W9GFO's Mecanum Robot at Expo

ercoerco Posts: 19,546
edited 2012-04-16 - 18:07:28 in Robotics
Terrific robot nimbly navigates the wowed crowd! Vex wheels and pivoting axle are clearly a winning combination.
"When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 22,463
    edited 2012-04-15 - 21:18:23
    That is sooo cool! I've seen those wheels used on forklifts, which seems like the perfect app. Hopefully, we'll see more robotic applications of them going forward.

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,546
    edited 2012-04-15 - 21:43:28
    Rich described his "Kepler" project to me at Expo, hopefully he'll share that here too. Neat idea.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,900
    edited 2012-04-15 - 22:05:17
    erco wrote: »
    Rich described his "Kepler" project to me at Expo, hopefully he'll share that here too. Neat idea.

Shhhh, that's a secret for now.

The clue is right there in the name.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 22,463
    edited 2012-04-15 - 22:13:17
    Rich described his "Kepler" project to me at Expo, ...

Shhhh, that's a secret for now. The clue is right there in the name.
    Keeping a quadcopter platform stable enough to host a large telescope would certainly get my attention! :)

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 9,813
    edited 2012-04-16 - 08:47:42
    It was very cool how it could go sideways. Still not sure how it does that...
    Prop Info and Apps: http://www.rayslogic.com/
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2012-04-16 - 10:11:19
    Very cool indeed. In case folks are interested in these kinds of wheels, here they are on the Vex site:

http://www.vexrobotics.com/276-1447.html

Price is for a package of four, which is a pretty good deal, considering. $15 each for nice 4" wheels is pretty good.

Rich, how does your bot do on an incline?

-- Gordon
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,546
    edited 2012-04-16 - 17:50:52
    Too bad Duane couldn't make it to Expo, he built a great robot using the same Vex wheels. The only thing better than a mecanum robot is TWO mecanum robots. It would have been cool to see the two mecanum bots dancing & orbiting around each other.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130797-Mecanum-Wheeled-Robot-with-Machine-Vision&p=1078740&viewfull=1#post1078740

- Pablo Picasso
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 3,900
    edited 2012-04-16 - 18:07:28
    Rich, how does your bot do on an incline?

It did not have any problems going up or down the curb cuts. That's the limit of my experience so far.