Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
I passed the P.E. test! — Parallax Forums

I passed the P.E. test!

Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
edited 2010-06-05 05:52 in General Discussion
As the subject said, I passed the professional engineering test. YEAH!! I thought I would offer some insight into what this was, for those that are curious, and offer some advice, for those that may be considering taking the tests.

E.I. or E.I.T. is a legal definition for Engineering Intern or Engineer In Training. This is a title that is granted to an individual that passes a broad topic engineering test called the Fundamentals of Engineering or FE. There are several qualifications that have to be in place to take the FE such as graduating from an ABET accredited engineering school. I took the FE test my senior year at college. The test is an 8-hour test, taken in one day, and covers topics from math to physics to chemistry to dynamics/statics to basic circuits to computer programming, etc. The test is on general engineering knowledge and science.

P.E. is a legal definition for Professional Engineer. This is a title that is granted to an individual who has passed the Principals and Practice Exam. In order to take this exam an individual has to have passed the FE and has to have had five years of verified experience working in their field as well as several recommendations from other P.E.s. The test is detailed, in-depth test focused on the field of the engineering study, in my case it was electrical and electronics. The test is a 8-hour test taken in one day. As a P.E. I can take responsible charge over a design, review them, approve them, etc. For some organizations, contracts or specific clients they may require a P.E.

For the USA, each individual state governs its professional engineers and usually has a professional engineering board or licensing board. In other countries the P.E. may also be called a Qualified Person and the regulations/testing may be determine by the country's government.

So.....for those engineers or soon-to-be-engineers out there I recommend taking the tests for the FE and PE. At a minimum take the FE, especially if you are still in college studying as it is easy to pass it while the knowledge is fresh in your mind. For taking either test, prepare in advance for the application. The application can be due three to six months before the test, so plan ahead. Do also plan to study and delegate time for review. Do buy the review books that include practice exams and review any materials published by the NCEES (the organization that prepares and administers the tests). For test day, plan your routine ahead of time and be prepared. Follow the rules published - the NCEES and the proctors take these tests seriously!

If you are considering taking the test and want more advice, feel free to PM me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Timothy D. Swieter, P.E.
www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" 16:9 LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT, PropNET, PolkaDOT-51
www.tdswieter.com

Comments

• ScopeScope Posts: 417
    edited 2010-06-04 01:29
    _c_o_n_g_r_a_t_u_l_a_t_i_o_n_s_!_!_!_
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2010-06-04 01:44
    Good job!

But what they don't tell you - and what they keep a deep dark secret - is that your final REAL test happens late at night, after they show up at your door and drag you outside. I am sworn to secrecy but I can tell you this: the final exam involves your leaping through a flaming hoop multiple times backwards while naked except for the magnesium wool that they superglue to your groin and hind quarters.

Good luck!

jumpin.gif
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2010-06-04 01:51
    Thanks ElectricAye for the tip. I suppose they will find me anywhere in the world, even if I live in Singapore, though the test may have some local cultural variations.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, P.E.
    www.brilldea.com - Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, 3.0" 16:9 LCD Composite video display, eProto for SunSPOT, PropNET, PolkaDOT-51
    www.tdswieter.com
  • pjvpjv Posts: 1,903
    edited 2010-06-04 02:08
    Timothy;

As a fellow PE (or as here in Canada it's called a P.Eng.) congratulations on achieving that distinction. I'm certain you will do your profession proud.

As I have now had the pleasure of practicing the profession for 43 years, I'm still working and remarkably, learning every day. I expect you will be fully exhillarated by your profession, and will also learn more every day. You are very lucky.... your journey is just beginning.

Next time I'm in Singapore (I still stay in touch with a company I owned there years ago), which might possibly be as early as the next several months, I would like to look you up and trade some "war stories".

Cheers

Peter (pjv)
    edited 2010-06-04 02:11
    Sure Peter, if you come to Singapore let me know and we can hook up. If you have been to Singapore in a while, you might not recognize it with all the changes in the last couple years to downtown, Sentosa and Orchard road.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, P.E.
    www.tdswieter.com
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2010-06-04 02:16
    Congrats, Timothy. Now you can be an Overly Enthusiastic PROFESSIONAL Entertainment Engineer smile.gif
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-06-04 02:50
    CONGRATS! GREAT JOB!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Feature Projects: PropellerPowered.com
    Visit the: PROPELLERPOWERED SIG forum kindly hosted by Savage Circuits.
    edited 2010-06-04 03:16
    Thanks guys. Now that I got the PE done, I am trying to get back to Propeller ethernet/web software stuff that I started back in March and April.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, P.E.
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2010-06-04 04:32
    Hey Timothy!

Congratulations! You've been in pursuit of the PE for quite some time and we're happy that you achieved the goal! Nice work!

