While playing with my Dogm-LCD-Display and the driver DeSilva made for it, I managed to find a cool way to scale down the internal rom font to a reasonable size.
This could also be interesting for other·
people who need smaller fonts·
and need to save memory -·
and maybe even for Parallax. (the Font for Prop2 could probably be further optimized for good scalability...) - so I thought I'll share·
this in an extra-thread not in the dogm-workshop.
Scaling down the rom-font is no big deal you may say, just skip every other line and column or use every third. But if you just do that,·
doesn't look very readable.
I found out that it looks best if you use lines 1,4,6,9,11,14,17,20,22,25,27,28,31
Don't ask me why, I just tried it out until it looked best.
With the columns it's slightly more complicated: if you take every third column, starting from the second column you get a nice·
6 x 12 pixel font, if you take every·
other column starting from the second column you get a beautiful bold 8x12 font. - Except some characters that have to be treated differently:
With the normal font characters "kKf*.R€▶◀>:;,t" should start from the third column and for the bold font characters "14IilYZ7VT" should start from the first column.
I know this sounds confusing, but it can all be done in a few lines of spin and really saves a lot of memory if you need it.
I also know, it would have been nicer if I could have·
demonstrated this with the TV_text object, so you could all see the font on TV-screen,·
but implementing it there is far beyond my skills, I'm afraid...
....well here goes another thread that I'm really not sure it's a good idea to start it... I hope someone shares my fascination about this... ;-)
Attached are the spin-files based on deSilva's driver for the dogm-display.