Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Keychain DVR - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Keychain DVR

1235»

Comments

• Normandy5Normandy5 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-11-04 01:01
    re: 30 fps

My #1 camera recorded 25 fps in the AVI file, but about 50% of the frames were duplicates.

My New #3 camera does record an AVI file at more than 30fps, but about 7.5% of the frames are duplicates. The AVI frame rate is not a standard rates of 30.0 or 29.97.
    Goto chucklohr.com/808 and click on "My New #3 Camera".

I have 7 AVI files from camera #3. Per VirtualDub here are the AVI file frame rates (I have never seen such variety): 30.856, 30.941, 30.965, 30.965, 30.955, 30.949 and 30.999.

I used VirtualDub to step through a video and found a duplicate frame about every 13th frame on average. This might be dependent on video content. More research needed.
  • RonaldfRonaldf Posts: 5
    edited 2009-11-04 01:06
    OPTIMUSPRIME said...
    i have one 8gb cam...
    My windows 7 doesnt detect the cam, says that "doesnt have drivers for device".
    Anyone have drivers for use the cam?
    i tried reset but not work...

thanks...
    I'm not sure if anyone has been able to use these as web cams. Normally the videos and pictures are transfered to the computer as if it was a flash drive. I'm still on XP.....yeah.gif
    edited 2009-11-04 01:56
    Comparison of an 808 key chain camera to a Panasonic TZ5 set to 640 x 480. The scenes were shot simultaneously with the cameras side by side. They were sync’d in Vegas 7.0 and alternated between scenes. The date-time stamped scenes are from the $15 key chain cam. It is recorded to a 8GB micro SDHC card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJPER_IVlk
  • NitrochargedNitrocharged Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-04 02:00
    Does anyone know the procedure for getting into the system files for the good cam? The 15fps one - I held the on button down for around 10 seconds while connecting the USB cable. The new one (30fps) doesn't do it. I'm hoping to look at the .bin file and see how the time off/on command is set up. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Absolute0Absolute0 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-05 16:29
    I purchased two of the keychain cameras off ebay, one was the cheap 25fps (upsampled from 12.5fps) and the other was the 720x480@30fps cameras that requires an external micro SD memory cards. The good quality camera was purchased from "myzone50" from ebay for around $20USD and has been giving me some battery problems that I want to see if anyone else has encountered.

The camera is able to record video without any problems as long as it is only for a few minutes at a time, however there seem to be battery problems with the device. I have charged the camera for well over 3 hours then attempted to record as long as possible. After 25 minutes of recording, I pressed the top button to stop recording, but it seems the battery is dead as none of the lights are flashing. When plugging into a computer, there was one video file created, that contains 0 bytes and cannot be played. The problems that I am encountering are:
    1. Battery life is much less than expected (should be at least 50 minutes and I have only been successful in recording a 10 minute video)
    2. If the battery dies in the middle of a recording session, the video file is not saved in time

I have owned several 'spy' camera devices and none of them have experienced the #2 problem I have listed above.

If this is a problem with the battery itself, then I would consider removing the good battery from the 12.5 fps poor quality camera and soldering it into the good quality 30 fps camera. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Thanks.
  • rexxrexx Posts: 3
    edited 2009-11-05 19:41
    Absolute0, I have the exact same model as yours with the yellow time stamp at the bottom right. The maximum I have gotten successfully was 20 mins. It seems any longer than that the battery goes flat and like you have said it saves as 0 bytes but if you notice the space is taken up and there is no way to retrieve the used memory except reformatting it. On my 12.5fps cam it would still save it before shutting off by itself.

I wonder if there's a config file that could be tweaked to remedy this.
    edited 2009-11-05 19:53
    Is there anywhere selling a higher capacity battery which i could solder on?
  • Absolute0Absolute0 Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-05 22:16
    rexx said...
    Is there anywhere selling a higher capacity battery which i could solder on?

Any 3.7V LiPo battery should work with the device, however anything larger than 280mAh would not fit inside the small clam shell design. You could get crafty and build an external battery supply, then the sky is the limit in terms of battery life. I have seen rigs where someone used 3x 1.2V NiMh batteries on this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115052 (posts #193 & #432 have images of the battery rigs). You should be able to find these batteries from a variety of suppliers or ebay as long as they ship to your country.
    edited 2009-11-06 06:08
    Thanks! I'll move over since its more active there.
  • MichelBMichelB Posts: 154
    edited 2009-11-06 10:01
    Can you post a picture of the cam used. Thank you.
    randall huston said...

Here is a video from mine that was flown yesterday.

http://www.vimeo.com/7090142
    edited 2009-11-06 17:58
    I just spent some time stepping through my key chain clip with VirtualDub. It appears that the 720 x 480 micro SD slot models add duplicate frames when a frame is dropped. I deleted the duplicated frames from the clip and the video still was not smooth. A dropped frame is a lost frame. The only way to make the video smooth would be to replace the duplicate frame with one that was morphed using the non duplicated frames on both sides of the duplicate. If several frames were dropped and duplicated, the same number of morphed frames, stepped equally, would have to be inserted. Too much work to do manually. Not worth the effort on video shot with a $16 - $20 micro camera. If you need high quality video, there are more expensive options. The majority of us were drawn to these cameras to use on RC models. For the price these cameras do an excellent job. <!-- / message -->
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-11-06 21:15
    Ok....so I'm always late to the game.

Is anyone here selling these still?

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Are you addicted to technology or Micro-controllers..... then checkout the forums at Savage Circuits. Learn to build your own Gizmos!
    edited 2009-11-06 23:08
    REMOVING THE DATE TIME STAMP (WELL ... SORT OF)

VirtualDub and Logoaway do a pretty good job of removing that annoying date time stamp in the video lower right corner of my 720x480 camera.
    Actually it does a smart blur, but it is very effective.
    I posted an example on YouTube. Fifteen seconds with the time stamp, and fifteen seconds without.

