edited 2013-04-14 01:36
    I think you should call Parallax Tech Support to confirm what you have going on. I recall an issue with both my G1 and G2 regarding timing of the signals and the power up of the display. As if the display booted slower than the prop so the initial signals from the prop would be lost. I figured it out after I could get them to consistently work if I reset the prop after having the display powered up for about 10 seconds.

The minimum delay required for a µOLED-128-G2 after Propeller power on seems to be 1150 milliseconds. Temperature seems to plays a role.

Cheers :)

• pilot0315pilot0315 Posts: 834
    edited 2013-08-24 17:05
    Hello, anybody got some example code to talk to this device.
    edited 2013-08-28 15:48
    We're working on an object right now which will hopefully be available by Monday. I apologize for the delays on this, but there was someone affiliated with 4D Systems who used to write the examples for the displays for use with our products, however I have not seen any code from him on this module.
  • TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2013-08-28 20:48
    I would be willing to volunteer to test the G2 driver-object if that is helpful. It would be easiest if I could host the test on an propeller activity board.
    edited 2013-08-29 09:16
    Well I will have something hopefully Monday so we can finally get some working code for this product. Wish I knew what happened to Steve, who did previous objects.
    edited 2013-09-05 12:52
    Thanks for the info. I have been out for the last few days with my wife who has been very sick from chemo, so I haven't gotten back to the object. But I am back tomorrow and will work on the object through the day. I'm sure this information will help.