Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RFID Reader Software (VB.NET) - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

RFID Reader Software (VB.NET)

Comments

• UnsoundcodeUnsoundcode Posts: 1,530
    edited 2009-03-14 14:39
    @rw , when the enable disable LED starts to flash do the·radio buttons·(enable/disable) of the software app·toggle also. If this were the case it would indicate some kind of interference on the USB line or the reader. Ideally you would need to eliminate the interference if that is what it turned out to be.You could add a line to the source that looked for the header of the tag data which would be a further step to secure the data and depending on what frequency the product passes the tag reader you could possibly leave the reader enabled all the time.

@firdaus , the RFID reader can't display tag data in Notepad without some kind of software. If you have the serial version of the reader you can use a Stamp to display the data in the debug terminal·using the code from the product page and then copy and paste the data into Notepad.

If you have the USB version of the reader you will need some software that can communicate via a USB virtual serial port (such as the software at the top of this thread) and again copy and paste to Notepad.

Jeff T.
  • ultimateremedyultimateremedy Posts: 29
    edited 2009-03-16 18:47
    Hi all

Is there any way i can connect my RIFD(USB) with BS2? how i can connect it with BS2 as i want to operate(perform) a servo movement on right RIFD given.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    An hour's contemplation is better than a year's adoration.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-16 18:59
    To do that you would need the RFID Reader Serial rather than the RFID Reader USB. The USB version is designed for PC use only. The serial version can be found at the following link. Take care.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/RFID/List/1/ProductID/114/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • vituvitu Posts: 1
    edited 2009-03-21 21:00
    Hi!
    About connecting the RFID reader to the BS2, would it be possible with an USB/serial adapter?
    edited 2009-03-24 18:12
    No, this will not work. For the BS2 you must use the Serial RFID Reader. The USB version will not work, except on a PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • LibadLibad Posts: 8
    edited 2009-03-25 21:46
    Hi I keep locking v the serial port on my computer when I scan a G using serial rxif reader I came up with this code on my own I know why it locks just not see how to fix it thanks

I use serialport1.open
    Serialport1.readexsisting.tostring
    Textbox1.text=serialport1.readexsisting.tostring
    Serialport1.close
  • Please Help MePlease Help Me Posts: 1
    edited 2009-03-31 03:29
    Hello everyone
    ·
    Can anyone please explain how do the first and the second schematics from RS-232(PC) to Parallax inc. RFID Reader Module works? I don't understand how Q1 and Q2 works, thanks in advance
    ·
    Thanks
  • rwrw Posts: 6
    edited 2009-04-08 06:42
    i managed to solve the problem with the led flashing red/green all the time...

The bad guy in this drama was the load on the pc using the readers so i just added a line to raise the processpriority of the application and it works alot better.

just add :
    Process.GetCurrentProcess.PriorityClass = ProcessPriorityClass.High

in form_load event
    edited 2009-04-08 14:24
    Thats good feedback rw and food for thought. Glad you resolved the issue.

Jeff T.
  • VGVG Posts: 32
    edited 2009-04-17 04:28
    Above rw's postings:· process is·defined in System.Diagnostics object. So add

using
    System.Diagnostics;

in the beginning of form_load (or <yourform>_load) event.

rw, how did you find that the the RFID is not working fine. I am having the same problems as you had. i.e. the program launches fine.·RFID reader·started after toggling a few red and green blinks.The port is detected and opened fine. After that nothing happens when I swipe the rfid tag. The green LED is always on.· Is this the same problem you saw?

Venkata.

• nhuthanhnhuthanh Posts: 1
    edited 2009-05-28 08:36
    hi Jeff T
    please send me source code.(d_nhuthanh@yahoo.com)
    thanks.
    NhuThanh
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-06-12 06:45
    nhuthanh said...
    hi Jeff T
    please send me source code.(d_nhuthanh@yahoo.com)
    thanks.
    NhuThanh

brad@srv:~$ tar -ac /usr/src/linux | mimencode | mail -s "you asked for some source code?" d_nhuthanh@yahoo.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Eccles : How do I open the door?
    Bluebottle : You turn the knob on your side
    Eccles : I haven't got a knob on my side!
    edited 2009-06-12 14:19
    BradC said...
    brad@srv:~$ tar -ac /usr/src/linux | mimencode | mail -s "you asked for some source code?" d_nhuthanh@yahoo.com
    It was sent and an aknowledgement received.

Jeff T.
  • ianpogiianpogi Posts: 1
    edited 2009-08-26 05:51
    Hi, does anyone has a VB6 version of this software?
  • DonaldDonald Posts: 3
    edited 2009-08-27 13:52
    Chris,

What software above?· Do you mean the software attached to your original message?

So, if I use the program you posted and the FTDI USB driver I won't have to change the code for a USB RFID reader?

