Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax approved Eagle Parts — Parallax Forums

Parallax approved Eagle Parts

Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
edited 2009-11-06 01:38 in Propeller 1
Here is the first of many more to come.·
Parallax is working hard to make your lives easier. I believe that we will eventually move this collection of parts to a link on the website but for now we will try to keep it here.
This first library is titled Parallax_Propeller.lib and it includes the Dip-40, LQFP-44, QFN-44 packages.· It has been checked and double checked to be correct so enjoy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-09-25 18:39
    Hey there,

We provided parts to Brian to create this library and reviewed his work internally (David Carrier). The Parallax Eagle library is a work in progress and we want it to be perfect for your use, so feel free to offer up suggestions. And tell us what other Parallax parts you'd like in the library, and we'll add them too.

In the near future we will offer more complete Eagle designs of our own products, too.

After this message thread settles I'll make it a permanent "sticky".

- Ken
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2009-09-25 19:05
    > This first library is titled Parallax_Propeller.lib and it includes the Dip-40, LQFP-44, QFN-44 packages.
    > It has been checked and double checked to be correct so enjoy.

Now this is a really great move! "Vielen Dank" smile.gif
    I suggest that you also drop the file at CadSoft's library collection with the tag "Official Parallax version".

I'll have a beer for you right now!
    Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2009-09-25 19:09
    This is indeed great news smile.gif

Thanks Brian, just what I need for my new design.....

Thanks also to Ken and Parallax for supporting Eagle, I'm sure it will help to promote this great micro.

Regards,

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-09-25 20:36
    only problem is it has been made so older version of eagle can not read it.

please make compatible with eagle 4.15(I don't have $1000 at the moment to upgrade to 5 and I am sure I am not the only one)

has the pad under the qfn chip been corrected like i did in attached library?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.

Post Edited (mctrivia) : 9/25/2009 8:44:49 PM GMT
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2009-09-25 22:44
    McTrivia,
    What changes have you made?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-09-25 22:48
    I made pad grounded so it will pass drd check. Also changed tstop and tcream layers to allow proper bonding and stencils.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.

Post Edited (mctrivia) : 9/25/2009 10:56:20 PM GMT
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2009-09-26 00:38
    This is great!

Hidden deep in the existing default menus of Eagle are the parts for the eeprom and the xtal. Given these parts are almost always used in a project, would it be worth copying them over and including them in the library package? Mabye smd and DIP for the eeprom. They wouldn't add much to the size of the package.

Then, maybe down the track, add a few other common parts as on the demo board, eg the VGA socket, and the keyboard socket (I spent 4 hours finding the right PS2 socket buried in the library). I can provide some pointers about where they are if required.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.smarthome.viviti.com/build
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2009-09-26 03:56
    Very soon, every part that parallax sells as a component will be in the library. This includes all EEPROMS, resistors. regulators and on and on. Soon, Very Soon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-09-26 03:58
    But will you make available to older versions?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2009-09-26 04:42
    Every part, eh?!

Well, that is good news. Sparkfun do something similar and I downloaded their library and it was very useful. And, from a commercial perspective, it generated some sales for them as I knew the part I was buying would fit on the board I was making. (eg the micro sd socket fits their micro sd socket. But it is the dumb one that you need to solder inside the socket which I don't know how to do. Or get a reflow oven. Cluso had a better micro sd socket from Digikey that had pins at the back rather than inside the socket. But that doesn't exist as an Eagle part). However, I digress.

Many of the parts Parallax sell may already be in the library. And it would be very convenient to have them all bundled up together.

Re Eagle 5.0 and later, I paid Cadsoft $125 18 months ago and that gives boards that are more than big enough for me (twice the size of the free version for the area you can put parts in, but you can actually make the board bigger than that and can put holes in the corners and the autorouter can go as big as you like) and that version comes with updates etc. So, I wonder if it is necessary to pay $1000?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.smarthome.viviti.com/build
    edited 2009-09-26 04:45
    My last board was 8 layers with several hundred via and 1000 pins. Space is only as big as dip40 prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-09-26 04:57
    I would love to upgrade just don't have the money.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• TreeLabTreeLab Posts: 138
    edited 2009-09-26 05:02
    Would there be any interest in extending support to other design suites, such as DIPtrace?
    Cheers!
    Paul Rowntree
    edited 2009-09-26 06:45
    > I made pad grounded so it will pass drd check.

