Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bot #3 — Parallax Forums

Bot #3

ajwardajward Posts: 1,123
edited 2015-06-24 07:15 in Robotics
Time for a new 'Bot!

Bob is waiting for me to install a new processor board and Ted is getting fitted for a new battery pack. However, something more is needed!

I just got the 7.2 volt motor, wheel and bracket kit, a caster wheel is on the way and I'm going to order a couple of motor controllers. I have a dozen or so 12 volt gel cell batteries to play with. (Need to build a charger of some sort)

I'll probably use my Gadget Gangster Propeller board for the brains of the beast.

I'm going with a base of ~8"w by 12"l. With a nod to Erco, I was going to go with plywood, but a trip to Tap Plastics for some parts boxes also yielded a left over piece of plastic (7-3/4" x 12") for free. Free is good!

Starting some assembly today and I'll post a few photos when I have a little more than a pile of parts. :smile:

Amanda

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2011-06-23 13:37
    Amanda: If need be, I'll send you a free piece of plywood, 8" x 12.5" ! For gosh sakes, don't sell your soul to the devil and turn down Plastic Bot Road! It's a dead end that will lead to even worse mistakes!
  • RS_JimRS_Jim Posts: 1,753
    edited 2011-06-24 07:06
    Amanda,
    Erco sounds like a lobbiest for the American Forest Products. You know what kind of trouble you can get in associationg with lobbiest?
    Jim
  • ajwardajward Posts: 1,123
    edited 2011-06-24 13:38
    Search your feelings, Erco, you can't do this. I sense the conflict within you. Let go of your disdain of plastic!
    edited 2011-06-24 14:57
    Cellulite: BAD! Cellulose: GOOD!
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2011-06-24 17:31
    Hi erco.

BUT destroy Rain Forest -- NOT good at all.

erco wrote: »
    Cellulite: BAD! Cellulose: GOOD!
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2011-06-24 20:44
    Petrochemicals = BAD
    Renewable Wood Resources = GOOD

Have you ever heard of a "plywood spill" damaging and ecosystem...or an Ercosystem??

..oh, Amanda, not to get off topic but your latest robot sounds like a winner, regardless of platform choices!
    edited 2011-06-25 07:17
    Finished up the chassis for the new critter... Orville. (He's 'Bot #3 no more!)
    Just the platform and wheels for now. The electrical/electronics is still in the daydream/sketches in the mind stage. Still looking at the 12 volt gel cells for power, but rechargeable NiMh doesn't look too bad.
    Decided to use the Propeller Robot Control board for the logic board. That should be in next week. The Homework board is just a stand-in for layout.

attachment.php?attachmentid=82447

attachment.php?attachmentid=82448

attachment.php?attachmentid=82449
    edited 2011-06-25 17:07
    An update on Orville. The Prop Robot board came in today! (Another next day delivery. Parallax rocks!)

Got the board mounted and put through a couple of holes in the platform for power/signal cables. Putting together a breadboard to mount in front of the Prop.
    Haven't finalized the on-board power source yet, but I powered him up with the bench supply and the motors spin nicely... and rather fast too!!! He could probably out run me no problem! :lol:

attachment.php?attachmentid=82476
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-06-25 18:48
    Now you need some sort of remote.

XBees are cool. I also like these Nordic transceivers. They're so nice and small.

I wrote a driver for the Nordic transceivers. There are some links to really cheap Nordic devices on that thread. I haven't tried the cheap devices myself (just the Sparkfun ones).

You could use one of the many game controller objects with your remote. Here's a controller I'm working on that uses one of the Nordic transceivers and a PlayStation 2 controller.

PS2Controller.jpg

I've had bad luck with generic game controllers. I'd suggest getting genuine ones if you go the game controller route.

Thanks for taking time to post pictures of your progress. It's always fun to see what others are building.

Duane
    652 x 480 - 172K
    edited 2011-06-26 09:46
    Hey All...

I jury rigged a 7.2 volt R/C car battery pack on Orville this morning to see how well things worked. Just used the motor test spin code in the Prop 'Bot controller docs, tweaked a bit to have both motors running at the same time and direction.

