Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Spark Fun (Fun with Spark Gap Igniter) — Parallax Forums

Spark Fun (Fun with Spark Gap Igniter)

Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
edited 2015-10-04 15:09 in General Discussion
I purchased one of these a while back from SparkFun.

I thought I'd share some video of my playing around with the sparks it generates.

I keep calling it a "Spark Gap Generator" but it's really called a "Spark Gap Igniter".

I'm hoping a bug, which should be a better conductor than air, would trigger a spark between properly spaced wires and kill the bug. On our evening walds, my wife and I are often pestered by small flying bugs that seem to like to group together and fly in a small cloud over our heads. I'm hoping to make a "Wand of Death" to kill the bugs.

I'm not sure if I'd use such a wand even if it works since I'm not real eager to walk in a cloud of exploded bug parts.

Comments

• GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-07-08 16:53
    Looks cool! Just don't forget sparks that "healthy" produce a good amount of ozone and shortwave ultraviolet. Glasses for MIG/TIG welding wouldn't hurt.

Seems this thing would make it pretty easy to build a Jacob's Ladder. Those are always neat come around Halloween time.

-- Gordon
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2012-07-08 16:57
    Jim Fouch had a setup with 3 of these at UPEC controlled with some mosfets.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2012-07-08 17:00
    Looks cool! Just don't forget sparks that "healthy" produce a good amount of ozone and shortwave ultraviolet. Glasses for MIG/TIG welding wouldn't hurt.

Seems this thing would make it pretty easy to build a Jacob's Ladder. Those are always neat come around Halloween time.

-- Gordon

Thanks for the heads up about the UV. I'll avoid staring at the sparks from now on.

I'm not surprised about the ozone. I thought I could smell it.

I tried a Jacob's Ladder without success. The spark does not travel up a pair of wires. The spark stays wherever the wire is closest together.
  • RagtopRagtop Posts: 406
    edited 2012-07-08 17:05
    I jumped out of my chair. geez. That would be really cool for Halloween.

Coming in contact with something like that......would that be just a burn or worse?
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-07-08 17:45
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I tried a Jacob's Ladder without success. The spark does not travel up a pair of wires. The spark stays wherever the wire is closest together.

Might try a thicker wire, like coat hanger. Use some steel wool to remove any varnish. Bend it so that there's a gradual V. The idea is that the spark produces a vacuum, and it's the vacuum that causes the slow ascent. It takes some effort to get just the right angle of the pieces. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

-- Gordon
    edited 2012-07-08 17:48
    Ragtop wrote: »
    Coming in contact with something like that......would that be just a burn or worse?

You'll need to find someone else to tell you. :smile:

I did have one unsparking wire touch my arm which caused a mild shock.

I'd imagine touching an arc would be painful.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2012-07-08 18:10
    @Duane,

The "wand of death" idea will work but you want a circuit more like a cow fence charger for that. A small electrolytic capacitor charged to 300-400 volts zaps them good. The hard part is getting 2 runs of wire close enough to zap them without having them short together. I threaded some 1/4" nylon rods to space the parallel wires and used them as the sides of a rectangular paddle.....more like a paddle of death in my case.
    edited 2012-07-08 18:59
    Might try a thicker wire, like coat hanger. Use some steel wool to remove any varnish. Bend it so that there's a gradual V. The idea is that the spark produces a vacuum, and it's the vacuum that causes the slow ascent. It takes some effort to get just the right angle of the pieces. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

-- Gordon

I think your right about the possiblity of these making a Jacob's Ladder.

I tried it again with two carbon fiber rods. I don't know if it's possible to get the distances correct using straight rods. I tended to either get a spark at the very bottom that wouldn't move upwards or to get a spark at the very top. I think the sharp cornered edge of the carbon fiber at the very top of the "ladder" caused the spark to jump at the top because of the shape rather than having the distance be the determining factor of where a spark started.

I think the bends at the top of a Jacob's Ladder is important to causing the spark to break.

I haven't tried a thicker wire yet. I don't think making a working Jacob's Ladder is important enough to me to get me to do all the work it would require.

I also have doubts that these spark gab igniters are very robust. I've read comments suggesting gaps of greater than 1/2" can severely shorten the life of these devices.
    edited 2012-07-08 19:02
    kwinn wrote: »
    @Duane,

The "wand of death" idea will work but you want a circuit more like a cow fence charger for that. A small electrolytic capacitor charged to 300-400 volts zaps them good. The hard part is getting 2 runs of wire close enough to zap them without having them short together. I threaded some 1/4" nylon rods to space the parallel wires and used them as the sides of a rectangular paddle.....more like a paddle of death in my case.

Thanks Kwinn.

I'm can see how my intial design has a serious flaw. I don't think these spark gap igniters are intended for prolonged "almost sparking" use.

