AmphiCat

ercoerco Posts: 18,185
edited January 2013 in Robotics Vote Up0Vote Down
All these posts about big outdoor GPS robots has me thinking about various chassis designs. I'll bet many of the "kids" here (born 1970 or later) have never seen the 6x6 amphibious Amphicat (circa 1972), let alone an AmphiCar!

Amphicar: The front wheels act as rudders!
"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 1,996
    edited January 2013 Vote Up0Vote Down
    In the second video where they pull out of the water....

amphicar.jpg

...is the ramp at Tega Cay Marina. I own Tega Cay Animal Hospital, so you could say it was filmed in my "back yard" on Lake Wylie.

I don't know these guys but when I was growing up I mowed grass in the summers for a retired couple that had one exactly like that in their garage. Always hoped to take it out. Never got the chance.

Thanks for sharing!
    Some times my mind seems to wander..... these days I just tag along.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 3,675
    Last time I saw an Amphicat, the Banana Splits were driving it! How's that for dating myself?
    270 x 96 - 7K
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 18,185
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 5,994
    Fun story, but really shows how one mechanical device can't do two things well.

Looking on eBay I came across another http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Amphicat-6x6-Amphibious-ATV-Boat-Custom-Paint-COOL-/121047224454?pt=ATVs&hash=item1c2efa1086#ht_500wt_1023 device that floats and drives.

Maybe we should throw a bid on it - would be a useful contraption for Nick and Kevin to carry their quadcopters to the runway about a quarter mile from the office. There's mud and a creek on the way.

Ken Gracey
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 7,512
    Whit wrote: »
    Last time I saw an Amphicat, the Banana Splits were driving it! How's that for dating myself?

I don't know if they were Amphicats or not but when I was in my early twenties we used to see a few amphibious cars every summer at Wasaga beach (Georgian Bay, Ontario). Even got a ride once in a while.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
    Nab it, Ken! That would be a great Parallax runabout at Expo!

- Pablo Picasso
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,713
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,312
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Fun story, but really shows how one mechanical device can't do two things well.

Maybe a better design? This one seems to work just fine, for over half a century
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW
    http://www.dellsducks.com/ducks.html

Might be overkill for your creek, you might need to find a river.

- Pablo Picasso
  • dmagnusdmagnus Posts: 271
    We have an Amphicar club in the Stillwater, MN area. I've seen as many as 4 of them on the St. Croix River on a fine summer afternoon.
    I actually rode in this RUC (River Utility Craft) once when I worked for the Army Corps of Engineers, doing summer hydrographic survey in the Carolina marshland circa 1980. Just found these pics at http://www.amphibiousvehicle.net/amphi/Ch_Ch.html

Chrysler - River Utility Craft RUC (1969)

Disappointing results in the Marsh Screw tests did not end ambitions for screw-type mobility systems.

In 1969 Chrysler produced the Riverine Utility Craft (RUC) for the Navy. The RUC travelled on two aluminium rotors, 39 inches in diameter.

Engine: twin Chrysler 440-cubic-inch auto-mobile
    Length: 7000 width: width: 4750 height: 3900 mm
    Weight 5900 kg
    Speed land: 50 km/h water: 28 km/h (WES test program in south Louisiana)

Speeds on firm soils proved disappointing, 23 km/h maximum and only 6.5 km/h in MUCK.

Screw vehicles failed big time compared with the more conventional wheeled and tracked vehicles.
    1024 x 527 - 65K
    1024 x 662 - 105K
    600 x 377 - 48K

- Pablo Picasso
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,073
    When I was in the Army, the survey platoon was issued the M-561 Gama Goat for field operations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gama_Goat.
    We were assured the vehicle was amphibious and periodically we were shown a film of a crew prepping and swimming the 'Goat. However, we were never required to do this and I never met anyone who actually did. If you asked any of the crews, the response was always something like "Are you f*****g kidding?!".

On dry land tho', it was a blast to drive. There were few places you couldn't take a 'Goat and on field problems we took every opportunity to go boonie-truckin' in the little beast. ("Follow the tank trail? But Sarge, it's much closer cross-country!")
    Founder of the "Society for Aimless Tinkering and World Conquest"
    New amphibious vehicle QuadSki at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HQZ_t1MSWk&feature=player_detailpage#t=66s

see also tightwalking robot just before that, and lots of other cool stuff in there.

- Pablo Picasso
    Just found this video of the RUC, as they called it in Charleston (re: 3 posts back).

- Pablo Picasso
  • There's a farm about five miles from me, that claims they deal in Argo amphibious. The signs been up for years. but I haven't ever seen any evidence of them.
  • I want to drive sideways through a swamp! That looks like fun.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,052
    edited July 29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    How's this for a set of wheels:

• The paint just about completely weathered away, can't figure out if they were a dealer or just like them.
    691 x 396 - 484K
  • One of my old coworkers has an Argo 8x8. I think it would float, but he mostly cruises around dry land. He thought it was a big nicer to ride around in than an ATV. Maybe he just wanted an excuse to buy another toy. The bad thing is that people sitting in the back can get whipped around a bit due to the slip steering.
    1109 x 825 - 242K
  • MikeDYur wrote: »

I would have never guessed the cameras were in the holes in the roof rack. The image on the screen looks decent for a sensor that small. I wonder where the IR illuminators were hidden. If those are light amplification cameras they'd be worth quite a bit more than the van.

edited July 31 Vote Up0Vote Down
    xanadu wrote: »
    MikeDYur wrote: »

I wonder where the IR illuminators were hidden. If those are light amplification cameras they'd be worth quite a bit more than the van.

My guess is they wouldn't want IR illumination to give them away, in case someone had the tech. In twenty years we get this trickle down, what do you do with, it other than scare your neighbor.

edited August 5 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Not to forget about the Chinese amphibious ATV.

They seem to take it a little too serious though.

Also over crowding is dangerous, and limits the ability to just have fun.
  • HughHugh Posts: 326
    edited August 12 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The British Army used to operate these. Absolutely fantastic machines, one of which I was lucky enough to drive. One even went across the English Channel (at which point the French thought they were being invaded and surrendered).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk&t

Amphibious cars are made just down the road from me.
    South Saxons - "we wunt be druv".