Um... they work! Wow, does that thing move. From the 2 second run time, I can see a lot of problems to be solved.
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-06-26 10:36
    I think you will probably be looking at quadrature encoders before long to keep the wheel speed synched.

There is a good link here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118906-Stingray-Motor-Shaft-Encoders&highlight=quadrature+encoders

The Lynxmotion encoders can be found at http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-448-quadrature-motor-encoder-wcable.aspx

Good luck!
    edited 2011-06-26 10:50
    I think you will probably be looking at quadrature encoders before long to keep the wheel speed synched.

There is a good link here http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?118906-Stingray-Motor-Shaft-Encoders&highlight=quadrature+encoders

The Lynxmotion encoders can be found at http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-448-quadrature-motor-encoder-wcable.aspx

Yeah... I was running test code with both motors on full bore and the dude is way squirrel-y. I suspect I can cure a bit of that in code, but close is less than desirable.
    Good luck!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-26 11:03
    mindrobots wrote:
    Petrochemicals = BAD
    Renewable Wood Resources = GOOD

Have you ever heard of a "plywood spill" damaging and ecosystem...or an Ercosystem??

I almost hate to break it to erco and mindrobots, but plywood is a laminate that consists, in significant part, of plastic resins, many of which contain formaldehyde:

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-26 12:22
    Phil, you're from the great state of Washington, a lumber state where even 10 years ago, grocery stores never dared ask "paper or plastic". It was paper or nuttin'. If I can't count on your full support, ALL IS LOST! :)

And hey, formaldehyde ain't all bad... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-06-26 13:07
    erco,

Being from a timber-producing state finds me very conflicted, actually. From my living room window I can see both a paper mill that provides jobs to many townspeople and, directly behind its steam plume, a hillside that's been clearcut.

BTW, the local Safeway has quit asking, "Paper or plastic?" Instead, they say, "Is plastic okay?" One has to say, "No. Paper, please," proactively, to get a paper bag. OTOH, bag reuse and cloth bags are very common here. Also, except for fresh meat trays, styrofoam has been outlawed within the city limits for food and beverage containers.

-Phil
    edited 2011-06-26 14:17
    I spent a rainy night in Forks, WA many moons ago on bike tour. Buying some supplies in the grocery store and knowing I would be walking in the rain, I asked for plastic bags. "We don't have paper, we support the timber industry" was the reply. I guess(?) offering plastic is progress, or so Matt G would have us believe.

On my trip, I saw many clearcut areas, and other areas with small trees re-planted umpteen years prior. Weyerhaeuser had prominently displayed signs with their future harvest date marked, 10 or 20 years in the future. That's some slow & patient farming.
    edited 2011-06-26 17:57
    I've noticed the comments about the Stingray and baseboards with some smiles. Orville isn't quite a Stingray, but he's had a few encounters with the walls. However since his deck is higher than the 'Rays, he leaves his mark in the drywall.
    Eh... what's spackling for anyhow? ;-)
    edited 2011-06-26 18:50
    I made my comments long ago that the Stingray would benefit from MUCH lower gear ratios on the drive motors. In robotics, accuracy & control is far more important than maximum speed. Of course, that also applies to baseboard & drywall repair...
    edited 2011-06-27 01:56
    erco wrote: »
    I made my comments long ago that the Stingray would benefit from MUCH lower gear ratios on the drive motors. In robotics, accuracy & control is far more important than maximum speed. Of course, that also applies to baseboard & drywall repair...

I read the motor specs before I started building, but numbers on a page don't quite convey how fast that 'bot can go. I really need to round the corners on the deck so it bounces rather than digging in!

I've just gotten in to the demo code for the Stingray. We've made a bit of progress on bullet 'bot speeds, but more diddling is to be done!
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-06-27 07:49
    Amanda, you're becoming the queen of scrounge bots around here. I'll bet a router with a circle cutting jig would round off those corners quite nicely. You could use one arc for the front and another for the rear.
    edited 2011-06-27 10:06
    At least for the short term, add a piece of gray tubular pipe insulation (Home Despot/Lowe's) as a front bumper. It's slit down the edge and will just press on your flat (UGH) plastic chassis. Might just save you some drywall repair.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2011-06-27 10:43
    On the plastic vs wood discussion: there isn't a material today that doesn't pose some kind of environmental risk. It's the amount of risk (of course) but also where the risk is placed that is important.