I'll have to look through my caps to see if I have any that can take the voltages in the range you suggest.
  • piguy101piguy101 Posts: 248
    edited 2012-07-08 19:04
    Don't forget to put a nice warm white lamp beside the sparker to attract the bugs!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2012-07-08 19:26
    Impressive! You'll need a lot more power for a decent sized Jacob's ladder. I built one using a small neon transformer, which still weighs 20 lbs, much like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Sign-Transformer-6KV-30mA-No-GFCI-for-Tesla-Coil-and-Jacobs-Ladders-/251100876502?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item3a76c74ed6
    edited 2012-07-08 20:40
    erco wrote: »
    Impressive! You'll need a lot more power for a decent sized Jacob's ladder. I built one using a small neon transformer, which still weighs 20 lbs, much like this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Sign-Transformer-6KV-30mA-No-GFCI-for-Tesla-Coil-and-Jacobs-Ladders-/251100876502?pt=BI_Circuit_Breakers_Transformers&hash=item3a76c74ed6

I don't think I want a Jacob's Ladder bad enough to mess with one of those transformers.

After reading more of the comments on the spark gap igniter product page, I think I've been pushing my luck by having the wires spaced as far apart as I had them in the video. Apparently these devices aren't meant to produce sparks greater than 1/2" in length. It would be nice if there were a datasheet for these things but no such luck.

1/2" sparks are nearly as impressive as the ones I was making. I'm pretty sure some of those arcs were longer than an inch.

Combining the 1/2" limitation with the vision hazard these things create, I think I'll stick with the device's intended purpose and use it to ignite flamable material. How boring.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2012-07-08 20:49
    My stepdad had one of the electronics bug zapper "fly swatters" at a family gathering at his house and it was sought after by every guest. Not only was it very effective against pesky flyers, it was a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Mosquito-Zapper-Swatter-Control/dp/B0053TROQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341805530&sr=8-1&keywords=bug+zapper+swatter
    edited 2012-07-08 21:10
    My stepdad had one of the electronics bug zapper "fly swatters" at a family gathering at his house and it was sought after by every guest. Not only was it very effective against pesky flyers, it was a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Mosquito-Zapper-Swatter-Control/dp/B0053TROQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341805530&sr=8-1&keywords=bug+zapper+swatter

I was afraid someone would come along with a good idea like this and spoil all the fun.

Why would I want to buy two bug zappers for $22 when for a just a few times that amount, I could spend several days burning up electronic components, repeatedly shocking myself, permanently damaging my vision and, if I'm lucky, end up with a single device that only works half as well as the device available at Amazon?
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-07-08 21:28
    I don't think I want a Jacob's Ladder bad enough to mess with one of those transformers.

for a device that sized there is NO vision issue .

a Weldor is 100s of amps. not mA or less of HV .. orders of magnitude less of a issue
    assume 12V in at 500 mA and meh 6 kV the current is nothing to worry about for UV .

The spark gap in the 3rd photo that is used in the bottom of the base to switch the HV is seaing upwards of a KiloAmp of peak current It can be blinding as you can see in the photo.

493249714_5a184ee333_b.jpg
    How does 10 kVA of tranny look.. makes a Neon sign tranny look like a 9V.

493298164_f620c66b37_b.jpg

this is at 12kVA or so in ..

as for a bug zapper .

493318073_357b10fa28_b.jpg

* laughs*.

all HV is dangerious . but at the powers I play with it's instant death .
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2012-07-09 01:48
    Wouldn't there be interference with radio/tv waves also, you may get a visit from the authorities?
    edited 2012-07-09 09:23

@Andrew, Thanks for the link. I'll probably give these "swatters" a try.
    for a device that sized there is NO vision issue .

a Weldor is 100s of amps. not mA or less of HV .. orders of magnitude less of a issue
    assume 12V in at 500 mA and meh 6 kV the current is nothing to worry about for UV .

@Peter, Very cool stuff. I disagree about the "NO vision issue". The pain in my eyes I felt a few hours after making the video told me Gordon was correct about the eye danger.

The spark gap igniter was powered by 4V (a single LiPo cell) and I beleive it drew 3A (based on earlier tests with a bench top power supply).

@prof_braino, Those are cheaper. I wonder how well they work compared to the device Andrew linked to.

If any of you have experience with bug zappers, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

The bugs I'd like to get rid of are small. They're bigger than a fruit fly but smaller than normal flies; they're close to the size of a mosquito but they're not mosquitoes.

The bugs tend to gather just above us as we walk. My present theory is they're attracted to the moisture from our breath but I'm not sure why they follow us around. They generally don't land on us. I don't think they bite at all. They're just really annoying.
    edited 2012-07-09 09:38
    Those $3-5 Harbor Fright swatters are worth every penny. Just be aware that they are still fully charged (and WILL shock you) after you switch them off. Best to discharge them by bridging the grid carefully with something metallic if there's any chance someone will touch it.
    edited 2012-07-09 09:41
    Spark funny, but no touchy:

Sweet Home Alabama never disappoints: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbLshnfu0wY
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2012-07-09 09:54

493249714_5a184ee333_b.jpg

all HV is dangerious . but at the powers I play with it's instant death .

