Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Shack Electronics Kit — Parallax Forums

Radio Shack Electronics Kit

GeeksGoneBadGeeksGoneBad Posts: 100
edited 2010-06-16 02:52 in Propeller 1
Hi Everybody!

I've been playing for about a week with my new Propellor Education kit and I was wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't use my Radio Shack Electronics Lab (this one) for my breadboard - it has LEDS, Pots, buttons, speaker, buzzer,·etc already threre ready to go

the only thing is the row at the top that supplies various voltages has 1.5V, 3V, 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, and 9V - would the 3V be good enough ir is 3.3V absolutely necessary?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.backyard-workshop.com

Comments

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    edited 2010-06-15 23:23
    3.0 V is fine. You might measure just how accurate the RSEL's voltages are before hooking up, though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2010-06-15 23:28
    3V can function
    BUT only if it is stabilized Power supply

Regards

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • p00ndawgp00ndawg Posts: 70
    edited 2010-06-15 23:45
    put a resistor on the 4.5v and use those.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2010-06-15 23:53
    p00ndawg said...
    put a resistor on the 4.5v and use those.
    No, do not do that! Be sure to measure the 3V supply to make sure it's actually a regulated 3.0V.

-Phil
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-06-15 23:57
    Why not protect yourself and tap the 6v connection to a 3.3v regulator.

Then you'll have a "known" safe voltage for your Propeller.

Personally, I love the idea of converting this kit to the Propeller. What voltage at the LED's?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Feature Projects: PropellerPowered.com
    Visit the: PROPELLERPOWERED SIG forum kindly hosted by Savage Circuits.
  • GeeksGoneBadGeeksGoneBad Posts: 100
    edited 2010-06-15 23:59
    Thanks for the replies! I hooked my multimeter up and it's a steady 3.1V for 5 minutes now

The Propellor chip fits just right too LOL there are 16 rows on the RS breadboard!

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.backyard-workshop.com
  • p00ndawgp00ndawg Posts: 70
    edited 2010-06-16 00:17
    nice, congrats.
  • GeeksGoneBadGeeksGoneBad Posts: 100
    edited 2010-06-16 01:59
    Well here's what I got -it's a little messy but I wanted to make sure it would work [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I am using one piece ('cause that's all that would fit) of the breadboard to give myself a little more breadboard area - I put it over the little window for the tramsformer - what do I need to see that for anyway? LOL

The circuit that's on right now is the first blinker test - worked like a charm [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks again for the tips guys -I'll be back I'm sure as I dig into things [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jamie

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my CNC (and more) projects at http://www.backyardworkshop.com
    800 x 600 - 154K
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2010-06-16 02:13
    OBC,

I have one of them also, there great kits. The LED's (as well as every other item on board) have spring clips to attach your wiring to. So it is up to you what Voltage you feed them. They have built in resistors to limit the current. What I found more valuable is the text books with example circuits that comes with it. I got mine second hand, but would love to get one with all the goodies still in it!
  • HarpritHarprit Posts: 539
    edited 2010-06-16 02:16
    I used the RS kit for some of the work on my books. Its a great value for about $50.00
    I made up a small power supply module that snaps in and out in a second. Its a snap in no brainer.
    Pic attached.
    Harprit

Post Edited (Harprit) : 6/16/2010 2:21:35 AM GMT
    2048 x 1536 - 629K
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,255
    edited 2010-06-16 02:38
    Hi,

That's a pretty good idea to use the radio shack kit. I'll have to break mine out.
    kindof like a poor mans ppdb.
    Since the power regulators use so much power, and non-rechargable batteries are so expensive, why not use NiMH batteries in it, which would put the 4.5V output at 3.6volts?
  • HarpritHarprit Posts: 539
    edited 2010-06-16 02:52
    Actually I fixed the battery problem too because I tend to leave things on for weeks.
    So I built two little modules that accepts a wall wart 2.1mm plug and provide the 5.0 or 3.3
    volts as needed. They fit on breadboards, the pins on the right are not connected to anything,
    the just help to anchor the thing in the breadboard. The blue connector provides external
    off board power capability.

Harprit
    2048 x 1536 - 679K
    2048 x 1536 - 703K