Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
KILLER DEAL 2.95 6-18v gear motor most likely with encoder — Parallax Forums

KILLER DEAL 2.95 6-18v gear motor most likely with encoder

rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
edited 2012-11-04 01:46 in General Discussion
https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18335 I wasted so much time looking for a drivetrain for 4wd that was affordable and I just found this picked up 6, under blowouts they also have 6 and 4 inch wheel sets for a buck

Comments

• Duane C. JohnsonDuane C. Johnson Posts: 955
    edited 2012-10-26 20:12
    Hi rwgast_logicdesign;

I'm sorry, that motor looks just like the Faulhaber motor.
    Anyway here is some data that might still apply.

Here is what I gleaned about that motor last spring:

Faulhaber Right Angle Gear Motor

Faulhaber Gearmotor with right angle head and Encoder
    [url]http://www.robotroom.com/FaulhaberGearmotor.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16279[/url]
    1524E006S123
    15/5S141:1K832
    HES164A

Motor Part Number
    1524E006S123 not 1524E0065123 an stated in Electronic Goldmine
    15/24 = Body diameter/length mm
    E = short shaft
    006 = 6V or 3V to 9V
    S = Silver alloy commutators
    123 = special order
    11 ohm winding resistance

Gearhead Part Number
    15/5S141:1K832   not KB32
    15 = inner diameter mm
    /5 = series
    S = Steel gears
    141:1 = gear ratio actually 140.759183:1
    K832 = special order
    The gearhead has two M2 (2 mm) screw holes.
    The gearhead also has two 2-56 UNC screw holes
    surrounded by a thin circle to differentiate them.
    (It is thoughtful of the manufacturer to include
    both metric and imperial threaded holes on the gearhead.)
    The screw holes are 3 mm (0.118 inches) deep. 
    shaft = 3mmDia x 4mm length.

Right Angle Drive Box

Encoder
    HES164A
    HE = Hall Effect
    S = series
    16 = 16mmDia
    4A = special order

Similar to the HEM cncoder which is
    4.5V to 15V
    A & B open collector output with 10K pullup

Connector
    +-+-+-+
    |6|4|2|  -M  B +5V
    +-+-+-+
    |5|3|1|  GND A +M
    +-+-+^+

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2012-10-26 20:58
    It will be a pretty small robot. Those motors are usually used on micromouse type robots.
  • rwgast_logicdesignrwgast_logicdesign Posts: 1,464
    edited 2012-10-27 01:12
    :/ I just orderd 6 of these... the specs say at no load it draws .2 amps wich are what my current motors do but at a much higher rpm since there not geared. I figured at 18vs these had to be pretty zippy and torqy i was hoping to get at least 1 to 2 amps under load with at close to 100rpm with good torque. The physical size is two and a quatrer inches long and .63 diameter i was thinking the length would make up for the diameter... I got 6 along with 8 6 inch wheels hoping to do a 6wd rover.

you guys dont think this is gonna work out? i mean at surplus price the beuhler u mentioned has a 20 dollar price..

@duane why are you sorry? you guys dont think this will live up to my expections?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-27 01:37
    the specs say at no load it draws .2 amps wich are what my current motors do but at a much higher rpm since there not geared.

I think your decimal place is off by one. The motors draw 0.02 amps (20mA).

I wish Electronic Goldmine gave some torque information other than "Features high torque". "Features high torque" compared to cell phone vibrator motor? A stall current would also be nice.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2012-10-27 02:22
    I think these are a great place to start with encoders and the whole package is there with hall-effect encoders rather than buying motors, gears, and encoders in pieces.

You can at least learn how to program with these. And repair or replacing the ribbon cable can't be any harder than working with surface mount packages.
  • Duane C. JohnsonDuane C. Johnson Posts: 955
    edited 2012-10-27 06:36
    Hi rwgast;
    @duane why are you sorry? you guys dont think this will live up to my expectations?
    No, I love this motor, at least the Faulhaber one. The cheaper Micromo looks identical with different motor specs.
    I bet the encoder works the same though. And the Micromo is a re-badged Faulhaber.
    I was sorry because I jumped the gun and assumed it was the Faulhaber just by looking at the picture.