Peter! OMG! I heard there was a power outage in your neighborhood!
  • lanternfishlanternfish Posts: 366
    edited 2012-07-09 15:50
    Cool. I needed something like this for a stage production. Now filed under "Really Useful Spark Generator To Keep Director(s) Happy". Cheers
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2012-07-09 16:55
    skylight wrote: »
    Wouldn't there be interference with radio/tv waves also, you may get a visit from the authorities?

its not a issue . I own a spectrum analyzer and I have found out that Iam with in FCC limits .
    also a TC is a horrid radiator at 100 KHz or so where it runs . the thing is one giant loading coil and a knarly Top cap hat ..

A Pen sized metal rod makes a better Broadcasting Antenna then this does at these Freqs
    I have issues with it being loud !!!! 100+ dB !

As for the Police / fire .. why? its not any more dangerous then a BBQ ! .

I am not a Pro but I was mentored ( in the TC realm you cant teach this stuff ) by the worlds leader in HV FX

kVA FX . they are the ones whom did the termantor efx and tons of other millon dollar stunts .

you cant get a license for this stuff .. it does not exist . its not Pyro .. so that is out the window . its just HV .

the only issuse is that it is a fire danger again no more then a BBQ! but some dim whitted home owners insurance Co might not insure you if they have seen this thing fired up .

Kevin Cook wrote: »
    Peter! OMG! I heard there was a power outage in your neighborhood!

sorry not me .. they used Pad Mounts here not Pole Pigs .

Peter.
  • Don MDon M Posts: 1,647
    edited 2012-07-09 18:20
    The bugs tend to gather just above us as we walk. My present theory is they're attracted to the moisture from our breath but I'm not sure why they follow us around. They generally don't land on us. I don't think they bite at all. They're just really annoying.

They're attracted to the CO2 we emit from our breath.
    edited 2012-07-30 19:02
    I've received PM with questions about power the spark gap igniter from a battery.

I'm going to answer the questions here so they can help more than just the one person who asked.

These igniter draw about 3 Amps of current so they need battery that can handle that much current.

Most of the LiPo batteries HobbyKing sells are made to power high current RC equipment so they are a good match to use with the igniter.

It's important that the igniter is powered with only a single LiPo cell. Two cells in series would burn out the unit. These igniters smell really bad when they get too much voltage (don't ask).

HobbyKing sells single cells but they don't come with a connector. Here's a cell that should power an igniter without trouble.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18558__Turnigy_2200mAh_1S_20C_Lipoly_Single_Cell_.html

LiPo cells need a special charger. Parallax sells a charger that can charge just about anything.

I've used this cheap charger from HobbyKing. It works okay but doesn't provide any information about about the charge exept to indicate when it's done. This cheap charger only works with 2-cell and 3-cell packs.

I'm not sure what an inexpensive option is for charging a single cell. It might be easier to buy a 2-cell pack and only power the spark gap igniter from a single cell using the pack's charging jack (as I did in the video in post #1).

I have a couple of these 800mAh 2-cell packs to use with my quadcopter. One of the 800mAh cells should be able to power the spark gap igniter.

You can figure out how much current a battery pack can supply by multiplying it capacity and its "C" rating.

The 800mAh pack is rated 20C so it should be able to supply 16 Amps. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using these batteries at 16 Amps for very long. The 3 Amps required by the spark gap igniter shouldn't be a problem for it.

I'll test the spark gap igniter with one of my 800mAh cells to make sure it works okay.

These battery testers erco told me about are great for getting a rough idea of the voltage levels of a battery pack. I'd suggest adding a couple to a HobbyKing order.

You don't want to discharge a LiPo cell lower than a certain amount. I think 3.3V is concidered safe but I usually don't let my packs fall below 3.6V or so.

Too high of a charge is also not good for a LiPo cell. I don't recall the exact level that's concidered too high. I'm pretty sure voltages above 4.2V per cell is too high.

While SparkFun sells a variety of LiPo batteries, the one's I looked at can't supply enough current for the spark gap igniters.
  • mfkubakmfkubak Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-30 21:28
    This was so incredibly helpful! Thank you!!

Matt
    edited 2012-07-31 06:14
    Matt,

You are very welcome.

I tried the spark gap igniter with a single cell from 800mAh pack and it worked fine.

SparkFun sells a charger for single cell LiPos but it costs more than the two/three cell charger from HobbyKing.

While I think the prices from HobbyKing are great, they do take about three weeks to deliver the items unless you can find the item(s) in one of their local warehouses. Shipping is relatively expensive from HobbyKing so I try to buy a bunch of stuff from them at once. One of the things I often add to an order from HobbyKing is wire. I really like their silicon insulated wire. I also like their version of Dean's connectors.