Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look!

Comments

• sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-08-22 06:34
    Okay, another packaging question. I see the packages are color-coded for "sensor", "control board", "display", and "wireless". Cool.
    But why is the GPS module marked as "wireless"? I mean, yeah, I know, it receives wireless signals from the GPS satellites, but that's how it works, not what it's for. I think of GPS much more as a sensor. Am I just weird?
  • Spiral_72Spiral_72 Posts: 791
    edited 2011-08-22 08:13
    Well no kidding? The packaging does look good.... and I thought RS was getting out of the DIY scene after I purchased all their "CLEARANCE" Parallax stuff.

I had written RS off as an electronics part supplier. Maybe that was a bit hasty. It looks like they are trying once again.
  • Lauren DavisLauren Davis Posts: 313
    edited 2011-08-22 08:48
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    Okay, another packaging question. I see the packages are color-coded for "sensor", "control board", "display", and "wireless". Cool.
    But why is the GPS module marked as "wireless"? I mean, yeah, I know, it receives wireless signals from the GPS satellites, but that's how it works, not what it's for. I think of GPS much more as a sensor. Am I just weird?

Thanks for pointing that out, you're right sensor would be better, we'll go ahead and make that change.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-08-22 23:14
    This is really refreshing! Glad to hear that "the shack" is changing back to "Radio Shack". You can't find much worthwhile in their stores now, but it appears that that is changing. I caught the "gyrocope"typo immediately so I am glad others already mentioned it.

I think we need to have a list of Parallax items that will be in RS so we can develop a few "Radio Shack purchased" item based projects. They should also be posted on the forums, Instructables, hackaday, etc, etc, or any other place that also provides a bit of publicity. If you can get a servo from RS, I could make an RS only version of the reverse geocache box.
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2011-08-23 04:58
    wrote:
    way to go idaho !

Ken et Al . Yall ROCK!

May the shack be alive again !

Peter..
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-08-23 06:09
    I think we need to have a list of Parallax items that will be in RS so we can develop a few "Radio Shack purchased" item based projects.

This is a great idea! How cool to walk into a "shack" with some nifty (yes, I really talk like this) project and tell tehm you built it all with parts from THEM!!

I have three shacks nearby...I'll try and drop in and see what they are up to with Parallax parts.
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2011-08-23 07:55
    we need to have a list of Parallax items that will be in RS

Your wish is granted!
    This is what we're starting with...

On Hangers :

40000 - Propeller QuickStart Board

555-28188 - BASIC Stamp 2 Board

555-28027 - PIR Sensor

28015 - Ping))) Sensor

In Drawers:

27801 - 5-Position Switch

900-00005 - Standard Servo

27800 - Joystick

Initial (Select) Stores:

27977 - Serial LCD - Backlit

28500 - GPS Module

32440 - XBee Starter Pack

29124 - Altimeter Module (MS5611-01BA03)

27911 - 3-Axis Gyroscope Module (L3G4200D)

29133 - 3-Axis Compass Module (HMC5883L)
    edited 2011-08-23 07:58
    Keep in mind, that it'll take a little time for them to show up on the shelves too...
    -Matt
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2011-08-23 07:59
    Can we put in requests for which "Initial (Select) Stores" are selected?? I haven't picked up a QuickStart board yet so I'll probably get it from my local Radio Shack when they get them in. How soon will they be in stores??
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-23 08:10
    How soon will they be in stores??

I talked to Mr. Lindsay about that just yesterday, he guessed hat Mr. Gracey doesn't even know yet!!
    edited 2011-08-23 08:11
    Both "On Hangers" and "In Drawers" are in company owned stores (read "a lot"). This does not include "franchises". We're presenting to Franchisees this week in fact. It will be up to each individual Franchise Store Owner which (if any) products they want to carry. (make your voices heard ;-)

The "Select Stores" items are being determined by RS management (as I understand it). Don't know how many, nor where these will be.

-Matt
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2011-08-23 08:14
    Can we put in requests for which "Initial (Select) Stores" are selected?? I haven't picked up a QuickStart board yet so I'll probably get it from my local Radio Shack when they get them in. How soon will they be in stores??

Hey Robert! The "select stores" where you'll find everything (all nine items) consists of the top 1000 RadioShack stores. In some way these are an expanded test market selection of stores. You should see product there by the end of September, or early October.

Thank you for the support -

Ken Gracey
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-08-23 08:16
    Hmmmm, gyroscope and compass, but no accelerometer. Do you think one will be added to the mix? Of the three inertial sensors accelerometers are the most useful for robotics. (It's also helpful when usesd with compasses like the HMC5883 that aren't tilt compensated.)

