Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Custom Characters + 2x16 LCD + PropBOE = WBA logo on display! — Parallax Forums

Custom Characters + 2x16 LCD + PropBOE = WBA logo on display!

WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
edited 2012-03-31 23:42 in Propeller 1
So I am working on my Shackable GPS Based Scavenger Hunt project and now that I have a full program flow laid out in a Visio Flowchart, I can assign myself tasks one at at time to make more efficient progress. The first item on the chopping block is the splash screen.

My WBA logo was created ~3 years ago using a free font called Jigga Jigga that I downloaded from DaFont.com. Utilizing all 8 of the custom characters available on the 2x16 Serial LCD, I was able to create segments of the logo that would resemble the Jigga Jigga font.

I used Excel to make a "map" of the display by placing my logo below a grid that matches a 2x16 LCD pixel layout. (an idea that came from another forum member who will be fully credited in the code for the finished Shackable project). From this map, I actually needed 9 characters. With a little bit of shifting of the character positioning, I was able to get two of the segments to match, meaning I only needed 8 custom characters.

2x16_Excel_Map_WBA.jpg

I added some ones and zeros to the excel sheet to match the status of the pixel. From that, I was able to easily create the code for each custom character per the LCD datasheet. Once the custom characters were coded, I simply threw it together in code based upon the "Serial_LCD_Custom_Character.spin" program from the Propeller Sample code on the 2x16 Serial LCD product page.

WBA_2x16LCD-A001.JPG

I also made an alternate version and added the "Consulting" part. Looks alright, but I will probably go with just the WBA as my splash screen.

WBAc_2x16LCD-alt-A002.JPG

Zip archive has all pics and both versions of code as shown. I love the new PropBOE. My setup consists of the PropBOE, Serial LCD, one 3 pin cable, and the USB cable.

PropBOE_2x16LCD.JPG
853 x 465 - 152K
1024 x 707 - 340K
1024 x 477 - 152K
1024 x 514 - 174K