Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Reader Software (VB.NET) - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

RFID Reader Software (VB.NET)

Comments

• YosufYosuf Posts: 17
    edited 2009-11-02 10:05
    Hi,

I have the RFID reader with FTDI serial converter #28340 which I would like to use for identifying different tags.

My question is:
    The Board should respond with some kinda indentification when serial communication is available. I have done the same with an Arduno Board which has an Atmel chip on and it works perfect. It responds with A string like "IamArduino". With the help of that identification, the program then decides whether to attach to board or search for Arduino on the next available port.

All tips are appreciated.
    br,
    Yosuf
  • YosufYosuf Posts: 17
    edited 2009-11-09 11:43
  • rob123rob123 Posts: 1
    edited 2009-11-25 19:27
    I would like to use the rfid reader and integrate it to the 68hc12 dragon board microcontroller so that we can display the ID on the LCD while running some other tasks. Does any one know how we would integrate the two or is there a way to convert this to assembly? Thank you.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-11-25 19:48
    Hello,

Using the Serial RFID Reader this should be pretty straight forward. The RFID Reader requires 5VDC and you can control the enable line via any I/O pin on your MCU. The serial output is common on almost every MCU so that should be easy as well. The Reader uses 2400bps, N, 8, 1. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • wabsawabsa Posts: 1
    edited 2009-12-11 02:50
    Hi your application is nice.. but it doesn't work for me. here's my RFID details...

Texas Instruments
    RFID reader
    Standard - ISO 15693
    Operating Frequency - 13.56 MHz
    Transmission - ASK, FSK
    Minimum Read Distance - 5cm
    Communication - Serial RS 232
    Digital I/O (TTL) - 2 minimum
    Operating Voltage - 9Volts

RFID card
    Standard - ISO 15693
    Operating Frequency - 13.56 MHz
    Transmission - ASK, FSK
    Material - PVC
    Outline (Dimension) - 85.6mm x 54mm x 0.76mm(according to ISO7810)
    Color - White
    Operating Temp - -25'C to +50'C
    Simultaneous Tag Identification Capable

can you give any idea how to make it work in my RFID device.

THanks
    edited 2009-12-11 17:50
    Hello,

This application is designed to work with the RFID Reader (USB and Serial) designed by Parallax Inc. and is not intended to work with any other readers. The code is open source so you're welcome to examine the operation and see how it applies to your reader, but as we do not manufacture or sell your reader we cannot offer support for it. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    Check out the new Savage Circuits TV!
    ·
  • Marco LaghiMarco Laghi Posts: 1
    edited 2009-12-16 15:40
    Hi all!
    I recently bought the USB version of this RFID reader.
    It works great!
    Chris... Do you (or someone) have the schematic ot this board?
    Thanks
    Marco
    edited 2009-12-16 17:55
    Marco,

You may have noticed by the silkscreen on the PCB that we did not design that board and as such we do not have the schematic available. Sorry about that.· We usually make schematics available for anything we design in-house.· Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    Check out the new Savage Circuits TV!

Post Edited (Chris Savage (Parallax)) : 12/16/2009 9:55:32 PM GMT
  • Dave ScanlanDave Scanlan Posts: 160
    edited 2009-12-16 19:40
    Hi,

In order to use datetimeoffset, you need to add 3.5 .NET Framework to your system.
    I think Chris Savage has stated this somewhere... Sorry, memory failure.

Dave

http://blogs.msdn.com/bclteam/archive/2007/06/14/datetimeoffset-a-new-datetime-structure-in-net-3-5-justin-van-patten.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··
  • poulipouli Posts: 15
    edited 2010-01-01 21:28
    Hello I have downloaded the olwing ile:

File Attachment :
    RFID Reader Setup.zip 248KB (application/x-zip-compressed)
    This file has been downloaded 1355 time(s).

It is first time that I used the RFID so basically I want to see if it works.
    I have plugged the RFID reader at the USB port and Windows (xp) installed the required drivers.
    After installing and running the program I am not able to open the port for the RFID.
    More specifically I receive "Error opening COM port".

Could someone please give me some pointers ?

Thank you in advance,
    Pouli
  • UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,530
    edited 2010-01-02 02:58
    Hi Pouli , something really simple to try to begin with would be to unplug the USB to your RFID reader , start the RFID Visual Basic application and in the COMM port drop down list make a note of the available ports. Close the VB application and plug in the RFID USB connector , now restart the application . The COMM port drop down list should contain·a COMM port that wasn't listed previously, scroll down and highlite it then click the·"Open Port" button·.