Your Memsic 2125 seems pretty good. Haven't run into any problems with it, though it is "only" 2-axis.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-08-23 08:17
    That is great! I'll watch for them in my local store. There is one less than 1/2 mile away and is close enough to walk to or a good excuse for a bike ride if I need to get something quick.

Robert
    edited 2011-08-23 08:25
    I may be very wrong about this, but my feeling is that simply having the product in the stores won't make a lot a difference. People need to be shown what to do, and how to do it. They need to see a demonstration of the finished project to get jazzed about it. You don't get that with parts hanging on a slatwall.

I am making the hopeful assumption this is all endemic thinking to Ken and Radio Shack and the other stakeholders in this, but the way to generate interest is one or more of the following:

Gordon, we sure appreciate your input in this way. Thinking about what's the right way to support this and doing it are two different things. Perhaps more than most of us, you know from your authoring experience that it takes a significant commitment to round out the selection of hardware with examples, ideas, applications, etc. We will most certainly need the assistance of you and all the forum members who can participate. It would be our honor to have such support.
    1. Small, inexpensive books sold at Radio Shack covering many projects you can do with the Parallax product (full source code can be online) -- I'm thinking books very much like Matt's Cookbooks;

We can produce the book and then offer it to them. Parents, teachers, and anybody else raised without digital media would find this valuable.
    2. A big push to create, promote, and exploit Parallax-inspired projects on the Radio Shack's DIY site;

RadioShack has asked for exactly this item.
    3. Working with authors and contributors to let them know of the product mix available at Radio Shack, so when an article is written about so-and-such, they can say "Available at your local Radio Shack," instead of listing the usual online sources;

Also agreed.

4. A publicly editable wiki or "playground," supported by Parallax but not officially connected with them, where people can post their projects. The site would be moderated to prevent abuse.
    5. And this heretical suggestion: More examples, using other microcontrollers, for supporting Parallax modular product (gyro, FM module, altimeter, whatever). This simply increases the population of potential customers.

Certainly. We must have code for Arduino and other popular platforms if the item is sold in RadioShack. Again, an area where we will need some assistance.
    For my part, I'm trying to develop additional examples of Parallax's modular products, and have these published in print or on the Web. But it's slow-going because the current examples and datasheets are centered toward the BS2/Prop. Okay, that makes sense, and I understand why things are this way. But it takes more work to find tidbits like the I2C address. It's in the program demos, in one form or another, but not in the datasheet (I've run into two so far that are this way, the FM Module and the OFN module). These are GREAT products at a TERIFFIC pricepoint, but the datasheet/example problem pretty much locks these out to the average DIYer if their school, Scout den, robotics club, or whatever has settled on another MCU for their projects.

IMO, embracing these other controllers is the key to making all this work. This isn't saying anything about the functionality of BS2 or Prop, but is merely a recognition of the current market.

-- Gordon

Gordon, we agree with your points and would like to support them. Combine your efforts with Matt's "teach a RadioShack employee about the Parallax parts" campaign and we could make this a success. Hardware alone is not enough.

At the moment, I'm on an airplane to a RadioShack Biz Summit (select AA flights have WiFi!). We're spending a couple of days with their store managers (five thousand of them) to share our products. From this event we will collect some additional feedback about how we could best assist them. It would be our pleasure to have your assistance - I'll drop you an e-mail in a few minutes.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-08-23 08:29
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm on an airplane to a RadioShack Biz Summit (select AA flights have WiFi!). We're spending a couple of days with their store managers (five thousand of them) to share our products. From this event we will collect some additional feedback about how we could best assist them. It would be our pleasure to have your assistance - I'll drop you an e-mail in a few minutes.

Why don't you mention this weekends UPENE show to the RadioShack Managers. If there are any in the area it would certainly be good for them to attend the show and see what people are building with your products. There is nothing like seeing them used in real projects and talking directly to people who use them.....

Robert
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-08-23 08:33
    I wonder if RadioShack is gonna have a WiFi module?
    '
    I couldn't resist
    edited 2011-08-23 08:47
    $WMc% wrote: »
    I wonder if RadioShack is gonna have a WiFi module?
    '
    I couldn't resist

Don't resist this particular temptation, Walt! We should be shipping these by now. Kevin took a temporary sideshow in Parallax to support a specific customer but he's almost done. The actual modules have been manufactured, so they are sitting in the production shop waiting for final marching orders on testing, packaging and sale. I plan on sending one each to you and Bill to thank you for your patience.

