Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CoolerBot – An Outdoor Telepresence Robot — Parallax Forums

CoolerBot – An Outdoor Telepresence Robot

norris56norris56 Posts: 69
edited 2010-03-01 15:32 in Robotics
This is not exactly a “completed” project but it is somewhat operational. CoolerBot (the working name until I come up with something better) is being built as an outdoor telepresence robot which will be used for nature photography and surveillance. It is both rugged and waterproof and designed to stay outdoors for long periods of time. When finished it will sport an infrared video camera, digital still camera and two solar panels used to recharge the motor and logic batteries.
CoolerBot uses a tail-dragger design with 15” wheels in front and a 10” castering wheel in the rear. ·The caster wheel is mounted using PVC pipe. The robot is capable of moving in either direction. CoolerBot uses two NPC-41250 motors powered by one of two 10 amp hour 12 volt SLA batteries. The logic is powered by a separate 5 amp hour 12 volt SLA battery. The motors are driven by two Parallax HB-25s are which are controlled by a Propeller. Currently the robot is remote controlled through a 912 MHz Transceiver.
·This project is in its early stages but has proven to be quite fun. As with most of my projects CoolerBot will appear as a feature article in an upcoming Robot Magazine.
Below are some pictures and you can see a YouTube video of CoolerBot in action at this link:
·http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV75kKmTTDo

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
1024 x 680 - 181K
680 x 1024 - 114K

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-09-16 18:26
    How could you possibly come up with a better name than "CoolerBot?" Very neat project Steve! What a great idea for a weatherproof bot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-09-16 22:57
    I agree with Whit+ great name for a fine project, Steve. You've been making some really creative bots lately, for certain! Pretty soon you're going to have a pile of these in your home. I try not to tear apart past robots, but only build new ones. For me, though, building them is most of the fun.

Ken Gracey
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-09-17 00:02
    I'll just call it "cool." Nice robot, can't wait to see what else you do with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • ManetherenManetheren Posts: 117
    edited 2009-09-17 11:04
    where are the cameras going to be located, or where are they located if i missed them.

@Ken I wish I could leave all my little creations together, but the cost of the materials are too much that I have to reuse the main boards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tia'Shar Manetheren
  • Brandon C.Brandon C. Posts: 106
    edited 2009-09-17 12:34
    Hi Steve,

I think I want to make one now. turn.gif Very nice job!
    BTW: where did you get those motors? have a link?

Brandon C.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    No purchase necessary. See back panel for more details.

Tired of the same old robot brains? not enough processing power? Get the Propeller Robot Module now!!

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-09-17 14:16
    RobotMarketplace sells a lot of nice heavy-duty motors, wheels, etc., e.g. the items Steve mentioned in his post: www.robotmarketplace.com/products/NPC-41250.html

Steve -- great platform. Inspiring use of PVC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-09-17 14:24
    I'd keep the name as it is since it fits that robot perfectly. Just make sure to keep a small section of the cooler intact. You might just want it to follow you around and bring you a nice cold beverage (whatever that may be). Nice Project!

Robert
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-09-17 20:52
    Very nice and clean design!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • GeorgeCollinsGeorgeCollins Posts: 132
    edited 2009-09-23 02:28
    That looks really cool and seems to work great. I love when robots use found objects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Robots
  • norris56norris56 Posts: 69
    edited 2009-09-23 13:11
    Thanks everyone for your comments!
    CoolerBot is entering its second phase of development. This includes adding two solar panels to trickle charge the motor and logic batteries. A wireless infrared video camera has been mounted up front on a ServoCity Pan and Tilt assembly. ·High above the cooler chassis is the navigation dome which houses the Parallax GPS, HM55B Compass and Sensirion Temperature/Humidity Sensor. Below is the latest picture and I should have some more video in the next week or so. ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
    1024 x 680 - 179K
    edited 2009-09-23 17:02
    Steve, this CoolerBot almost looks like a family pet in the backyard. The way you're using solar will help him live on his own, too.

- Ken
    edited 2009-09-24 01:28
    One of my goals for this project is to have CoolerBot remain outside for days and hopefully even·weeks at a time. It would normally be running in an simple autonomous mode seeking out the sun to keep its batteries charged. I could then switch it into a remote control telepresence mode and drive it around from the comfort of my home office.

