Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look! - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look!

Comments

• Tony B.Tony B. Posts: 356
    edited 2011-08-24 04:58
    With Ken going to the large convention it gave me an idea. What if willing forum members with the help of Parallax held regional/area training meetings to help introduce and train Radio Shack sales people on Parallax products and great support resources? Might be a bit easier to cover more stores and may just get managers attention and support of the new products.

I would be willing to try it in Central Illinois. If Parallax is interested please contact me.

Tony
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-24 06:57
    Tony B. wrote: »
    an idea. ...willing forum members...area training meetings .. try it in Central Illinois.

This is a great idea. I would be interested in providing support (effort, not money) or at least observing, as possible from Chicago.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-08-24 09:36
    Hey Tony, braino and everybody else...

Here's what we're thinking: We going to create a "demo device" that can be used to show off multiple items that RS will be stocking, and then you can leave it with the Store.

We're also developing an of incentive program for those of you who want to participate!

Evolving as we speak, toss your ideas into the mix...more details to come :-)

-Matt
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2011-08-24 09:45
    Unfortunately my local "Rolling Robots" store closed this year. http://rollingrobots.com

They were in a premium ($$$) location in a busy mall, they lasted several years. Sold all sorts of robots (Parallax too) but their mainstay was an R/C arena where kids (and adults) rent a robot and race over light-up targets and move balls around to score. They did birthday parties and robot building sessions, which were very popular and fairly pricey. I wonder if Radio Shack would consider hosting any BoeBot competitions or something similar.

Most stores are too small for huge events, but maybe people could come by in small groups and compete over the course of a week to post their best score on a board. Rolling Robots maintained a web site with weekly and all-time high scores.
    edited 2011-08-24 09:51
    Just received...hot off the press...

Communique from Ken:

"TELL THEM WE ARE TRAINING THOUSANDS!"

photo 1.jpg

-Matt
    1024 x 765 - 98K
    968 x 1296 - 372K
    edited 2011-08-24 10:54
    From Ken -

This is Ken and Amy Shineman - the girl from the video...

photo 2.jpg

-Matt
    1024 x 765 - 90K
    edited 2011-08-24 10:56
    The RS Soldering Stations are busy training managers to solder...

I could be wrong. But is it really possible that Radio Shack is SERIOUS about DIY? Me thinks so!

photo 3.jpg

YA-HOO RADIO SHACK!
    -Matt
    1024 x 765 - 83K
    edited 2011-08-24 10:58
    "The Project"...

photo 4.jpg
    1024 x 765 - 85K
    edited 2011-08-24 11:13
    RS Soldering Stations are busy training managers to solder

RS looks like they're serious.

If we Forumistas unite and help RS teach their Stores, the whole community benefits :-)

Still working on our "RS Store Education Initiative" here. Will keep you posted!

-Matt
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-08-24 13:17
    WOW awesome work Parallax!!!! I can't believe that RS is taking this so seriously. I guess electronics are making a comeback!

BTW nice little kit that they are soldering, is that a work of Parallax?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-08-24 13:41
    Hmmmm....a picture of a STANDARD PRODUCT line MadeUSA on display next to a Quad-copter and above other STANDARD PRODUCT LINE items.....did someone leak a photo they shouldn't have???? Is this like the spy photos of the 2014 cars in Popular Mechanics????

What? Me? I didn't see nuthin' unusual........
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-08-24 17:09
    Is Ken on his unicycle or is Amy just a little short? :smile:
    From Ken -

This is Ken and Amy Shineman - the girl from the video...

photo 2.jpg

-Matt
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-08-24 17:16
    The BOEBot and the S2 SHOULD have been included in the rollout. There is nothing like moving objects to get the kids interested. (Price too high? They sell R/C toys that are close in price)

I understand that all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, but it could be a push for the Christmas season. Still time for a November-December sale.
    Just received...hot off the press...

Communique from Ken:

"TELL THEM WE ARE TRAINING THOUSANDS!"

photo 1.jpg

-Matt
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2011-08-26 14:32
    Hi,
    As a member of the Shack team in Phoenix, I could not be more excited about the new product. I for one was very upset when they removed most of the DIY product from the stores three years ago. Now we are swing back toward the end of the spectrum where we started. I will go after my bosses to make sure that my store has all of the new product as I am the most qualified in the district tosell it. I get phone calls from stores all over the district on what size a resister do I need for this LED.
    Jim
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-26 14:50
    Here's what we're thinking: We going to create a "demo device" that can be used to show off multiple items that RS will be stocking, and then you can leave it with the Store. We're also developing an of incentive program for those of you who want to participate!

I'm in.

What about software, in particular software training? In the case of software, the product is not parts, but it is books and classes. There is a LOT to software that has not been addressed by industry in general. I deal with experienced professionals, and many pro's don't know about process. Anybody who still thinks software starts and ends with coding has missed out.

The concepts of software development process as evolved from telecommunication, medical devices, and later aerospace and aviation, are now fairly well known and established. But this technology has not made it down the technology curve to other fields. Since this effort is focused on making "high tech" into "common tech", the software aspect should not be ignored.