While I have favorites, much of my choice comes down to how the material directly affects me. I like wood as much as the next person, but if you're going to be using open grained (e.g. unfinished) plywood, you should finish it, and odds are you'll use something with volatile organic compounds -- otherwise in time it'll soak up oils and moisture and may warp, or at the very least look bad.

Having to paint or stain wood just shifts the risk of some chemical compound to you, rather than some poor schmuck who works at a factory -- and in the case of plastics like PVC, that factory is often not in the US (bad for jobs, good for the US environment!).

By the gloss of the plastic in Amanda's pics, looks to be either non-expanded PVC, or more likely polystyrene. And here I thought Erco was a fan of styrene! :smile:

Amanda, about the only thing I'd to is round off or chamfer the front corners.

-- Gordon
  • Ron CzapalaRon Czapala Posts: 2,418
    edited 2011-06-27 12:32
    ajward wrote: »
    Yeah... I was running test code with both motors on full bore and the dude is way squirrel-y. I suspect I can cure a bit of that in code, but close is less than desirable.

I thought that too until detailed debugging data revealed that one motor started out slower and then revved up faster than the other. Pretty hard to handle that without encoder feedback...
    edited 2011-06-28 15:10
    I thought that too until detailed debugging data revealed that one motor started out slower and then revved up faster than the other. Pretty hard to handle that without encoder feedback...

Yeah... encoders are going to be needed for any accurate navigation. I have found that if the 'bot goes caster wheel first, I can get pretty decent straight line movement. Any bump or tilt in the floor and it all goes to hel.... er, I mean "heck! :smile:

I can get some okay nav. if I go at a medium speed and come to a complete stop before trying to change direction. By "okay" I mean trying to drive in a square pattern, it turns into something like an polyllipseogon. :blank:

Looking to move to another apartment real soon so the encoders are gonna have to wait a bit. Besides, I got got the accelerometer chip and that's become the new "shiny thing"! :lol:

I was able to make one really important addition to Orville... brake lights! :lol:

Amanda
    edited 2011-06-28 16:46
    Ted= Tread

Orville= ???
    edited 2011-06-28 16:53
    Long before I added encoders to my Retrobot, I had decent repeatability in basic maneuvers as this video shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfMFO-ee6ak

I think increased size & weight were an advantage in this case, as was quite low gearing ratio in the drive motors. And you can see that just like Ted, my li'l Retrobot started life as a rectagular chassis with humble square corners.
    edited 2011-06-28 17:06
    "O"h because I couldn't come with something more appropriate. I guess I could have used Percival for 'plastic' or maybe Ralph for a collection of 'random' parts or Norbert for "not wood" ( ;-> ). Regardless, my 'bots gotta have names. After all it's harder to disassemble a Bob than to disassemble a Boe Bot. ;-)
    edited 2011-06-30 03:18

By the gloss of the plastic in Amanda's pics, looks to be either non-expanded PVC, or more likely polystyrene. And here I thought Erco was a fan of styrene! :smile:

Amanda, about the only thing I'd to is round off or chamfer the front corners.

-- Gordon

Gordon,

I didn't think to ask when I got the sheet, but I think it's probably PVC from the way it acts when I drill it.

Don't think I'd do more than round the corners... I like all the real estate I have to play with!

@
    edited 2015-06-21 23:27
    Updating an old thread. Recently I rebuilt Orville. Basically the same layout, but using a pair of Pololu 80 RPM motors controlled through two HB-25's. The cabling is pretty messy right now and not really heavy enough for potential current draw, but it works well enough for testing (more tinkering needing). I need to assemble my dual relay board (if I can find the darned package) so power to the logic board is turned on before the HB-25's. Using a plug to power up the motor controllers isn't the best option.

Still using the old MSR-1 Prop board, but programming in C with SimpleIDE. Got some simple moves done and working to string a few together to do something useful. :-)

attachment.php?attachmentid=114525&d=1434953152
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-06-24 07:15
    @Amanda - Looks good! Is this the Wilbur upgrade?