Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Proto boards for the Quickstart — Parallax Forums

Proto boards for the Quickstart

TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
edited 2011-10-05 09:52 in Propeller 1
A couple of months ago someone (I think Ken or MattG?) posted some pics of proto boards designed for the quickstart.

How far off are these? Is it possible to purchase a few early samples?

thanks
tubular

Comments

• David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2011-09-23 09:04
    We don't have them ready as a product yet, but we did order a bunch of the proto boards, without headers or mounting hardware, for giveaways at the Open Hardware Summit and the Maker Faire in New York last week. We have extras for other giveaways, send me a PM if you would like a few.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-09-23 09:14
    Since the Quickstart will be offered at Radio Shack soon, are there any thoughts of having them carry the proto boards as well?
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2011-09-23 09:28
    We originally planned on including proto boards with the QuickStarts at RadioShack, but we wanted to keep the retail price low, so we decided against it. We are planning on offering add-ons to the QuickStart for RadioShack to carry, and the proto board will definitely be the first add-on that we finish designing.

— David Carrier
    Parallax Inc.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-09-23 09:56
    Tubular,

Have you seen this thread? There are a couple of pictures of blank proto boards that have been cut to use as mezzanine boards on the QuickStart.

IIRC the QS Proto Boards (as least the ones I saw Ken use) are the same size as the QS board so they block access to the touchpads, LEDs and reset button.

Duane
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2011-09-23 14:26
    Hi Duane

Actually thats a good option, because I want that ground plane in between proto pins (analog electronics). I had seen your post but didn't "twig" to that option, so thanks.

I still would like a couple of official QS protos though, as its kind of a reference design and needs to be easy to duplicate (preferably not by hacking up other boards!)

cheers
    tubular
  • jdoleckijdolecki Posts: 726
    edited 2011-10-05 05:20
    What we need is a small circirt board like this to use a ribbon cable to bring the pins out to a breadboard.

IMG_3625-300x200.jpg
    300 x 200 - 14K
    edited 2011-10-05 08:23
    I'd like to find a 40-pin male IDC to easily connect a ribbon cable to the QS board.

I've tried placing bare pins into the QS holes to try and make a female to female adapter. It didn't work very well.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-10-05 08:32
    Is this what you're looking for?

1-111446-8_sml.jpg

-Phil
    edited 2011-10-05 09:16
    Phil,

Half way there. I'm looking for the full 40 pins.

I found this using key words from the link you provided.

2-111446-3_sml.jpg

$12.25 for one but they drop to $5.88 if I buy ten at a time.

Darn, I just placed a big Digi-Key order last week. This will go on my next order.

Thank you for finding the connector you did. It helped me find this one.

Prior to placing my last order, I tried looking through Digi-Key's catalog and I couldn't find this among the many connectors.

Duane
  • dirtrider444dirtrider444 Posts: 33
    edited 2011-10-05 09:19
    Sorry guys; off topic. How do i create a post??
    edited 2011-10-05 09:29
    dirtrider444,

At the top of each forum is a "Post New Thread" button.

You'll want to make sure you're in the correct forum before posting.

If you have a question about the Propeller chip the "Propeller" forum is a good place to post. I think this Parallax Semiconductor forum is for people developing products using the Propeller chip. (I'm not sure about this.)

You can see by navigating here, there are a lot of different forums. Many of us use the "What's New?" tab to find recent posts so whatever forum you post in many of us will see it.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Duane

Edit: The "What's New?" tab shows new posts you haven't read. Your own post will probably not so up when you click "What's New?" but the rest of us will see it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-10-05 09:52
    Duane,

Sorry for the mixup. When I did the search on DigiKey, I specified 20 positions by 2 rows, or 40 pins (so I thought). I guess they count positions differently than I do. :)

-Phil