If the extra port does not appear or you still get the error message post back .

Jeff T.
    edited 2010-01-02 21:11
    Unsoundcode said...
    Hi Pouli , something really simple to try to begin with would be to unplug the USB to your RFID reader , start the RFID Visual Basic application and in the COMM port drop down list make a note of the available ports. Close the VB application and plug in the RFID USB connector , now restart the application . The COMM port drop down list should contain a COMM port that wasn't listed previously, scroll down and highlite it then click the "Open Port" button .

If the extra port does not appear or you still get the error message post back .

Jeff T.

Hi Jeff,

thank you for answering.
    I have followed your steps and the error message is the same.
    Just for your information the com port is 12.
    What I should do next ?

Regards,
    Pouli
    edited 2010-01-03 02:25
    Hi , the last thing that I can suggest is to reinstall the FTDI VCP drivers ( http://www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx·) making sure not to connect the hardware until after the drivers have installed , and check out the trouble shooting doc ( http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/ftdi/USBDriverTroubleshooting-V1.0.pdf·).

If that fails try calling Parallax tech support.

Jeff T.
    edited 2010-01-03 16:17
    Unsoundcode said...
    Hi , the last thing that I can suggest is to reinstall the FTDI VCP drivers ( http://www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx ) making sure not to connect the hardware until after the drivers have installed , and check out the trouble shooting doc ( http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/ftdi/USBDriverTroubleshooting-V1.0.pdf ).

If that fails try calling Parallax tech support.

Jeff T.

Thank you Jeff,

I have already sent an email to the tech department.
    I hope they will answer soon.

Regards,
    Pouli
  • WeltevredenWeltevreden Posts: 1
    edited 2010-01-26 21:08
    Hi All,

I'm new to all of this... I recently got the #28340 RFID Card Reader USB. I installed the usb drivers and have .net 3.5 sp1, VB2008 installed. But when trying to run Setup.exe from the RFID Reader Setup, I get the error message: Cannot run application. Please contact the supplier of the program (roughly translated; my error message is in dutch).

What am I doing wrong?

Errordetails:

FOUTDETAILS
    ·De volgende fouten zijn aangetroffen bij deze bewerking.
    ·* [noparse][[/noparse]26-1-2010 22:12:39] System.ArgumentException
    ··- De waarde valt niet binnen het verwachte bereik.
    ··- Bron: mscorlib
    ··- Stack-tracering:
    ···bij System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
    ···bij System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String[noparse]/noparse manifestPaths)
    ···bij System.Deployment.Application.ActivationDescription.ToActivationContext()
    ···bij System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
    ···bij System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
    ···bij System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
    ···bij System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

Post Edited (Weltevreden) : 1/26/2010 9:35:12 PM GMT
  • Hadi HTHadi HT Posts: 1
    edited 2010-02-10 09:58
    Hai guys...

I am new to this, so please guide me. Is there anywhere that I can take or import the data from the RFID log to MS Excel or MS Access?

Thank in advance

Hadi HT
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2010-06-03 14:30
    Hello
    ·
    i have an issue with my rfid reader using the very first vb program in the forum, when i start the application i can only scan a card once then the card will not scan until i unplug the bs2 board and the usb from the computer and wait a few hours. Can anyone help me understand why i would get this issue
    ·
    Thanks
    ·
    edited 2010-06-04 15:08
    Chris,

If you start reading the messages following the initial post you will see others had some similar issues and there were other version of the code uploaded as well as other suggestions made. Please exhaust these options, and then if you're still having an issue follow up here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • obie1kanobeobie1kanobe Posts: 1
    edited 2010-07-03 14:25
    I got the sample code, CG-RFID_12_06_src.zip, in the Computer Guy's message of 6/12/08 working with a few issues. I used VB 2008 Express.

1. I had the password problem re: RFID Reader_TemporaryKey.pfx
    The solution is in Unsoundcode's message of 6/5/08
    Once I fixed that the software was up and running.

2. The connection test program, RFID_Term.zip, in Unsoundcode's message of 9/20/09 is helpful

3. The software would work when the list was empty at startup but failed when started with data already in the list. When a tag was scanned that was already in the list, the software attempted to re-add it--resulting in an error re: the key already existed.