Don
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    A USB Cable (A to Mini-B) is required for connection to the PC and the software above is recommended. I hope this helps. Take care.

edited 2009-08-27 16:22
    Hello,

That is correct…the software in the message you quoted. While that was what we provided, other forum members have provided much better programs. Mine was meant to be very basic, but functional to display tags. It is worth having a look at this thread for other code as well if it is something you’re interested in. In all fairness, some of the contributors are better VB programmers than myself on the current versions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
    edited 2009-08-28 11:59
    The original software was for the serial board.· I take it that with the FDTI USB drivers it will work with a USB board?
    edited 2009-08-28 15:26
    Correct...to the PC there is no difference...it just needs to know the COM port. The USB board is assigned a COM port by the PC ocne the drivers have been installed. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • ianpogi5ianpogi5 Posts: 1
    edited 2009-08-30 15:29
    Hi, i'm new here! i'm working on an rfid project and i would like the parallax rfid reader (serial type) be connected via blue tooth. how can i use the Easy Bluetooth module to interface with this reader? can I just connect the Trs and Rxs and provide power supply? can any one provide me a schematic? thanks...
    edited 2009-08-30 17:10
    I may be a bit ignorant about this stuff but I have not seen any blue tooth devices that connect to the serial port.· Only the USB port.· So I think you would need the USB RFID reader.

ianpogi5 said...
    Hi, i'm new here! i'm working on an rfid project and i would like the parallax rfid reader (serial type) be connected via blue tooth. how can i use the Easy Bluetooth module to interface with this reader? can I just connect the Trs and Rxs and provide power supply? can any one provide me a schematic? thanks...
  • EggtoothEggtooth Posts: 4
    edited 2009-09-20 02:48
    Hi, I just received the RFID sampler USB version from Parallax. I have downloaded the USB drivers and Chris's code. When I ran the program, the window opened, i selected the COM port and enabled the unit but the unit did not read. I then downloaded the SW from Unsoundcode. When this ran, the window opened, i selected the COM port and enabled the unit. The unit read one tag and would not read another. The strange thing is that it looks like the reader is reading (led changing color) but no data showing up in the window. Am I doing something wrong?
    edited 2009-09-20 06:03
    Well, the software uses the .NET framework, so which version of Windows do you have, and do you have all the updates for the .NET framework installed?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2009-09-20 12:23
    I am using Windows XP with SP2. I have all of their automatic updates. Is there another place on the MS website to download .NET updates?
    edited 2009-09-20 12:29
    I just examined my SW. I am using .NET 3.5 with SP1.
    edited 2009-09-21 03:09
    Hi , hard to say whats happening just yet. A quick test is to try the RFID reader with a terminal application and just keep the RFID's enable low while you swipe a few tags.

Every tag should return a 12 character string in this test.

If you don't have a terminal app handy you might want to try this VB app I put together for this test.

Install the software , run and open the relevant port. Toggle DTR until the red LED is on (RFID enabled). Then see if anything happens when you swipe a tag .

Let us know what happens with both the reader and the terminal.

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-09-21 17:00
    The terminal program test is a good idea. I myself used Hyperterminal during testing, though I later used the BASIC Stamp Editor DEBUG window since you could change the status of the DTR line in real time. Of course, now we have the Parallax Serial Terminal which could accomplish the same thing and it is free. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
    edited 2009-09-21 22:16
    Unsoundcode,
    Thanks! I downloaded the Term SW and it worked fine. Read all of the tags. I have a suspicion that maybe something got hosed in the communication between the reader and the DB in the original post. Just a quick question, when I download the VB express, it asked if I also wanted to download the SQL SW, which I did. Was there anything else that I needed to run your original SW?
    edited 2009-09-21 22:30
    Hi , the VB database is just an example and that's why I posted the link to the MS video link.

I think if you take Chris Savage's RFID software source·from the first post in this thread and follow the MS video series on how to create a database then you will end up with something a lot better than what I posted.

Looks like you have all the right software.

Glad you verified the operation of your USB RFID reader.

Jeff T.
    edited 2009-09-22 14:45
    It is nice to see that there’s a decent base for help even with interfacing VB to our products. When I finally got Visual Studio 2005 I was not prepared for all the changes made since VB6 or worse, the version I had used even longer, VB3. If not for the support of some of the members on these forums (including Jeff) the RFID Software would likely not be there. Jeff and at least two others have inspired me to continue to write VB samples when I can in the hopes that, as time permits we can get more examples out there to our users. If you come up with something unique and you can share it (non-proprietary), you can always share it with others here and I’m sure they’ll appreciate every last example they can get.

@Jeff – don’t sell yourself short. You may have followed a tutorial, but you got results and were the first to do it, inspiring several others to customize your results.

Take care all.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    ·
  • no nothingno nothing Posts: 1
    edited 2009-09-29 16:57
    i just bought the whole set of rfid reader n also the tags..but i just know how to connect rfid reader with the pc using rs232..i've to use vb.net to show the details in the tags when tag touch the rfid reader.that tags already have their own serial no.so how i'm going to use the number at the tag in the vb.net and tell details of the tags..such as i want to set that the tag has details of 1 car.. if the tag touch the rfid reader..then at the vb.net will show name of the owner,what ype of car and so on..can somebody give me example of source code using vb.net..??