Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED color Organ — Parallax Forums

LED color Organ

bomberbomber Posts: 297
edited 2013-03-18 18:53 in BASIC Stamp
I built a LED color organ wit my BS2. It is hooked up to my computer speakers via a modified left speaker connected to an ADC. the BS2 samples the ADC and then decides which LED to light. And yes, those are straws on top of the LEDs. The straws act like light pipes, allowing the camera to see the light more clearly. I will post videos soon. I used Stamp Plot Proto graph the output from the ADC on my computer. In picture #3, you can see a black wire and a yellow wire coming off of the PDB. These two wires connect to my computer speakers. Enjoy!:smile:

Update: Added a 10K pot between aduio in and ADC in to stop the ADC from overloading if I am usng higher volumes. Also edited the code.

Finally finished the videos, and I am an hour early! Enjoy! :smile:
Please note: The aduio in the videos is low. I filmed these before installing the 10K pot and didn't have time to reshoot them.

Color organ with fireflies.

Color organ with freakazoid.
This video also shows the graph in action.
Sorry about the bad(ish) camerawork. Our tripod is a bit squeaky.
1024 x 768 - 99K
1024 x 768 - 83K
1024 x 768 - 111K
1024 x 768 - 80K
1024 x 768 - 87K
1024 x 768 - 81K

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2011-08-20 14:15
    No camera for youtube?
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-20 14:31
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    No camera for youtube?

I have a camera, although it takes a while to convert the video.
    edited 2011-08-20 15:49
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    Uploading to youtube isn't an instant process, a 30 sec video can take... a few minutes.
    edited 2011-08-21 08:56
    PJ Allen wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Our camera, being a higher quality, outputs it's movies in a format called 'MTS' instead of 'Jpeg'. It requires special software to convert it to 'Jpeg'. Then, I can use Windows MovieMaker to edit the footage. Finally, I can upload it onto Youtube and the Forums.
    edited 2011-08-21 15:52
    Video should be done by tonight (6:00PM).
    edited 2011-08-21 19:59
    I see.
    Very interesting.
    Stay busy.
    edited 2011-08-26 16:48
    I am posting the LED color organ to the Nuts& Volts LED Madness contest.
  • M.UmairM.Umair Posts: 2
    edited 2013-03-16 21:51
    Hi :-) I'm new here, this is my first post here, I'm planning a bigger version of light organ and that's what brought me to this forum so kindly do participate, thanks. I'll be mounting 6+6 light bulbs on two separate brackets for L+R sound channels. I'll be segregating sound in lows, mids and highs.
    When I was a small boy, there was a similar kind of version used in music stores by the store owners for marketing newly arrived cassette albums by playing them on tape decks and this light assembly being in circuit also. It's caught in my mind ever since :-) It's worth mentioning that in those days, there used to be 2 kinds of light organ assemblies; one regular version typically connected to the speaker's cable, the louder the volume, the stronger the flash, while another version connected directly to the "Pre", i.e the pre-amplification or before the circuit entered the amp, the signal coming from the playback-head.
    I'm more interested in the later one :-) reason being very simple; for this one, one doesn't necessarily have to open a louder volume, even on headphones one can have the light show. There used to be a separate amp kind of thing for light organ, one circuit from the 'pre' entered this 'amp' for light organ, which had a separate 'volume' too in case the recording level was down or the audible sound coming from the amp connected in series was to be kept audibly low. This volume was raised to make light flashes more stronger.
    Any suggestions for making such a circuitry in this regard would be highly appreciated as these assemblies especially for bigger lights aren't available in stores.
    bomber wrote: »
    I built a LED color organ wit my BS2. It is hooked up to my computer speakers via a modified left speaker connected to an ADC. the BS2 samples the ADC and then decides which LED to light. And yes, those are straws on top of the LEDs. The straws act like light pipes, allowing the camera to see the light more clearly. I will post videos soon. I used Stamp Plot Proto graph the output from the ADC on my computer. In picture #3, you can see a black wire and a yellow wire coming off of the PDB. These two wires connect to my computer speakers. Enjoy!:smile:

Update: Added a 10K pot between aduio in and ADC in to stop the ADC from overloading if I am usng higher volumes. Also edited the code.

Finally finished the videos, and I am an hour early! Enjoy! :smile:
    Please note: The aduio in the videos is low. I filmed these before installing the 10K pot and didn't have time to reshoot them.

Color organ with fireflies.

Color organ with freakazoid.
    This video also shows the graph in action.
    Sorry about the bad(ish) camerawork. Our tripod is a bit squeaky.
    edited 2013-03-17 18:57
    Welcome to the forums, m.Umair! The inspiration for this project came from Here: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2126272_-1
    I would recommend trying the circuit and replacing the LEDs with Solid State Relays and connecting those to the lightbulbs. The video farther down the page is a good overall tutorial. You will have to build the circuit twice for stereo sound. I would NOT recommend recreating the circuit I have posted on the forum. I (foolishly) hooked an ADC parallel with the speaker and (somehow) got some functionality out of it. Happy Building,
    Bomber
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-03-17 20:05
    SparkFun sells a chip that breaks the audio into seven different channels based on the sounds frequency. You still need an ADC chip to read the output but quickly read the output seven different times as you pulse one of the pins on the chip. The pulsing of the pin switches which frequecy is being output from the chip.

I purchased on of these chips a while ago. I keep hoping to add a visual display to my robot as it uses an Emic II.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2013-03-18 08:31
    You might find something interesting in this link, tone decoding using the Propeller.

I too was fascinated as a boy by the colors following the music. I built something using simple analog lowpass, bandpass, highpass, and each channel rectified fed a power driver, which was probably not much more than a transistor, although it might have been an SSR. I don't remember the details. The time-consuming part was fiddling with the two cutoff frequencies, which was difficult with the three separate filters. It would have been nicer to have two knobs for the two cut-points. I do recall it looked very nice with Japanese Koto music.
  • M.UmairM.Umair Posts: 2
    edited 2013-03-18 18:53
    Hi :smile: YOU GUYS ARE WONDERFUL ! THANKS BOMBER, DUAN DEGN, TRACY ALLEN :smile: THIS FORUM IS WONDERFUL. I really appreciate your interest in my question, I'll definitely browse these links.