I had meant to write you a message about Spinneret software. We need to send you a couple of boards. Thomas is having them built this week.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ParallaxKen for some insider news.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2010-06-04 05:27
    Way to go! great job!

BTW) Dowsing yourself in an inert oil might solve the magnesium issue, at least until the magnesium can safely be removed ... the oil might even help you out with the super glue. So quite literally you could kill two (ahem) birds with one stone smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-06-04 06:14
    Congratulations!!
    Just take a swim in the gulf to get coated with oil.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • stamptrolstamptrol Posts: 1,731
    edited 2010-06-04 11:59
    Congrats!,

The P.E. (or P. Eng. here in Canada) is a significant accomplishment and will only grow in value as you gain experience.

Now, get involved with the professional association wherever you may be. The contacts you make will help your career down the road.

Tom Sisk, P. Eng.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Sisk

http://www.siskconsult.com
    ·
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2010-06-04 12:49
    Congratulations! And thanks for already having shared quite a bit of the fruits of your knowledge.
  • eod_punkeod_punk Posts: 146
    edited 2010-06-04 12:59
    Congrats Timothy. When I read the subject I was thinking about my kids in grade school where P.E. means physical education. I thought it was weird that someone was bragging on here about passing their gym class! How was the test? Harder or easier then you thought it was going to be?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    There is no problem that can't be solved with a suitable amount of explosives!

EOD Memorial
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2010-06-04 14:11
    Very impressive! I'd imagine such an accomplishment would drastically increase your earning potential!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2010-06-04 17:56
    Congrats, Tim, good on ya Boy! I did the EIT many moons ago at graduation, but never followed up with the PE. You've been studying, that's like passing the Bar exam for lawyers. Time to celebrate! If I ever make it to Singapore (or you ever make it to LA) I'll buy you a beer !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2010-06-04 18:22
    Well done, SIR!

DJ

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Invent-O-DocInvent-O-Doc Posts: 768
    edited 2010-06-04 18:57
    You should, considering the great stuff you have been posting. Congratulations Tim!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tom Talbot
    New Market, MD, USA
    edited 2010-06-05 00:57
    Thanks guys again for the congrats. The test can be horrendous, if you don't prepare for it. Prepare for me was reading through my text books, practicing problems from very easy to very difficult. I also subscribed to an on-line question system that helped me with terminology and short problem solving. Finally I worked practice exams from the NCEES and from other places I found on-line. The practice exams are key because they are representative of the real exam. With this preparation one shouldn't be shocked when they take the test. I though the test itself was so-so. I was expecting it to be more difficult, but I left feeling good - good that it was over and good about most of my answers, but there was enough unsurity about other answers.

Erco - why not take the PE? At least start reading and studying and maybe this fall or next spring you can take it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, P.E.
    www.tdswieter.com
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-06-05 01:01
    Tim, Crongrats!

Just don't think you can bump all your prices up 50% now [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jim
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2010-06-05 05:52
    Congrats!!! Well done!

(sure was a lot of work for 32 bits added to your name, huh?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    8x8 color 80 Column NTSC Text Object
    Wondering how to set tile colors in the graphics_demo.spin?
    Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    This good old thread popped up to the top just now when somebody spammed it. I flagged the spam and it was deleted, causing the thread to drop out of view again.

But having read it, and seeing the OP was nearly 8 years ago, I'm curious...

So Timothy, what happened? Where did your PE lead you to? Good things I hope.
  • Hi Heater!

Thanks for asking, and for taking care of the SPAM.
    Has it been 8 years already?

One of the reasons I wanted the PE was for a personal satisfaction on engineering.
    Another reason is that it is looked highly upon in the theme park industry, if you are designing rollercoasters and safety systems, it is a good credibility. Though we don't usually stamp drawings for control systems as they aren't submitted to a governing authority for review.

In 2015 I left working full-time in entertainment industry. For nearly three years now I've been designing businesses and working with startups at Steelcase. This role doesn't require a PE, however there are some circles and startups that I get talking to and I can proudly wear the engineering hat. My role now covers a wide gamut from user desirability to financial modeling to prototyping and building. The PE doesn't specifically lend to any of this, yet the curiosity I have from engineering and the drive to achieve and meet my goals are components that matter a lot in business and building something of value for others.

I keep my PE up in the state of Florida, which involves continuing education. I still do some theme park consulting too. Maybe I will return to that some day. I'm still proud of the PE and encourage other engineers to pursue. Some careers it is a must, I have a couple friends who are Civil Engineers, others it is a nice to have.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    That's great.

I think personal satisfaction is the best reason to do such a thing. If one is not curious or passionate about it and only doing it for the job prospects then it is going to be a drudge and probably lead one to a job that is a misery.

Certainly demonstrating one has some brains, but more importantly has enthusiasm and staying power to get the thing done carries a lot of weight and earns respect. Even if one ends up doing something only tangentially related.

Anyway, after all this time, well done!