Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Chin-Chill-A HVAC cooling for exotic pets — Parallax Forums

Chin-Chill-A HVAC cooling for exotic pets

tobdectobdec Posts: 267
edited 2012-05-14 18:32 in Robotics
I have a Chinchilla...for those of you that dont know they are a mountain/dessert dwelling exotic pet that is super fury and cartoonishly adorable! As with most exotic pets certain environmental variable must be at play to keep them alive and well. For chinchillas the biggest is temperature....since they have super thick fur and no sweat glads they must stay below an absolute high of 75 degrees Farenheight. Since A/C is very expensive to run alllll damn day...I came up with this. The Chin-Chill-A! Its basicly a cooler with a few holes cut in it and a few fans, heatsinks and a peltier thermo-electric ceramic plate. For those that know what these are they are awesome for small projects such as this..so I bought a small box of them from flea-bay. The whole project is pretty staight forward..for now its either on or off...but I will be adding a DS1620 temp sensor as soon as it comes in. Since peltier plates can either go hot or cold with a simple polarity switch I will simple build a small network of relays hooked up to the DS1620 high an lows points and set it and forget it for all year round temperature control. Tell me what you guys think! The construction was pretty simple epoxy and a razor blade. The stuff in the tubes is something everyone on the forum should hear about...its a thermal conducting 2 part exposy resin from Arctic Silver...great stuff....holds things like epoxy....conducts thermal energy like thermal-grease!
coolers.jpg
final.jpg
holes1.jpg
plate.jpg
logo.jpg
holes2.jpg
paste.jpg

Comments