I guess I didn't think of it like that but yes·it would be very much like the family pet in the backyard.·Cool concept!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2009-09-24 23:06
    coolerbot could become a guard dog in the backyard
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-09-29 10:14
    Recyclig at it's best. I also enjoy making robots out of stufff laying around. I got a few of those in the garage. Looks like it could still even keep the beer cold. Robots have to earn their keep in this house. lol

Post Edited (Prettybird) : 9/29/2009 10:27:12 AM GMT
    edited 2009-12-01 20:01
    Here are some new photos of my recently completed CoolerBot. It now has a camouflage paint job, Infrared video camera, Nikon D100 SLR and a Parallax PIR sensor. The Nikon can be triggered remotely or by the PIR sensor.

I’ll post a schematic and source code shortly. It will also be in the next Robot Magazine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
    679 x 1024 - 602K
    680 x 1025 - 621K
    edited 2009-12-01 21:25
    Looks great Steve! I love the camo color scheme.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 12/1/2009 9:30:28 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-12-02 00:31
    It's starting to look more like a MALP from Stargate.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
    edited 2009-12-02 05:48
    Steve, just read about ChessBot in ROBOT. You've been developing these bots at an excessively high rate of output! Maybe you could share some pictures of the Norris Labs workshop?

You don't need any advice from me but I'll give you one piece: don't tear down past robot projects to build new ones. I can replace your BOEs, Prop Boards, etc. just to help you avoid doing that. It would be a shame to have to put CoolerBot out of commission just to get the brain out of him. Contact me offline.

Ken Gracey

Edit: looks like I've written the same thing before . . . several posts ago!
    edited 2009-12-10 23:42
    Ken Gracey said...
    Maybe you could share some pictures of the Norris Labs workshop?

Here are a couple of pictures of "Norris Labs". One is the upstairs office where I do my electronics and software development and the other is deep down in the basement where I do all the heavy mechanical work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
    1024 x 680 - 141K
    1024 x 680 - 183K
    edited 2009-12-11 02:50
    Steve,

I love the Stingray on the jack!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• Tex4uTex4u Posts: 30
    edited 2009-12-19 00:35
    Very Cool Bot!· Good·retasking of a standard household item for the enclosure.· Only rub I see... Not much room left for refreshments!

Good Work.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Of all the things I have lost...

I miss my mind the most.
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2010-01-21 00:48
    Hey all you Steve Norris fans,

Just received the March/April issue of Robot Magazine today and Steve's CoolerBot article is prominently displayed on pages 64 through 69.

Congratulations Steve!

Since it looks like it will be a while before Robot Magazine adds links to your article's hardware/software, could you update your website with the CoolerBot hardware and software?

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!

Post Edited (Tom C) : 1/22/2010 12:37:48 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2010-01-21 22:32
    Tom,

I too noticed the web page for that issue was missing. And I agree that it is a well-written article. I especially liked the section on emergent behavior.· Congrats Steve!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    Check out the new Savage Circuits TV!
    ·
    edited 2010-01-22 05:02
    Congrats Steve! It was a great article. I'm glad you stuck with the CoolerBot name.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2010-01-25 17:23
    Thank you all for your comments!

I have updated my web site with the source code and schematics for CoolerBot. Robot Magazine will also be post the code on their site in the day or so.

www.norrislabs.com/Projects/CoolerBot/index.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2010-01-25 17:40
    Steve,

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

By the way, how is the 912 MHz transreceiver interface at the computer end interfaced to the PC? Is it similar to the RoboCam web server interface?

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!

Post Edited (Tom C) : 1/26/2010 12:14:39 AM GMT
    edited 2010-01-26 14:48
    Here is the schematic and a picture of my PC (RS-232) to 912MHz interface box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
    3507 x 2550 - 276K
    2048 x 1360 - 258K
  • SB316SB316 Posts: 33
    edited 2010-01-29 20:41
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the name Coolerbot. It's easy to say, and it encompasses all of what the robot is.

P.S. I was just reading the Robot Magazine article on the Coolerbot. What a coincidence!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    SB 3:16
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    edited 2010-03-01 15:32
    Hi,

I have another unsolicited suggestion. Because the small surface area you have to work with, you might want to check into monocrystalline solar panels instead of amorphous. They provide up to 15% efficiency of soler to electrical conversion, whereas the amorphous like you are using top out at around 6% efficient.

Just putting in my 10 bits,
    Doug
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    How did I miss this thread? Oh, 2010, just after our twins were born. I was a sleep-deprived zombie.

Wow, amazing bots all, Steve! Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto!