Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropB3 is online - Build a Hammond organ clone, using the Propeller Chip — Parallax Forums

PropB3 is online - Build a Hammond organ clone, using the Propeller Chip

PropB3PropB3 Posts: 10
edited 2012-06-23 15:06 in Propeller 1
Hello,

if you are interested at Hammond Organs und Parallax Propeller you should have to look here:

http://bolltone.de/Projekte/PropB3/PropB3_US.html

Features:
Midi controlled, 16 Voices, 9 Drawbars, Chorus/Vib., Overdrive, Leslie, Reverb.

Everyting done in one Propeller - but unfortunately using 8 cogs - .

Have fun

H.Bollig

Comments

• mrainbow1mrainbow1 Posts: 9
    edited 2012-05-13 08:03
    Hi,

Great work ! I will try this out as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing your work.

Mike
  • HShankoHShanko Posts: 402
    edited 2012-05-13 12:06
    What sort of keyboard is used?

I Googled for 'MIDI keyboard' and found several; one a Korg MicroKey USB MIDI Keyboard. USB? Would that work with your PropB3? Or is something else used?

[FONT=Arial, Calibri, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-05-13 12:28
    HShanko wrote: »
    What sort of keyboard is used?

I Googled for 'MIDI keyboard' and found several; one a Korg MicroKey USB MIDI Keyboard. USB? Would that work with your PropB3? Or is something else used?

Standard MIDI keyboards have a 5-Pin DIN plug. This has been the standard since the 80's. Only recent keyboards have a USB interface.

5-Pin Din keyboards are a dime a dozen in pawn shops and on ebay. Anything from the 80's and 90's will work.

You can also check Walmart, Target, and Radio Shack for new keyboards that are probably MIDI compatible. Just look for the 5-Pin DIN plug on the back.

Jim
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-05-13 12:43
    Source code?

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-05-13 13:26
    STUNNING! Well done, my good fellow. You will make many of those looking to refurbish old Hammond cabinets very happy.

I hope you will consider making a commercial board of this and offering it for sale. It's a small market, but a devoted one.

On your use disclaimer, consider using Creative Commons SA NC license. It's a clear-cut license that I think covers your intent, and provides all the legal mumbo-jumbo.

-- Gordon
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-05-13 20:24
    What can I say... Simply Brilliant!
  • onewheeltomonewheeltom Posts: 40
    edited 2012-05-29 10:29
    Would also like to see a commercially available board (though the PC board template you provided may get me to etch my own board).

I have an Edirol PR-30 MIDI keyboard with built in sllders that can be used as drawbars to make a portable Hammond clone that weighs just a few pounds. Awesome!

--tom
    edited 2012-06-16 18:03
    Is there a big difference between the TDA1543 and the TDA1543A?

--tom
  • PropB3PropB3 Posts: 10
    edited 2012-06-19 11:28
    TDA1543 and TDA1543A have different I2S interface. The A-type use the "japanese input format". the A-type will not work on the PropB3.
    edited 2012-06-20 06:53
    I'm gathering the parts to build the Wolfson DAC version. I was going over the schematic and had some questions :

- on OP4, pins 8 and 9 are connected. On OP1, pins 14 and 12 are NOT connected. Is this correct?
    - suppliers DigiKey and Mouser are showing part TS914 as being unavailable in a through hole DIP version. What is an appropriate substitute?
    - suppliers DigiKey and Mouser are showing transistors BC238B as "obsolete". What is an appropriate substitute?
    - Please explain the "SLOW/FAST" and "STOP" switches. It looks like when the switch is turned on, the corresponding diode is shorted. This seems rather elaborate to indicate the position of a switch.
    - There is no R13, R14, C12 or C13 on the schematic. Is this correct?

I am looking forward to building this and comparing the sound to my Hammond M2. Thanks for sharing your design.

--tom
  • PropB3PropB3 Posts: 10
    edited 2012-06-21 11:54
    Hello,

1) it is better to connect PIN 13/14 (OP1) - but it is not critical, it runs just as well with opened PINS
    2) TS914: so short lived is the branch, just ordered a coupel of them and a half year latter the are "obsoled". you can try any other OPAMP with following charateristics: Rail to Rail, 3.3Volt Supply support. e.g. MCP6024 or LMC6484 or TS912 (if you dont want to use the PCB)
    3) BC238 is an odenary NPN transitor like a BC547
    4) K1/K2 are not switches, these are relays to drive an external leslie cabinet (if you want)
    5) R13, R14, C12, C13: not used. you need only the compnets you find in the schematic/layout.

hope that helps

H.Bollig
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2012-06-21 12:08
    Just ordered a couple of the Op Amps from Mouser. Still some in stock:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/TS914IDT/?qs=7YL43xgTf79nxvoGrVuLpuSMHscPLSFJ

J
    im

EDIT:

Sorry. You want thru hole.

I bought this from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320900381229?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_1077wt_1163'

Solders easily with a standard iron.
    edited 2012-06-21 13:32
    I've soldered SMT components before. is the pinout of the SMT the same as the through hole part? in any case, I don't think the eBay adapter will help if I use the PCB....it is too wide.

Perhaps I'll just use perf board. What I would like to do is have some PCB's made.

