Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
XBee Antenna — Parallax Forums

XBee Antenna

rwswoffordrwswofford Posts: 2
edited 2010-12-17 14:00 in Accessories
Has anyone repaired or added an External Antenna to an XBee PRO 60mW Wire Antenna (XBP24-AWI-001)? I have a project and have a few of these units and would like to use them for a Prototype that I'm working on.

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-11-28 19:32
    The wire antenna looks like it's a 1/4 wave "whip antenna" for 2400MHz. You could probably substitute any other wire of the same length soldered to the same place on the board. I'd be careful trying to use an external antenna unless you must move the antenna off the xBee board since, at those frequencies, any cable or connector would introduce a significant amount of loss and the xBee is already operating at low power. People do use connectors and antennas with short cables and connectors on them for xBee, Bluetooth, and WiFi, but they still introduce significant losses.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2010-11-28 20:29
    You could also purchase an XBee that comes equipped with an antenna connector.

XBP24-BSIT-004_sml.jpg

Rich H
  • rwswoffordrwswofford Posts: 2
    edited 2010-11-29 10:42
    Thanks,
    I did notice a loss when testing with an external antenna. I will complete my testing as is and if needed I can replace one unit with the appropriate XBee equipped for an external antenna.
  • rocker1446rocker1446 Posts: 1
    edited 2010-12-17 14:00
    The XBeePro modules with wire antennas are calibrated at the factory differently than those with the external connector (rpsma). You will have many signal issues if you try soldering the rpsma connector on an XBee that was shipped as a wire whip.