There is a ground pad that is part of the lib? But this way, I can't route traces/vias across it. It's a nono-area when the pad is included in the lib. This way, the lib is useless. The pad is a layout-feature done during routing, and has nothing to do with the part itself. So it doesn't belong there.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
    edited 2009-09-26 12:53
    The qfn package has a solder ad for ground. No traces should be under it except vss to pins and vias to ground layer

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-09-26 13:31
    > No traces should be under it except vss to pins and vias to ground layer

Then its useless!
    Is that "should" or would it have to be "it is suggested"? I guess the later. But some know better. :-(
    With a two-sided PCB and using all pins and litte real estate on the PCB you'll have a hard time routing with the resricted pad.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

YADRO
    edited 2009-09-26 13:38
    should as in you may short your trace and damage stuff if you run it under the qfn chip.

that is part of the down side of qfn. the qfn is smaller then the qfp and you can drop vias right under the pads so it really is not that big of a hardship.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2009-09-26 17:50
    If we are making a sticky-level thread, I suggest that we bundle the recommended schematic layout info as well. It'd be nice to have a paralax approved qfn layout too.
  • Greg LaPollaGreg LaPolla Posts: 319
    edited 2009-09-26 18:14
    @Treelab,

Eagle libraries can easily be imported into diptrace. Simply export an eagle library to scr format, then import that into diptrace. Sometimes the library needs a little tlc after the import, but for the most part it will be complete.

Greg
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2009-09-26 18:30
    Greg LaPolla said...
    @Treelab,

Eagle libraries can easily be imported into diptrace. Simply export an eagle library to scr format, then import that into diptrace. Sometimes the library needs a little tlc after the import, but for the most part it will be complete.

Greg

What kind of TLC?

Rich H

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Servo Boss, a 12 channel servo tester kit from Gadget Gangster.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-11-05 01:38
    I am in the process of updating Eagle and using it for my designs in the Propeller contest will be more "open-source" than if I use DipTrace.

What's the status on additional libraries/updates/etc?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2009-11-05 09:25
    I hate to say it, but I've already done this and uploaded it in 2007.

ftp://ftp.cadsoft.de/eagle/userfiles/libraries/parallax_propeller.lbr

Feel free to check for accuracy, but I spent hours on it and it does match the specs exactly except for the pad under the QFN. You cannot make a pad big enough and Eagle wont let you assign anything to a rectangle.
    Nick Mueller said...
    > No traces should be under it except vss to pins and vias to ground layer

Then its useless!
    Is that "should" or would it have to be "it is suggested"? I guess the later. But some know better. :-(
    With a two-sided PCB and using all pins and litte real estate on the PCB you'll have a hard time routing with the resricted pad.

Nick

My understanding was that the pad was there for thermal management. Maybe not?

Post Edited (MarkS) : 11/5/2009 9:34:49 AM GMT
  • SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2009-11-05 11:49
    @Treelab,

Greg

So If I want to use these in DipTrace I also have to install Eagle so that I can do the export? How about providing the exported SCR format or even better, just do the export/Import process for us·and provide Eagle AND Diptrace libs.

thx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Searider
    edited 2009-11-05 13:39
    Marks I fixed your library a while back and uploaded to page 1 of this thread.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-11-05 16:39
    Searider, yes/no. That is what you have to do to convert the libraries for DipTrace However, when I get around to squaring things away with my software installs, I will be doing this conversion and posting the DipTrace library that gets created if no one else has yet. I have DipTrace Full Edition 2.0.07, 5/7/09 and I am uncertain if the libraries are backwards compatible with older versions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
    edited 2009-11-05 16:57
    mctrivia said...
    Marks I fixed your library a while back and uploaded to page 1 of this thread.

So I see. Thanks!
    edited 2009-11-05 17:06
    and unlike the official parallax one this one will work with older versions of eagle. We can't expect parallax to do everything in a way to help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-11-06 01:38
    It doesn't bother me if Parallax wants to do this, so long as they don't ask me (or CadSoft) to remove mine.