Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Play simple sound files from an SD chip using the Prop BOE — Parallax Forums

Play simple sound files from an SD chip using the Prop BOE

donnpangydonnpangy Posts: 49
edited 2012-10-21 00:36 in Propeller 1
I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to play sound files from an SD chip. I was playing with the Prop BOE and was able to create a file and write values to it.
Is there a way to have multiple audio files (on the SD chip) that I could bring up quickly and play using the Prop BOE. How quickly would I be able load and play different sounds.
Do I need to put the files in a large ram and play it from that memory?
Can I play it directly from the SD chip? It the driver fast enough?
thanks for any help,
Don

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-10-19 23:49
    This is very doable with the PropBOE. The drivers are fast enough to play back audio files directly from the SD card (the file data has to pass through the Prop's memory in order to "play" the file but this doesn't require much of the Prop's RAM (I don't know if the driver uses only cog RAM or if some of the hub RAM is used)) . You do not need additional RAM.

Here's a link to Kye's wav file player. The sounds will need to be saved as wav files. I think there is free software (audacity (or something like that)) available to convert one audio file to another. You can have many wav files on the SD card.

I haven't used Kye's wav player myself, but I'm under the impression it can access the files to play them back very quickly.

The PropBOE can also record sounds to a SD card. Here's Kye's wav recorder.

This thread discusses the possibility of using a Prop as a digital audio recorder used with a FM receiver module.
  • pik33pik33 Posts: 2,350
    edited 2012-10-21 00:36
    Here is my player

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?140767-A-new-topic-for-vga-(not-only)-sid-player

It works on a demo board so it should be not a problem to recompile it for BOE (maybe pin should be redefined)

Needs BST to compile with unused code removing option switched on (or it will not fit in 32k)

It plays sid dump files with SIDcog and wave files with my wave player driver using oversampling and noise shaping.
    It can use subdirectories and LFNs on FAT32 formatted SDs using modified Kye's SD driver.