Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Home made PCB using laser engraver? — Parallax Forums

Home made PCB using laser engraver?

JedJed Posts: 107
edited 2008-03-20 02:50 in General Discussion
I have as much access as I want to a 45W CO2 laser engraver. I'm wondering if I could spray a PCB material with something, and then etch off the coating to reveal the copper to acid etch away? Does anyone know of a technique like this or what type of paint would be etch resistant?

Comments

• OzStampOzStamp Posts: 377
    edited 2008-01-28 23:34
    Hi Jed.

You can buy std PCB(bare copper) or solderplated PCB (copper with solder on it) so not sure why you would want to do ?

cheers ron mel oz
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2008-01-28 23:34
    Jed,
    ·
    Interesting concept.... what about this in reverse?·· Copy machine Toner powder when fused with heat·is resistant to echant and can easily be dissolved with Acetone.
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • JedJed Posts: 107
    edited 2008-01-28 23:57
    You mean coat the pcb in toner and use the laser to fuse the toner to the pcb? That's a great idea too! Maybe I'll have to do some experimenting.

Post Edited (Jed) : 1/29/2008 1:13:06 AM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-01-29 00:24
    The toner method has the advantage that you'll be scanning the routed area of the board. This will make it easier to translate from your Gerber files, than if you had to scan everyting but the routed copper. Getting even coverage from the powdered toner will be the hardest part. Maybe some sort of electrostatic application method will work, like they use for powder coating outdoor accessories. Be sure to wear a respirator. Toner particles are extremely fine and might penetrate a simple dust mask. You definitely don't want that stuff in your lungs!

-Phil
    edited 2008-01-29 01:09
    Yes, I had thought about even toner application might be a problem. Actually, I don't think it will work because the laser engraver has a pretty strong air flow over the engraving surface sucking fumes out. I don't think the toner would stay put.
    edited 2008-01-29 03:50
    Perhaps, rather than covering the entire board with toner, you could blow it onto the board as it's being fused and use a vaccum to suck up and recover what doesn't get stuck down.

-Phil
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2008-01-29 05:14
    Jed,

At first I thought something along the lines of stereo lithography might work .... and it could, I just haven't come across the right medium that would work with an IR laser.
    Then I thought about a visit to the dentist where it appeared that IR was used to cure a polymer ... it turns out that it's UV that does most of the work here.

A couple searches into photochemistry specifically with IR turned up several things, but I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at, other than it seemed as though removal/reversal techniques might be a problem.

Then I stumbled on this....

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200012/000020001200A0053245.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dye-sublimation_printer

...Which looks promising, if the right materials are used.

What diameter is your 45Watt energy focal point? ... can you adjust it? ...if so, to what energy density?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-01-29 14:50
    I'm not sure, I'll have to do some digging. It's made for engraving awards, marking wood, promotional items, etc. It's an Epilog, this one to be exact:
    epiloglaser.com/mini24_overview.htm

The print driver has a "DPI" specification of up to 1200 dpi, however I don't think that's the actual resolution of the focal point as I've read before on this machine that it overlaps the "dots" to get a partially higher resolution. The engraving table itself raises and lowers and you can adjust the height manually to get a larger/unfocused dot. I can adjust scanning speed and power on a scale of 0-100% each.

It's funny you mention die-sublimation. I used to have one of those as well. They work by forcing the ink into the sublimation material. Only certain materials will work however as they have to open up (like pores) when heated to let the ink in and then close again once cooled to seal the ink in. I'm not sure how the process would work with copper.
  • ohararpohararp Posts: 24
    edited 2008-02-20 03:37
    Jed,

Funny you should bring this up...I am using black spray paint here with my Epilog Laser.· I am gonna try etching this board with Ferric Chloride and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

laser_mask.JPG

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards, Ryan O'Hara

Check out our $20 SMT Stencils!!!
    www.ohararp.com/Stencils.html
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2008-02-20 16:05
    Jed

Can You give an idea.gif·how one cost

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • terry_bearterry_bear Posts: 84
    edited 2008-02-20 16:07
    This may be a wild idea, or not cost-effective, but here goes...

Use a board with photo-resist; it can be purchased that way or applied by you. Expose and develop the entire board. Remove the resist with the laser. Etch the board...