My humble suggestion is that this has huge potential.
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-26 16:21
    from the looks of it the "project" is a bi color LED, two buttons, and a battery. please let me know if i am right.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-08-26 18:59
    bomber wrote: »
    from the looks of it the "project" is a bi color LED, two buttons, and a battery. please let me know if i am right.

That's about right, bomber, except for the fact it's a tri-color LED. Each button press is a different color. The RadioShack folks were rightfully proud of the project and results.

Ken Gracey
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2011-08-27 18:05
    This is really cool!

Thanks for the photos. Training thousands... Who would have thought? Clearly, I have to go visit my Radio Shack, and I'll have to show 'n tell and leave a card. What a wonderful way to meet up with some fellow prop heads, or potential prop heads in your local area.
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2011-08-27 19:05
    OMG!!! Radio Shack training managers to solder real boards!!!!! YIKES!!! What is this world coming to? I may not even have to go to Frys for a while?.. ....

Anyone out there remember the old Radio Shack P-box kits???

Frank
    edited 2011-08-28 06:19
    Matt,
    RS looks like they're serious.

If we Forumistas unite and help RS teach their Stores, the whole community benefits :-)

Still working on our "RS Store Education Initiative" here. Will keep you posted!
    I am not sure if my store will get the product immediately but I have put my word in with the district manager. Count me in from the Parallax side to teach my fellow associates!
    Jim
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2011-08-29 09:34
    wrote:
    So.... When are you going public and do we get any advance purchase options?
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-08-29 13:21
    Made my second trip to a Radio Shack today, this store the two sales people were interested and talked about
    how the amount of area for parts and DIY had recently been increased in their store.
    One of them indicated if I call back in the future I can get the district managers phone number and he is the one
    who would decide what products are carried in the store. He indicated that many customers asking for them to
    carry a particular RS part can be the driving force in having it in the store.

I put on my retailing hat and am thinking there needs to be a set of projects that uses the individual sensors and
    other parts Parallax is going to package up for Radio Shack. Projects for local Boy Scout groups or school projects that
    creates foot traffic at Radio Shack to get their project parts. Someone mentioned selling the S2 there and that is fine
    but it is one higher cost item which already has all the sensors so it is a couple of sales but the rest of the parts just lay
    there. Individual projects that use each sensor for learning would create more sales .

Just my thoughts
    Tom
    edited 2011-08-29 20:37
    So.... When are you going public...?

Ok, so I can't speak for the owners, but I'm pretty certain it ain't gonna happen.

One of the many beauties of being a privately held company is that there is no pressure "to hit expectations", or to do things that create more hype than substance, rather than simply making the best stuff we can, and selling it at a fair price.

Honestly, if I were given the opportunity to gain some equity myself, I would take it in a heartbeat - not because of an "anticipated meteoric rise in value", but because the company is well ran, we invest in the best equipment, and the employees are treated more fairly than anywhere I've ever been. (And I've been a lot of places).

We're not perfect, but we're encouraged to do the best we can and when mistakes do happen, we're empowered to make things right.

Sounds trite, I know. But it's true, I see it happen everyday.
    -Matt
    edited 2011-08-29 20:51
    Ok, back on topic -

We're slammed right now with three significant "projects" (that I'm involved with to some degree).

One is Radio Shack, second is Maker Fair NY prep, and the third is the "mystery project".

No, I still can't say.

Anyway...standby for upcoming details on how we (us and you) are gonna help usher in a whole new generation into geek-dom. It'll be fun, and it'll be an opportunity to grow our community!

We don't have all the answers, so "brainstorm" along with us :-)
    -Matt
    edited 2011-08-30 05:18
    Ken,
    How was your trip to FTW?
    Jim
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-30 07:06
    When are you going public
    Technically speaking... it has already gone public. Public meaning that it was announced on the forums. Public meaning that anybody can visit the forums. Public meaning that... you get the idea.
  • jim N8RHQjim N8RHQ Posts: 85
    edited 2011-08-30 09:18
    Hey Ken, great job to Parallax for helping Radio Shack re-enter the DIY market, like many others, I can hardly wait for my local stores to stock up.

Any chance of the 3 wire extension cables being available? Maybe a 5 pack of the 10" variety, for like $9.95
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-08-30 10:01
    jim N8RHQ wrote:
    Any chance of the 3 wire extension cables being available? Maybe a 5 pack of the 10" variety, for like $9.95
    I would definitely second that suggestion! Those cables are some of the most valuable commodities in my shop. And when you need one really badly, having them on the shelf at RadioShack -- at whatever price -- would be much better than waiting for an order to arrive.

In the same vein, an assortment of #4 hardware (screws, nuts, spacers, R/A brackets) would also come in handy. The local hardware store does pretty well with the screws and nuts, but spacers and, in particular, R/A brackets are not so easy to find in the small sizes.

-Phil
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2011-08-30 11:19
    jim N8RHQ wrote: »

Great Idea! MOTION CARRIED..

OBC
    edited 2011-08-30 15:45
    Great Idea Jim N8RHQ
    How about some 3 pin headers as well! I am taking apart some old protoboards to get them!
    Jim