Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need help with video driver (TRS80) — Parallax Forums

Need help with video driver (TRS80)

pullmollpullmoll Posts: 817
edited 2010-10-31 06:46 in Propeller 1
My first try to write a specific video driver, one to mimic the TRS80 hardware, is stuck, because I don't know enough about video signal generation.
The code produces some video signal, but either the timing is way off what I would need, or I have an error in my design.

The TRS80 hardware, for those who don't know:
  • 64x16 character display with the 1K video RAM at a fixed address.
  • 6x12 pixel character cells with 6x8 pixel text in the upper 8 scan rows.
  • 128 alphanumeric characters, 64 block graphics characters repeated once.
  • blockgraphics cell is 2x3 i.e. each pseudo pixel is 3x4 pixels.

Since rendering the 6 pixel wide font or the blockgraphics within the video task seemed to be too much, I decided to try a 2 cog solution. The video cog draws a raw bitmap consisting of 2 scanlines, always alternating between them. It's kind of double buffering, but just the scanline instead of an entire frame buffer. The render cog fills these 2 scanlines by decoding characters or block graphics and counting the character scanrows resp. 3rds. The first two 3ds contain data from the font, the last 3rd is blank. The block graphics use bits 5..0 of a character code to decide which pseudo pixels are on.

The synchronization between both cogs is done with a long containing the current scanline. The video cog increments it after finishing to output a line, the render cog waits until the other buffer is free and can be refilled. So far for the theory [noparse]:)[/noparse]

It's probably best to have a look at the video, so I attach the source.

Thanks to Cluso99 for the Debug_1pinTV driver which this code is based upon. I ripped out almost everything but the inner active loops. The timing is calculated for a pseudo 48x24 with 8x8 character cells screen, which yields the same dimensions (384x192) as a 64x16 with 6x12 character cells.

TIA,
Juergen

FWIW: It looks more like a software synchronization problem than a hardware issue. The picture may be stable and just my code not syncing both cogs as I intended.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
He died at the console of hunger and thirst.
Next day he was buried. Face down, nine edge first.

Post Edited (pullmoll) : 3/22/2010 12:32:23 AM GMT

Comments

• pullmollpullmoll Posts: 817
    edited 2010-03-22 03:57
    I'm getting closer. It looks like I need more bitmap buffer to keep both cogs in sync. I now have a 12 scanline bitmap and try to synchronize the render cog to start rendering the character row while the display cog is somewhere into the bitmap. Now I have the funny effect that some entire character lines are repeated.. Oh bug, where do you hide yourself?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-03-22 09:09
    It wouldn't be any fun without those simple but elusive bugs. You know the ones... they are usually so obvious staring you in the face that you miss them looking for a much more sinister one LOL

I will try and get some time to look later.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
    edited 2010-03-22 09:17
    Cluso99 said...
    It wouldn't be any fun without those simple but elusive bugs. You know the ones... they are usually so obvious staring you in the face that you miss them looking for a much more sinister one LOL

I will try and get some time to look later.

I also love them. There ought to be a text editor not with syntax highlighting, but with bug highlighting [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I had to fiddle around with when to set the scanrow back to 0 when a new frame begins to make a stable picture. Now I'm experimenting with when to increment the scanrow and so make the renderer begin writing to the bitmap buffer. It seems as if the renderer sometimes misses the next scanrow and leaves the buffer as it was.
    BTW with #define NTSC in the top level file I get a flickering picture, while PAL seems ok...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (pullmoll) : 3/22/2010 9:30:47 AM GMT
    edited 2010-03-24 12:45
    Just FYI: I managed to get it working now with a buffer of 2 scanlines. I needed to move the font to the hub RAM and pre-calculate the block graphics and store it in the 256 character font, or otherwise the renderer alone would not be fast enough to keep up with the video. Boy, video timing is _really_ tight. In the innermost loop you have very few instructions, perhaps 5-6 with a 6 pixel wide font, and that isn't enough to accomplish what you need, i.e. two hub RAM accesses. I tried to join the renderer and the video and this produces a non-synching video signal - probably because the :active loop is far too slow.

Anyway, I'm happy with my 2 cog solution now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,079
    edited 2010-03-24 18:38
    I am curious, is this for a Model I/III/IV or a CoCo?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    -- Terry
    edited 2010-03-24 20:18
    ke4pjw said...
    I am curious, is this for a Model I/III/IV or a CoCo?

Model I, definitely not the CoCo [noparse]:)[/noparse] I'm using a 1 pin TV driver, so there is no colo(u)r.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2010-03-24 20:44
    Although it wasn't used by a lot of programs there was also the 32x16 mode for video that doubled the width of the characters...

Robert
    edited 2010-03-25 06:18
    RobotWorkshop said...
    Although it wasn't used by a lot of programs there was also the 32x16 mode for video that doubled the width of the characters...

Robert

Now that you say it! I have to try to fit that mode support in the video cog alone, because the renderer cog is filled to the limit. It should be possible by changing the pixel and frame widths, but collecting the 6 bit chunks from the bitmap line is going to be difficult, because they overlap the longs :-P
    The other way would be to reload both cogs with different code to do the even position characters only double width display.
    Edit: No, Smile, I forgot I had moved the font to the hub RAM, so there is space in the renderer cog. I'll leave that for later, though, because it is not that important to support this mode.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (pullmoll) : 3/25/2010 6:25:07 AM GMT
  • bazibazi Posts: 29
    edited 2010-10-31 06:46
    I've tried this driver, it's working but the picture is very very dark and it isn't working with all my screens. I have a very old (about 30 years) Phillips TV and it is working. The other one is a "Santec" screen with a composite input, it shows nothing.

Do you have any ideas to solve this problem? This screen driver would be very very great :)