Regards,

Terry
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-02-20 16:15
    This thread is being moved from the BASIC Stamp Forum to the Sandbox Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-02-21 00:26
    So here are the results after etching with a mixture of HCL and H202.· The image is upside down from the original pciture in this post.· The pcb is super easy to process after etching with a little acetone and a green pad.· There are some things I will change in the pcb design in the future (mainly small traces).

Overall I think the laser and the etching method is a viable option for small one sided pcbs.

laser_pcb.JPG

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards, Ryan O'Hara

Post Edited (ohararp) : 2/22/2008 2:19:54 AM GMT
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2008-02-22 00:43
    Wow.....I go to Philly for a few days....and all the cool stuff happens.

Great idea

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L

Partner/Designer
    Lil Brother LLC (SMT Assembly Services)
  • willy1067willy1067 Posts: 107
    edited 2008-02-23 21:03
    Jeb

With a laser engraver, could you just remove the unwanted copper directly from the board?

I tried engraving on aluminum, but aluminum tranfers heat very well, and I didn't even scrach it.· But would it work on Copper?

·
    edited 2008-02-23 21:31
    Copper transfers heat almost twice as well as aluminum. The only reason it's not often used for heatsinks is that it's so expensive.

-Phil
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2008-02-24 17:12
    I also think it might be worth trying directly removing the copper. 45 watts is a LOT of power if it's focused tightly. I'd use thinly plated raw board to minimize the required laser power. A layer of solder can then be used to buildup any power traces. If the engraver has provisions to use an assist gas, pure oxygen may help. Oxygen is used when cutting steel, it should also work with copper as I think most of copper's oxides are porous. (i.e. just like rust on iron) Be careful not to set the machine on fire though :P Oh yea, copper is highly reflective. Anything that makes the copper less shiny will make it easier to cut.

Spray on resist (paint) that's then selectively blasted off followed by a chemical etching step looks like a simple way to go too.

Marty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2008-02-28 08:59
    I'm kinda late to the thread, but took etching in university art class. Black paint sure seems to work, but may be a bit of overkill.

In art etching, the 'resist medium' for ferric chloride or any other etchants can be one of a variety of coatings and not very thick. Carnuba floor wax might work; also mastic, bitimun tar, rosin, and a lot of other things. The advantage with a tradional resist recipe is that it is usually applied by a a roller or heated and dabbed on with a simple home tool rather than coming out of a spray can and it doesn't dry into a hard thick layer. Often, it can be easily removed and reapplied if it gets scratched in handling or you decide to use the board for another project. Some formulas are for hard coatings and others for soft. About the only thing that won't work well is coatings that require you to heat the whole copper plate before applying. I don't think the expense is very much when compared to black spray paint.

Also, you might use flat black rather than glossy for better results. Glossy coating are generally thicker.

Consider the fact that a black permanent marker is enough to create a film that prevents etching and I think you will begin to understand how insubstantial the film can be. Try an art supplier for etching supplies and try the library's art section for information.

BTW, I really like the approach but I suspect laser etchers are a bit costly for most of us. They might even be using them in mainstream production to eliminate the need to create transparencies as a middle step.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PLEASE CONSIDER the following:

Do you want a quickly operational black box solution or the knowledge included therein?······
    ···················· Tropically,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
    edited 2008-02-28 16:01
    So as much as I would like to be able to oblate the copper my engraving system will not do this.· However, you should checkout http://www.lpkfusa.com/protomat/pl200.htm·for system that can.· Its pretty amazing.· The videos at http://www.lpkfusa.com/video/pl100.wvx·are something to behold.·

I have a counterpart with an LPKF S62 and this product is also amazing but uses traditional tooling bits.· In the future if I use the laser to make circuits I will try flat black spray paint. Otherwise, I generally order my non-solder mask boards from www.barebonespcb.com·.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards, Ryan O'Hara

edited 2008-03-20 02:50
    No, the type of laser I have (CO2) will not touch metal beyond maybe oxidizing it or removing surface coating. My other shop has the higher end model which is 120 watt and even that one will not touch metal. I think a different type of laser is needed. It's good to know that I can create PCBs with my laser though! Thank you ahararp for the leg work!