Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look! - Page 10 — Parallax Forums

New packaging and products for RadioShack stores - a quick look!

14567810»

Comments

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2011-12-09 20:07
    Thanks, Paul, but I've successfully liberated mine from its PCB chains, and it's happily plugged into a solderless breadboard, awaiting my next move.

-Phil

Hello!
    Interesting one. The RS in Forest Hills, (in Queens NY) has several in its drawers. And surprisingly enough they have in stock the Prop Quick Start platform, and the BS2 board that poses as the homework board. Here's the kicker, Matt, Ken, all of you back home, that store is not on the lists of stores for New York City.

Is it possible that the Parallax invasion of RS is becoming successful?
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2011-12-10 05:21
    That seems to depend on their age. The older guys are often semi-retired engineers/technicians -- or even ham ops -- who've been around the dance floor a few times and know their stuff. These are more often found in associate stores in out-of-the way locales. (My local RS store was started in the 70's by a retired Lockheed engineer.) The mall stores, OTOH, seem to hire minimum-wage, young salesmen types who lack an intimate connection to the technology. But that's a culture that may change along with the new product mix. It's not going to be an easy slog for RadioShack to change direction back to a DIY emphasis, but I'm rooting for them all the way! We really need a local presence to supply our needs and to inspire the next generation of DIYers.

-Phil
    Culture change needs to be at the Regional Director leval first. The orders coming down from them does not seem to support DIY AT ALL!

JIm
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2011-12-10 17:38
    I finally made it to the RS in Ankeny today and to my surprise they had Parallax, Arduino, and some other kits I can't remember who made them. It would have been nice if it were all on the same side of the shelving, outside of that I'm not going to complain. The clerk I talked to said the Arduino seemed to be more popular, I didn't get to talk much more about it because they were so busy. Some misc. parts and a Parallax LCD came home with me.
    -dan
    1024 x 1280 - 199K
  • icepuckicepuck Posts: 466
    edited 2011-12-10 18:00
    Radio shack price was $34.99, online is $29.99 a $5 markup for convenience isn't bad considering what ups would have charged for shipping.
    -dan
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-12-10 19:15
    I asked at my local RS associate store if they would be carrying other Parallax items. The salesperson I spoke with said no, just the stuff already in the drawers: Ping))), Memsic2125, and IR motion detector. I live in a small town, and I can understand their reluctance. Until recently, they still had ICs on the peg with RadioShack's 1980's-style packaging. (Sorry, erco, no SP0256's! I checked.)

-Phil
  • bsnutbsnut Posts: 521
    edited 2011-12-10 23:40
    I am too surprised to see Arduino being sold next to the Parallax idems. I also may go back and get the Xbee kit. The markup is not bad at all.
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2011-12-11 05:31
    bsnut wrote: »
    I am too surprised to see Arduino being sold next to the Parallax idems. I also may go back and get the Xbee kit. The markup is not bad at all.

I've seen the Parallax stuff now at three RS stores, and in all three cases there didn't seem to be any distinctions made between the Parallax and Arduino stuff.

The last time (at a store in West Town Mall in Madison WI) a 40-something man heard me talking about the stuff and asked if I knew anything about it. He had a little Arduino book in his hand that they were selling, and a hand-drawn schematic for some device he wanted to make using a linear actuator (which he already had) to move some lights on his car, and wanted to know if the Arduino could do it. I did tell him that any of the three processors there (Arduino, Stamp, Prop) would have handled it easily - he seemed sold on the Arduino because there was a book there for him to page through. At least I was able to make him aware that there were two other choices.
  • nightwingnightwing Posts: 56
    edited 2011-12-11 08:56
    I think I can see why RS want to get back into DIY. They lost the more tech clientele and the micro Frys/Bestbys/Phone Store/etc "we Also" tough to work even for small towns and are run over if any of the other tech places are around.

But DIY was their bread and butter for decades. There Sciences Kits along with the 101 experiments ones were great. I am very glad to see them get back into this area. But may take some boots on the ground at these places to go the last mile so to speak. And hard to get someone that had knowledge that will work for those wages.

But like the one I was at last night. The customer though one of the AC step down transformers would produce DC... Guess the guy with the activator could grab an Arduino with motor shield. If enough parts were in inventory there could use a Prop to drive the motor. Would think the Prop is much better choice for this. Just not really impressed with what the Arduino bards can offer. You need to add a ton to make it do anything.

I know at the local Frys where they just got in another set of items from Parallax. But the Arduino is collecting dust.

Hopping the new P8X32A QuickStart board really catch on! Like the concept of it!
  • nrsmacnrsmac Posts: 42
    edited 2011-12-11 09:05
    Those look Great!!! It would be AWESOME if we could get this in the uk. I.E. Maplin
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-12-11 11:49
    sylvie369 wrote: »
    he seemed sold on the Arduino because there was a book there for him to page through

Books make mighty sales closers. Having instructions, projects, tips, and so on in black and white are strong inducements to purchasing. Among other things I know Parallax is involved with, I'm assisting them in changing this situation. I'm hopeful that the KickStarts will get into print form and carried by RS, and will eventually include first-time guides similar to the Arduino book for BS2, Propeller QuickStart, and other supported boards.

Those who venture into the RadioShack jungle make sure you mention the KickStart wiki to the sales staff. The link is:

http://sites.google.com/site/parallaxinretailstores/

but there's also the main retail page, which shows the offerings (not all products yet have KickStarts):

http://www.parallax.com/go/rt

-- Gordon
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2011-12-11 13:53
    I popped into my neighborhood RS store to see if they finally had a display, apart from the little sensor drawer. Yes! Prominent for people walking straight in thru the door. Amusing too. In honor of "where's Waldo", can you find the Arduino in this picture? I purchased a roll of that nice 0.015" silver-bearing solder that they sell, and the clerk told me that if I want to find out more about those other products I should come back later in the day and talk with the person who knows more about it. I think I'll do that.
    RS_display.jpg

The disparate array of products is going to be confusing for the uninitiated. A video in conjunction might help, especially if interactive--One that has demos of people doing things, kind of like the ones they have for tools or kitchen gadgets--Let me show you what this and that can do!
    900 x 675 - 232K
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2011-12-11 15:01
    Looks like Parallax needs to make some of those nice displays.... The Arduino gets the main advertisement even though the Parallax goods are more thoroughly stocked.
  • nightwingnightwing Posts: 56
    edited 2011-12-11 16:16
    Just saw at the local Frys they have the continuous rotating Parallax servos! Bet they are gone in the next 24 to 48 hours. They cant keep the Parallax stuff on the shelf! Which is a great thing!
  • fixmaxfixmax Posts: 91
    edited 2011-12-24 06:08
    Just noticed the RS display for the new Propeller stock! That's truly great guys, I really appreciate it. I promptly celebrated the moment with an impulse buy of the Xbee kit!. Only one more thing that would be great, is additional Parallax stuff like the Backpack, C3, Gadget Gangster board, Propstick USB, Spinnerets, and Propeller Servo Controller USB boards. RS also had Arduino Megas, and Ethernet shields, and Motor Shields, so it would be great to see the same competitive type products from Parallax (and so I could impulse buy those too...)