Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropScope? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PropScope?

2»

Comments

• HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2009-05-01 14:54
    Yes the PropScope's voltage range should suit any project.
    The PropScope has BNC connectors and comes with switchable 1x/10x probes. We're still settling on final voltage ranges, but on the 10x setting at the highest division you'll have more than 60volts. AND, since we're using BNC connectors, you can use probes with whatever attenuation you want, 100x will take the Propscope to the kilovolt level. Unlike competitors, we're using a 10bit ADC, so you'll have plenty of resolution to look at the signal.
    Kudos to the Parallax team for designing the well-thought hardware.
    Hanno
  • BADHABITBADHABIT Posts: 138
    edited 2009-05-04 05:19
    When's the PS Pre-Sale?
  • TheGrueTheGrue Posts: 114
    edited 2009-09-29 03:42
    So are there any updates on the Propscope or is it still just vaporware? I am dying to know the final specs and when I can get one.
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2009-09-29 13:24
    propscope looks to be a great addition to my electronics lab, basically adding to my lil collection of osciliscopes, giving the DSO/LSA ability... gues i just need a faster PC, something with a FSB better than 533MHz. Got $500 worth of newegg picked out for a bit of an O.C.'d screamer of a core2duo 1333FSB / Gigabit mobo / 4GB kit Mushkin XP2 6400 DDR2 / WD Black 640GB SATA 3.0G/s HDDs / 64bit Vista (with cupon for free 7 upgrade)...

My current PC keeps threatening to lock up when i use Viewport [noparse]:([/noparse] Maybe its a USB buffering issue or a setting in viewport for time scaling of the PC sometimes its silky smooth, other times its jittery, jumpy and unresponsive, hopefully the new setup will cure my Viewport blues. Gorgeous soft otherwise.
    Pentium D 805 2.66/533FSB/1M L2 @ 3.04GHz/600FSB
    Mushkin DDR2 533 2x1GB
    ASROCK 4CORE-DUAL-VSTA
    2x Seagate 160GB SATA in mirror RAID
    Coolermaster 500W PSU
    Nvidia 8900Ultra
    LG 22" 1650x1050 Flatron
    Antec P182se case

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Quicker answers in the #propeller chat channel on freenode.net. Don't know squat about IRC? Download Pigin! So easy a caveman could do it...
    http://folding.stanford.edu/ - Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2009-09-29 19:33
    It's definitely coming along.... Maybe David can share some info and maybe even a photo?
    RinksCustoms, I sent you email- would like to solve your blues... My dad runs ViewPort on an ancient 500MHz, 200MB RAM pc... Anything above that should run well. Maybe MS Vista is the issue?
    Hanno

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Download a free trial of ViewPort- the premier visual debugger for the Propeller
    Includes full debugger, simulated instruments, fuzzy logic, and OpenCV for computer vision. Now a Parallax Product!
  • photomankcphotomankc Posts: 943
    edited 2009-09-29 21:45
    Will it be 'coming along' this year [noparse];)[/noparse]

I'm holding out for it but there are some things I am starting to work with where a scope would be darn nice to have so I'm starting to look around a bit. I really would prefer the prop-scope given it would have the LSA built in.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2009-09-30 08:53
    Unless you plan on storing all the samples, for example in such a way that when played back you could
    listen to any radio station, and more, such that digital radios would also receive the playback...

...There are ways of adding samples together , or discarding many of them and stretching the remaining
    ones, and other methods of frequency division so that 40 mhz could input as 10 mhz, and 10 Mhz as 2.5,
    which would look the same on a display as it should, and as it would if a 78 RPM phonograph record were
    played back at 16 RPM, and as a capable scope would show the same thing at 78 RPM as at 16 RPM when
    it is set to the same screenwidth wavelength, except that some ways of frequency division require loss
    of information. It may be so that the best division by 2 cannot be exactly reversed by doubling but is
    the limit of acceptable loss. I'm not sure if it is so, but as far as I know, frequency domain squeezing
    is complex enough that I have not been able to find a continuous way to do it, and common sense says
    it can't be done reversably more than once, but my guess is that the result is something like QAM
    which is reversable but does not look like the original waveform while its in frequency-divided condition.
    Time stretching for frequency division is not a problem because that's what CROscopes do,
    without distorting the waveform,
    and information not displayed during blanking from right to left is just not available to be seen or
    stored, but in this case because the processor can't follow and catch and show all of it.