I tracked the problem to the comparison failing in updateTextBox() between the saved Tag # and the newly scanned Tag #. It seemed to be partly due to a trailing blank and partly due to a plain string not equaling a string object. I added/modified the lines marked with * below and got it to work. I haven't written code in a long time and have never used VB before so I broke statements apart to make the code easier to read and debug.

Public Sub updateTextBox()
    data = data + myComPort.ReadExisting()
    If Len(data) = 12 Then
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim newdata As Boolean = True
    * Dim stringfix As String
    * Dim teststring1 As String
    * Dim teststring2 As String
    For i = 0 To (grid.Rows.Count - 1)
    * stringfix = grid.Rows.Item(i).Cells(0).Value
    * teststring1 = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Mid(stringfix, 1, 10)
    * teststring2 = Microsoft.VisualBasic.Mid(data, 2, 10)
    * If teststring1 = teststring2 Then
    newdata = False
    Exit For
    Else
    newdata = True
    End If

4. Then I ran into a problem when sorting columns by clicking the column header. I got an error message when some of the cells had data and some didn't. The message was to the effect that the object must implement iComparable.

I solved this by inserting a space character " " into the first and last name columns at the time the Tag is inserted. That way everything being sorted is a string even if you haven't entered a name yet. (I think it was line 126 in the downloaded version.)

I modified the code and the database file to play with tracking books, and it seems to be working reliably.
  • mrzazmrzaz Posts: 1
    edited 2010-08-20 10:56
    Is there anyone who has managed to get the hold of a working version
    of the attachments on this forum. Seems to be truncated to 64k which
    corrupts the zipfiles bigger than 64k.

I especially need the following from "computer guy" but all i of interest.

CG RFID program.zip
    CG-RFID_code.zip

CG-RFID_12-06.zip
    CG-RFID_12-06_src.zip

If you have the above or anything else from this thread, please
    PM me outside this thread.

Best regards
    Dan Lundqvist
    Stockholm, Sweden
  • larry_UIlarry_UI Posts: 1
    edited 2010-08-27 09:47
    Hi there guys,

I have to use RFID Reader in a C sharp project and I have downloaded the source code in VB.

Sadly I was not able to open it as looks like the zip file is corrupted....

Is it possible have that zip please?

my email is nicolacogotti@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance for your help and for your great job

Regards

Larry
    edited 2010-09-06 18:49
    Hi , the Parallax RFID product page provides the following link to the downloads mentioned in the previous two posts. I did not do the DL but the files look to be complete.

http://forums.parallaxinc.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=269675

Jeff T.
  • mcmc2002mcmc2002 Posts: 3
    edited 2011-01-07 06:10
    Hi sir jeff (Unsoundcode)! does this also work for Intel UHF reader? this is very helpful in my project. is it possible to post your VB code for this application so that I can learn how you built yours? this is a very good reference. thank you very much.
    edited 2011-01-07 15:37
    Hi mcmc2002 , I don't believe this application is any good for the reader that you have and with it being a non Parallax product I doubt if anyone on this forum will be able to help.

As for programming with Visual Studio you might want to check out the following thread , it might not help with your current project but if you have an interest in VB to micro serial comms there are some useful pointers.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?96973-VB-Express-to-Stamp-Template

Jeff T.
    edited 2011-01-07 15:51
    Thanks Sir Jeff!

Is it also possible to have your email address so that I can also email some of my queries. Thanks.
    edited 2011-01-07 16:18
    Hi mcmc2002 , I don't believe this application is any good for the reader that you have and with it being a non Parallax product I doubt if anyone on this forum will be able to help.

As for programming with Visual Studio you might want to check out the following thread , it might not help with your current project but if you have an interest in VB to micro serial comms there are some useful pointers.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?96973-VB-Express-to-Stamp-Template

Jeff T.

Sir,

In examining your VB code, in which aspect/part should I look into so that I may be able to modify it for my reader.

Thank you very much.
  • tmart2007tmart2007 Posts: 7
    edited 2011-01-26 09:21
    #1) I use the parallax basic stamp module to read the RFID - no components required -- just connect to power on Basic Stamp Board, and pin 0 to enable and pin 1 to sout

#2) It takes very little Basic stamp code to read the RFID card

#3) The read in is then "echoed" by the basic stamp through and to the rs232 port of the Basic stamp through a debug statement.

