Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Line Follower with CCD Camera and Bluetooth Support — Parallax Forums

Line Follower with CCD Camera and Bluetooth Support

SteveWoodroughSteveWoodrough Posts: 190
edited 2012-12-22 13:51 in Robotics
Attached is the video link for a line follower project I've been working on for too long. I started in 2011 after reading a chapter by Hanno in the Official Guide on vision processing. Thank you Hanno for all the many hours you spent with me. Once we got the camera hardware to work I got the idea to make a line follower bot. The routine is very simple and monitors a few sets of pixels in the same manner as a QTI sensor.
My work and travel schedule have prevented me from completing the project and documenting with a video until now.

The code is attached and if you are interested in any additional information or details, please email me and I'll be happy to help in anyway possible.
Regards,
Steve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SFVx0i-tGE

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-12-21 10:26
    Wow! That's super cool!

I keep meaning to do something like this with my robot. Is the display on the computer just an extra cool factor? All the line following processing is done on the Propeller right?

Thanks for documenting this.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2012-12-21 10:41
    That's neat. I like your use of three breadboards as the control system. I'm not familiar with the view port software, does it have some sort of built in function to render data returned by the Prop?
  • SteveWoodroughSteveWoodrough Posts: 190
    edited 2012-12-21 10:43
    Thank You. Hanno did the heavy lifting, I just glued and screwed, and boy was there a lot of glue. It really was more work than I would have imagined at the start. Just soldering the TSOP 08100 was an experience all to itself.

Yes, all the processing is done locally on the Prop. The BT function in VP is nice since it allows the Prop to be programmed without the use of cables.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • SteveWoodroughSteveWoodrough Posts: 190
    edited 2012-12-21 10:46
    VP can process video from the prop or video from a webcam. In this case, however, the video is being processed on the Prop itself. Hanno will have to comment regarding the details of VP's capabilities.
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2012-12-22 13:51
    Awesome accomplishment Steve!
    The video nicely illustrates:
    - editing code in ViewPort then loading it via bluetooth to the Prop simply by pressing "Run"
    - video captured with ~$20 of parts into the Propeller for local processing and remote viewing over bluetooth
    - video signal being used for line following
    Hanno