Propeller I semiconductor process technology? Is it 350nm or 180nm?

cdecde Posts: 37
edited March 2011 in Propeller 1 Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi,

According to wikipedia, it's 180nm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_nanometer

But I think they may be referring to the Prop 2, as Beau said Prop 1 die photo is 350nm:

http://forums.parallax.com/archive/index.php/t-97773.html

In addition, 350nm only needs 3.3v whereas 180nm requires 1.8v, so this is consistent.

By the way, are all 3.3v chips made on a 350nm process? Or do they have some kind of voltage regulator inside?
Tagged:

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Date Added Votes
  • AleAle Posts: 2,206
    edited March 2011 Vote Up0Vote Down
    According to some earlier post by Beau or Chip it is 350 nm. The prop II will be 180 nm if I'm not mistaken. I do not think that all 350nm devices are 3.3V and some uC have a regulator inside (AVR32 for instance) but I do not know which process they are made on. What exactly do you want to know ? or Why do you ask this ?
  • cdecde Posts: 37
    Ale wrote: »
    According to some earlier post by Beau or Chip it is 350 nm. The prop II will be 180 nm if I'm not mistaken. I do not think that all 350nm devices are 3.3V and some uC have a regulator inside (AVR32 for instance) but I do not know which process they are made on. What exactly do you want to know ? or Why do you ask this ?

Out of sheer curiosity. ;)
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,122
    Hi,

The Prop I uses a 350nm technology, where as the Prop II will have 180nm technology.

There is no on-board-silicon regulator for the Propeller II design.

The process usually defines the maximum operating 'core' voltage but with proper design this can
    vary widely.

Beau Schwabe -- Metallurgical Machine Design and Development Engineer
    ෴෴www.Kit-Start.com - bschwabe@Kit-Start.com ෴෴ www.BScircuitDesigns.com - icbeau@bscircuitdesigns.com ෴෴