#4) VB then read that info into the VB 5 program.

all code can be provided for the Basic Stamp and VB 5
    tmart2007@GMail.com - ted
    ====
    what is interesting is that you can send code with the debug statement that tells it whether it is door A or B
    for instance:

Enable pin 0
    RX pin 1
    RT pin 2

sData Var Byte

T9600 Con 396

'
    # SELECT $STAMP
    #CASE BS2, BS2E, BS2PE
    T2400 CON 396
    #CASE BS2SX, BS2P
    T2400 CON 1021
    #CASE BS2PX
    T9600 CON 396
    #ENDSELECT

buf Var Byte(10) 'reading ten digits
    tagNum var Nib
    idx Var Byte

'
    Reset:
    HIGH Enable

Main:
    LOW Enable
    Serin RX T2400, [WAIT($0A), STR buf\10]
    HIGH Enable

Display _Tag:

DEBUG "Door A", CR

For idx=0 to 9
    DEBUG buf(idx)
    Next

DEBUG CR

PAUSE 500

GOTO Main

=========

this code sends the tag info read to the buffer and will put it on the screen of the Basic Stamp program

====
    Just need to parse it in VB and take out what you want and the 10 digits or part of the 10 digits
    I only use the last three digits of the RFID tag with about 700 tags

====

I then use a VB routine in the visual basic program to set off a relay for door A or B. The relay is set off through the parallel port to an 8 relay board controlled by the parallel port. A or B is parsed out to tell me which door to set off the relay for.

thanks
    ted
  • tmart2007tmart2007 Posts: 7
    edited 2011-01-26 09:56
    #1) I use the parallax basic stamp module to read the RFID - no components required -- just connect to power on Basic Stamp Board, and pin 0 to enable and pin 1 to sout

#2) It takes very little Basic stamp code to read the RFID card

#3) The read in is then "echoed" by the basic stamp through and to the rs232 port of the Basic stamp through a debug statement.

#4) VB then read that info into the VB 5 program.

all code can be provided for the Basic Stamp and VB 5
    tmart2007@GMail.com - ted
    ====
    what is interesting is that you can send code with the debug statement that tells it whether it is door A or B
    for instance:

Enable pin 0
    RX pin 1
    RT pin 2

sData Var Byte

T9600 Con 396

'
    # SELECT $STAMP
    #CASE BS2, BS2E, BS2PE
    T2400 CON 396
    #CASE BS2SX, BS2P
    T2400 CON 1021
    #CASE BS2PX
    T9600 CON 396
    #ENDSELECT

buf Var Byte(10) 'reading ten digits
    tagNum var Nib
    idx Var Byte

'
    Reset:
    HIGH Enable

Main:
    LOW Enable
    Serin RX T2400, [WAIT($0A), STR buf\10]
    HIGH Enable

Display _Tag:

DEBUG "Door A", CR

For idx=0 to 9
    DEBUG buf(idx)
    Next

DEBUG CR

PAUSE 500

GOTO Main

=========

this code sends the tag info read to the buffer and will put it on the screen of the Basic Stamp program

====
    Just need to parse it in VB and take out what you want and the 10 digits or part of the 10 digits
    I only use the last three digits of the RFID tag with about 700 tags

====

I then use a VB routine in the visual basic program to set off a relay for door A or B. The relay is set off through the parallel port to an 8 relay board controlled by the parallel port. A or B is parsed out to tell me which door to set off the relay for.

thanks
    ted

=====
  • dnamixerdnamixer Posts: 1
    edited 2012-01-08 01:24
    Hai Chris,

Im doing my final year project entitled classroom access using smartcard system
    where the lecturer use their ID to open the classroom instead of using the room key.
    I am having difficulties in connecting my RFID reader with visual basic 2005. I am using
    USB interface RFID reader.. Could you please help in this coding Chris. Below are the details
    of the RFID reader I am using. Thank you..

Mifare Card Reader
    Model: DG608AU
    Interface: USB
    S/N: DG10062521
  • rafizirafizi Posts: 1
    edited 2012-06-20 03:47
    Hello everyone.. I read through all of your older post. I'm trying to understand how the program is working. When i try to operate the VB program that post by chris, its really working. After i scan the RFID tag into the reader it automatically show the ID number of the tag. But i have a problem with the database part. Can anyone here help me how to add the database into this program. i mean, how to call the database after we scan the RFID tag into the reader.