But as you know, they'll be too expensive for RadioShack stores.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2011-08-23 08:49
    Hmmmm, gyroscope and compass, but no accelerometer. Do you think one will be added to the mix? Of the three inertial sensors accelerometers are the most useful for robotics. (It's also helpful when usesd with compasses like the HMC5883 that aren't tilt compensated.)

Your Memsic 2125 seems pretty good. Haven't run into any problems with it, though it is "only" 2-axis.

-- Gordon

No fears - the Memsic 2125 is already stocked in 5600+ stores, but in the drawers. It will stay in the drawers, unfortunately, but I was able to promote the Ping))) and PIR to center stage where they will bask in the fluorescent glory where they belong. The accelerometer is one of my favorite sensors, but we were given a limited amount of wall peg space.

Ken Gracey
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2011-08-23 08:52

-- Gordon

I agree Gordon. They should add the MMA7455 3-Axis Accelerometer Module to the "Hanger" list.

Jim

Edit: I see Ken already replied.
    edited 2011-08-23 08:57
    @Ken,

I assume all the RS items will be available from the Parallax store also?

Just in case I'm on a deserted island with no Radio Shack, I can have Tom Hanks deliver by FedEx.

Jim
  • tdlivingstdlivings Posts: 437
    edited 2011-08-23 09:18
    So the stuff is already in select RS stores. I wonder if RS has a link somewhere as to which stores in a given state.
    As I said I was going to do I went to my closest RS and the sales person seemed to know about it but he was not
    real excited either way about it. The store does have DIY items and is not totally phones.

Tom
  • bomberbomber Posts: 297
    edited 2011-08-23 09:27
    I did a search on radioshack.com for "Parallax" and I got 2 matches. The ping and the WAM kit. when will the new Parallax products show up on the website?
    edited 2011-08-23 10:14
    bomber wrote: »
    I did a search on radioshack.com for "Parallax" and I got 2 matches. The ping and the WAM kit. when will the new Parallax products show up on the website?

It is my impression that the final artwork for the packaging only went out this week. As Ken pointed out, you will not see product at the Shack until Sept-Oct.

I do hope Parallax will offer the new products through their store earlier so we can build something to bring into the RS stores and show them off.

Jim
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-08-23 10:33
    Pub
    '
    Look in the Store tab on the Parallax home page.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-08-23 11:13
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    It would be our pleasure to have your assistance

Ken, You got it! Whatever I can do I'd be honored.

Matt and I have already talked and a plan-of-action worked up. Enjoy the cool Ft. Worth weather (only 105 today!) and best of luck at the biz center convention. These products are a great opportunity for RS corporate and franchisees, as they play directly into the maker movement that's still showing growth, despite the economy.

-- Gordon
    edited 2011-08-23 11:20
    $WMc% wrote: »
    Pub
    '
    Look in the Store tab on the Parallax home page.

Walt,

Have you searched for those product codes ? They don't exist yet in the store.

Jim

EDIT: Sorry Walt. I should have been more specific. These are the items I was talking about:

29124 - Altimeter Module (MS5611-01BA03)

27911 - 3-Axis Gyroscope Module (L3G4200D)

29133 - 3-Axis Compass Module (HMC5883L)
  • Kevin CookKevin Cook Posts: 159
    edited 2011-08-23 13:55

What is the deal with the compass, altimeter and gyroscope modules? I don't see that in the Parallax store - are they new products that will be available here?

Hi Ron, Yes the compass, altimeter and gyroscope will all become available in our store (www.parallax.com) at the beginning of October. The product name includes the IC's these units will be using. You should be able to search out the datasheets from Google. All of the units will default to I²C for communication (both the Altimeter and Gyroscope can also be used in SPI mode). Power requirements on all of them will be the same (3.0V - 5.5V).

If you have any detailed questions please write me directly.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-23 14:32
    Joining the chorus that this is great and has lots of possibility.
    ...Teach the Stores ..... Who's with me?
    Tony B. wrote: »
    I'm with you Matt. I will .....

This seems like a very powerful potential. There is a Radio Shack near most every forum member in the US. Folks that are interested enough to participate in the forums also seem likely to participate with the store staff. Users training sales staff, possibly on a national scale. Has this been done before?

Maybe this aspect could be managed by parallax with simple instructions, or guidelines, or at least a list of highlights that parallax suggests?

Some of us have more enthusiasm than skill, but we still want to help.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-08-23 16:30
    40000 - Propeller QuickStart Board............
    900-00005 - Standard Servo.........
    27977 - Serial LCD - Backlit......
    28500 - GPS Module .........

(quote truncated)

Looks like I can probably make a Radio Shack version of my Reverse GeoCache Box if I use a quickstart board and the serial LCD. Guess I will have to add one quickstart to my next shopping list.