Duane J
    edited 2012-10-27 07:54
    Only thing not mentioned is the actual resolution of the encoder. I like Fauhaber as well, don't know anything about Micromo. But with steel gears, mounts threaded for imperial or metric screws, and so on - it make it a huge bargain. But they are tiny.
    edited 2012-10-27 11:05
    ahhh ok well this is pretty close to a faulhaber if not the same motor here is fauhaber

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16279

here is micromo

https://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G18335

the description reads exactlty the same. as a matter of fact when i type faulhaber into the search micromos motor comes up, and the review linked to above also says the micromo and faulhaber motors are the same.

so looking at these specs at the review the motor seems pretty week :/ .02a no load abd .55a stall... and 64rpm at 6vs. How does pumping more volts through a motor effect rpm? If i run it at 18v will I get 3x the rpm i.e 194 rpm? Also it gives all the specs at 6v but says it can do 18v do i need to be limiting its current at 18v?

@duane since you acually own these motors what do think about using them on a 5lb size rover?

if nothing else 2.95 for for 141:1 gear box is a good deal maybe i can adapt the gears to my two current motors to build a 4wd set uo.
    edited 2012-10-27 11:10
    I am not sure that you will get a big gain in RPM by tripling the voltage, but you will triple the power output at the shaft. Some increase will happen, but it is not a simple linear relationship.

Faulhaber provides detailed info on rpm performance at various voltages. You have to visit them and find out what their specs are.

Mircomo is at 6V 20ma and 80rpm. Higher voltage would allow a smaller gear to double the rpm. The Faulhaber says the same thing, so their reference may be good for both.
    edited 2012-10-27 14:54
    edited 2012-10-27 15:05
    @duane since you acually own these motors what do think about using them on a 5lb size rover?

No, I don't think you'll get it to work on a robot that big. These motors are as big as a slightly larger than average male index finger (for reference). One thing to be careful about is mounting the motor. The gear on the output shaft has a very small and unusual size setscrew, so it's difficult to remove. The motors that I have seen usually have the wheels attached directly to the robot.
    edited 2012-10-27 15:06

You should rename this thread, not create a new one.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2012-10-27 15:29
    Here is a detailed examination of these motors.
    http://www.robotroom.com/FaulhaberGearmotor.html

Also look through the similar threads links at the bottom of this page.
    edited 2012-11-01 16:15
    To all of you who said they were to small I say NAY!!! Im sad becuase I only got two and ordered 4 screwdrivers for motors. These motors are strong at 6, I can not stop the gear with my fingers! They are definately strong enough to change the final ger for much faster speed and still haul a 5lb load at 6v. The 1.93 screw drivers are even stronger at 6v with so much torque I can barely stop them with channel locks! They are a bit loud but overall alot more quiet than I though definitely not any louder than a cheap RC car
    edited 2012-11-01 18:30
    rwgast,

Do you have a way of measuring the current of the small (but not too small) motors? I'm curious how much they draw with both no load and as you try to stop them.

Thanks,
    edited 2012-11-01 20:33
    @12vd the thing runs at about 35mA 1 amp stall current. the robot room link above has a pretty accurate graph across the voltage range. I have to start the motor with channel lock on the gear at 12V i cant really make it stall other wise. It has some good gearing.
    edited 2012-11-03 23:59
    I thought I had posted a reply here yesterday. Fortunately the forum software saved my what I had typed.
    @12vd the thing runs at about 35mA 1 amp stall current. the robot room link above has a pretty accurate graph across the voltage range. I have to start the motor with channel lock on the gear at 12V i cant really make it stall other wise. It has some good gearing.

Thanks for the info. I had missed the Robot Room link. You're right, it does have a lot of good information.

I ordered some of these motors. They seem like they'd work well at the end of an leg of some sort. I purchased enough to make a Mars rover type bot with a rocker-bogie suspension.

I wonder how these motors/gear box/encoders compare with the motors/gears/encoders of a Rover 5 chassis? I suppose I'll find out shortly.
    edited 2012-11-04 01:46
    im acually doing some temp work for a congressional campagin right now, so i had NWCCTV order me 4 to 6 more to make sure i get a few more before they sell out. I cant tell you how they compare to a rover 5 but id be intrested to know! ive been considering a rover 5! i didnt know the r5 even had encoders or i prolly would have orderde it already. i made another post faulhaber 141:1 in the title its a few pages back in genral forum. Duane i belive was explaining how the encoders take one reading per shaft turn. So they are pretty low res.

another tip is i got cordless 6v 130rpm screw drivers for the gearing and motors on a rover. they are good at 12v fairly quiet for a power tool and genrally hi hi torque motor set up for 2 dollars. the only issue is the planetary ring is molded as part of the chuck/cap