Summary: Analog scopes do not show every detail of the wavelength, and if a digital one does not
    need to store everything, then it can use time stretching to accurately show the waveform beyond
    the processor's (but not the ADC's) bandwidth by discarding the excess burden of information.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-09-30 11:54
    Is there any chance of using PropScope on a non-Windows platform ?

I'd dearly love to invest in a PropScope but it needs to have an open interface to the PC.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2009-09-30 12:35
    Hanno said...
    It's definitely coming along....
    Hanno

Riiiight........ yeah.gif
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-09-30 13:00
    heater said...
    Is there any chance of using PropScope on a non-Windows platform ?

I'd dearly love to invest in a PropScope but it needs to have an open interface to the PC.

Previously it had been mentioned that the protocol between the Scope and the PC will be fully documented and available when the unit is released.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lt's not particularly silly, is it?
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-09-30 13:11
    Great. Sounds like a job for our local cross-platform Propeller tools guru [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • BADHABITBADHABIT Posts: 138
    edited 2009-09-30 20:13
    Paul Sr.·said...
    Riiiight........ yeah.gif
    lol...any day now!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    BH skull.gif
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2009-09-30 20:54
    heater said...
    Great. Sounds like a job for our local cross-platform Propeller tools guru [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Barring hardware problems, I'd love to write an (unofficial) iPhone application for it. Nice and portable.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-10-01 06:08
    Jay Kickliter said...
    heater said...

Barring hardware problems, I'd love to write an (unofficial) iPhone application for it. Nice and portable.

Does the iPhone behave as a USB host and are there ftdi drivers available for it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lt's not particularly silly, is it?
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2009-10-01 14:24
    BradC said...
    Jay Kickliter said...
    heater said...

Does the iPhone behave as a USB host and are there ftdi drivers available for it?

I doubt there are pulicly
    available FTDI drivers. But it is a USB host. Also it is possible to do straight serial out of the port. I'm not sure if it is TTL. There's a nice opensource graphing framework being developed which is fast enought to do an oscilloscope trace. When Apple announced 3rd party hardware support the first thing I thought was head unit for an oscope/logic analyzer.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-10-01 14:54
    Being an electronics newbie. (I understand the basics and "basic" scope use) I'm waiting for the
    PropScope as my first really adventure into learning "real" scope usage and understanding of identifying
    signals. As such, (without delaying the release) will Parallax provide some "PE-Type" instructions
    for folks (students) like myself?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
  • Hello all! I'm a newbie to this PropScope and Propeller stuff but have been using the BoeBot Basic Stamp for awhile. I will be getting into the Propeller hardware soon and even just got me a Propeller Professional Development Board by pure luck to play with! Even though I have an old Tectonics scope, it is too big for my desk, would eat up a lot of space i'm using. I bought a PropScope and I must say for the features it has and is capable of doing, it works out just fine for the Parallax hardware. And the small size is great for putting the scope on a desk shelf place for a book. It is tiny! Also I like the idea of having my instruments on a monitor or two, you can't beat it. One thing I was wondering about is the plugins option, could you tell me more and point me in a direction to see what that is about? I did notice that somebody mentioned usage of the PropScope with National Instruments or saw it on the web? Just curious since I played with LabView in the past. Oh and the guy with the room problem... I did like you want to do as a computer room for my Mac and Win10 PCs, plus have a place for all my equipment, books and ham gear and it is GREAT! It's my Electronic Experimenter's Cave! Reminded me of where I used to work at before retirement. Close the door to keep kids and noise out! You Can Do It!! See Ya! Barry
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2019-04-10 22:01
    10 years later....
    thread_necromancy_7-me.jpg

The propscope is no longer manufactured and the software for it was abandoned long ago(not opensource), the plugin aspect of it was never developed into anything, by the maker of the original software.

Some people here are trying to redesign the software to make it more opensource.

Check out this thread----> https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/169719/is-it-worth-reviving-the-propscope-opensource-project