--tom
    hover1 wrote: »
    Just ordered a couple of the Op Amps from Mouser. Still some in stock:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/STMicroelectronics/TS914IDT/?qs=7YL43xgTf79nxvoGrVuLpuSMHscPLSFJ

J
    im

EDIT:

Sorry. You want thru hole.

I bought this from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320900381229?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648#ht_1077wt_1163'

Solders easily with a standard iron.
    edited 2012-06-21 13:44
    I've soldered SMT components before. is the pinout of the SMT the same as the through hole part? in any case, I don't think the eBay adapter will help if I use the PCB....it is too wide.

Perhaps I'll just use perf board. What I would like to do is have some PCB's made.

--tom

Yes the adapter is .600" wide.

The pinout seems to be the same as the DIP component.

I just started to do an ExpressPCB design with the SMD device in mind. Kind of of a back burner project right now.

Let you know if I go with it.

Jim
    edited 2012-06-21 14:04
    Not your problem, but this is on my front burner and perfboard construction skills are not good. I may be interested in helping fund board production with parts that are readily available. Will order parts and adapter for now.
    --tom
    Yes the adapter is .600" wide.

The pinout seems to be the same as the DIP component.

I just started to do an ExpressPCB design with the SMD device in mind. Kind of of a back burner project right now.

Let you know if I go with it.

Jim
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-06-21 14:37
    Source code?

Thanks,
    -Phil
    Did this ever get answered? Will source code be available for this project?
    edited 2012-06-21 15:18
    David Betz wrote: »
    Did this ever get answered? Will source code be available for this project?

Didn't get answered. Even after Phil asked.

You don't turn down Phil if you know whats good for you. :)

Jim
  • jrjr.jrjr. Posts: 45
    edited 2012-06-22 20:15
    Didn't get answered. Even after Phil asked.

You don't turn down Phil if you know whats good for you. :)

Jim

Glad to see this pop up again.

Publishing the source is the easy way to get it running in 4 cogs in 4 days.

jack
    edited 2012-06-23 11:41
    I PM'd PropB3 about the source code some time ago. He mentioned something about selling it. I asked price, but got no answer to that. He sent me his MidiIn_B3.spin "..to get started..". Which I'm slowly work on implementing in my own program.

I have an old Korg M1; battery long ago discharged and now I have to go through the 'pain' of opening up the unit to replace the battery. Poor design, imho. No simple access panel to pop open and replace battery. So when I get that done I can i/f with it hopefully; don't know if it still will work; hasn't been touched for over a decade.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the source, although I don't know how easy it would be to adapt. Sure sounded good in PropB3's demo.
    edited 2012-06-23 13:21
    I PM'd PropB3 about the source code some time ago. He mentioned something about selling it. I asked price, but got no answer to that. He sent me his MidiIn_B3.spin "..to get started..". Which I'm slowly work on implementing in my own program.

I have an old Korg M1; battery long ago discharged and now I have to go through the 'pain' of opening up the unit to replace the battery. Poor design, imho. No simple access panel to pop open and replace battery. So when I get that done I can i/f with it hopefully; don't know if it still will work; hasn't been touched for over a decade.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the source, although I don't know how easy it would be to adapt. Sure sounded good in PropB3's demo.

Harley,

You may be pleasantly surprised when you power up your old MIDI keyboard.The MIDI out signals should not be compromised by a bad battery. The battery is used to hold configuration data for favorite outputs..

Battery replacement is much like on old mother boards. Not rocket science, but accessing them is like taking apart a dash panel to reach a fuse. :)

Jim
    edited 2012-06-23 13:24

Has MidiIn_B3.spin been published anywhere?

Jim
    edited 2012-06-23 15:06
    @ Publison, I don't know anything about whether it had been published. Seem to recall the OBEX had something on 'Midi In' but didn't look into it.

For some reason, when the battery dies, the M1 loses all the Factory installed setups, and won't 'play' without it. Must do a factory download for that. At least that is what I read.

I'm not even a 'noobie' on Midi. Well, maybe first step into it. Been distracted for years from the M1. First I was consulting, then later remarried, moved to another state, and last half decade the Propellor has had my attention. But is fun distraction with the Prop.
  • 5 years later:
    This topic seems to have died - I wonder why? Did anybody get their PropB3 going? I can't get mine to go properly - only by changing the OpAmp inputs do I get the sound, but very badly distorted. Can't figure out what's wrong.
    Gordon
  • Gordon wrote: »
    5 years later:
    This topic seems to have died - I wonder why? Did anybody get their PropB3 going? I can't get mine to go properly - only by changing the OpAmp inputs do I get the sound, but very badly distorted. Can't figure out what's wrong.
    Gordon

I just gave this a shot, and same deal, very distorted output.
  • Gordon wrote: »
    5 years later:
    This topic seems to have died - I wonder why? Did anybody get their PropB3 going?

Hi,
    i build mine in 2012 just after the project was published and it works fine, the sound is amazing !
  • The original link has gotten off track. Anyone have an update?
    I remember looking at this a year or so ago, but it may have been in another thread.
  • Here is the Wayback Machine archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20161220043500/http://bolltone.de/Projekte/PropB3/PropB3_US.html

Please donate to them. They provide a great service.