Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What are the requirements for OSC1? — Parallax Forums

What are the requirements for OSC1?

Sens-a-DatSens-a-Dat Posts: 44
edited 2010-08-03 05:58 in General Discussion
I am considering the use of an external clock signal to be used for the SX48. I understand the signal is to be connected to OSC1.

What are the electrical requirements for this to work properly?

Thank you,
Gary

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2010-05-28 06:09
    TTL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • dkemppaidkemppai Posts: 315
    edited 2010-07-29 20:19
    Sens-a-Dat said...
    I am considering the use of an external clock signal to be used for the SX48. I understand the signal is to be connected to OSC1.

What are the electrical requirements for this to work properly?

Thank you,
    Gary
    5V Cmos or TTL. Nothing below that seems to work. You probably won't find it in the data sheet.

(I know, I have a batch of boards with 3.3V osc's. And they won't clock the SX! Have to manually modify each board for a 5V osc)· [noparse]:([/noparse]

-Dan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

"A saint-like quantity of patience is a help, if this is unavailable, a salty vocabulary works nearly as well." - A. S. Weaver
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2010-07-31 17:03
    Does this mean that an Xtal with the SX powered at 3.3v will not clock as well?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ain't gadetry a wonderful thing?

aka G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse] 黃鶴 ] in Taiwan
  • PJMontyPJMonty Posts: 983
    edited 2010-08-03 05:58
    Dan,

I have a project that runs at 3.3 volts and has a 3.3 volt oscillator chip driving it and it all works just fine. Are you trying to use a 3.3 volt clock with a 5 volt SX project? The project in question is the 6 port RS-485 hub that I built. There's a two part article I wrote about it in Circuit Cellar a few months back. I use a pre-packaged clock chip and divide it by two using a 74LV74, which is basically the 74xx TTL parts designed to run on anything from 2 to 5.5 volts.

Thanks,
    PeterM