Logoaway is a plugin for VirtualDub. The Logoaway properties are in the YouTube comments. You can adjust the Logoaway properties if your video date time stamp is in a different place or size.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgw7SNooD8w

I will be updating chucklohr.com/808 with this information.

-- Chuck

Post Edited (Normandy5) : 11/7/2009 12:26:43 AM GMT
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-11-07 15:54
    ·Very impressive. Excellent robot size. You do find the neatist stuff. Too bad I have to wait until I finish my solar powered robot first. Need more cells then I thought. The picture is very clear I admit.
  • JbheliosJbhelios Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-10 20:46
    Hi everbody,

I bought a 8 Gb. 15 fps cmos camera last month. But it worked three or four times. Now it is not working. When I connect the camera to the computer via usb, the computer does nothing. Only camera flash light is on. Can you help me?

Thanks everyone in advance.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2009-11-10 21:18
    Press the reset button on the side near the USB port, press a paper clip wire in the small hole and feel it click. Make sure your battery is fully charged, and reformat as FAT32. Hope it helps!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
    edited 2009-11-10 22:13
    Jbhelios said...
    Hi everbody,
    I bought a 8 Gb. 15 fps cmos camera last month. But it worked three or four times. Now it is not working. When I connect the camera to the computer via usb, the computer does nothing. Only camera flash light is on. Can you help me?
    Thanks everyone in advance.

My #1 8GB camera died, and many other people report the same problem. The #2 and #3 cameras don't have this problem. You can try system mode to maybe access some files in the flash.

chucklohr.com/808/#SystemMode.

No solution is known. If possible, return it to the seller for a refund. The #3 camera is much better.

-- Chuck, chucklohr.com
  • JbheliosJbhelios Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-11 21:59
    Dear ERCO and Chuck,

Thank you for your advice.
    Whether the battery is full, have not tested yet.
    However, when I like Chuck said, the computer goes to the state driver installation. But somehow can not find the driver. Wonder "Driver Checker" through a program such as a running back of the camera driver and the possibility of using this driver may be? Have you ever done this kind of experiment?

Thank you very much.

Note: This English is the Google translation. Sorry about it.
    edited 2009-11-12 02:44
    FWIW, the seller of two· bad 8GB DVRs (Cititrading on Ebay) no longer sells them. When I say bad, they had a lower-grade image that was rotated 90 degrees. I also got one from them that wasn't rotated 90 degrees, but the image was still poor. Long story short, they would only refund for the two if I sent them back. Insured shipping was way too expensive, so I just shipped them cheaply and hoped for the best. For two months, they denied receiving them. Finally, the day after I threatened to leave bad feedback (in reality, it was too late to leave ANY feedback) did they say "miraculously, they just arrived, here's your refund". One of the more unscrupulous sellers on Ebay, for sure. I have had marvelous results with 98% of my Ebay and China connections, but not Cititrading. If anyone here has great or poor recommendations about their particular DVR seller, product, and service, feel free to share here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (erco) : 11/12/2009 4:29:57 PM GMT
    edited 2009-11-17 15:17
    I get many emails from people asking what to do about their dead #1 camera. They should test the flash.

I discovered why my #1 type camera failed. Counterfeit flash memory, as reported on this forum (thank you).
    My 8GB camera actually has a 4GB flash chip in it that was reprogrammed to report 8GB.

Link to my comments about this: chucklohr.com/808/#sosfakeflash

Site about counterfeit flash products: sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

-- Chuck, chucklohr.com

Post Edited (Normandy5) : 11/17/2009 3:22:44 PM GMT
  • jules19jules19 Posts: 1
    edited 2010-04-20 08:14
    Hello everyone,

I have a 4GB camera usb watch which worked very well until I created a new folder in the usb·and named it 'Audio'. Since then the unit does not function and I have thus far tried everything to get it working without luck.

In general,when the power button is pressed, the green indicator light tuns·'on' blinks 3 times and turns off indicating·the unit is recording. Depress the power button·again·for a second or two and the 'red' light goes on and off indicating the recorded file is saved and the unit is completely off.

Now,after I accidentally created this new folder,·when the power button is·pressed, the green indicator light turns on and stays on continously (which means the camera does not work). Resetting the unit only turns off the power. Secondly, when connected to the pc, the·usb unit is not recognized by windows explorer and thefore I cannot delete the extra folder·named 'Audio'.

Can anyone out there help me to resolve this malfunction please?·Do I need to install·the drivers again? I have tried a new·cable and still·the unit is not recognized by windows.

Attached is a picture of the watch.

Thanks·and look forward to your assistance.

Jules
  • HollyMinkowskiHollyMinkowski Posts: 1,398
    edited 2010-04-21 03:35
    I had one of the 4gb cams around my neck on a string
    and tucked into my top. All of the sudden I noticed something was HOT!

The silly thing's battery had overheated and nearly burned me.

My friend almost drove off the road, she thought I was having
    some sort of seizure or something smile.gif

That particular cam has not worked since, but I will remove its
    now warped case and try soldering in another battery to see
    what happens.

I no longer tuck one of these cams into my top, I keep it
    outside dangling in the air smile.gif
    edited 2010-04-21 17:45
    Don't tell VIRAND !

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-04-21 17:47
    Oh No! The Flash virus got into the cams! We are all doomed!
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2010-04-21 18:19
    HollyMinkowski said...
    I had one of the 4gb cams around my neck on a string
    and tucked into my top
    . All of the sudden I noticed something was HOT!

Was it switched on at the time? Video would have been interesting roll.gif