Merry Chipmas!

I just had to do it...

Chris Wardell

Nice :smiley:
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2018-12-24 01:49
    Chipmas :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

Arrived minutes ago :smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

Postedit: Just about to go looking for some bumpon feet and then discovered them in the bag. Nice one!

And it's alive! Plugged in USB (PC USB connection), run PST, select ComPort and 115,200baud, type "> "+Ctl-D+enter and I get the P2 monitor string. Type in "100-"+enter and I get a dump of cog $100. That's it! Working!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2018-12-24 02:04
    ctwardell wrote: »
    Merry Chipmas!

I just had to do it...

Chris Wardell

Nice. Did you use the CORDIC to generate sine waves? Did you use the Goertzel? Did you use the DACs?
  • cgracey wrote: »
    Nice. Did you use the CORDIC to generate sine waves? Did you use the Goertzel? Did you use the DACs?

Thanks Chip, nothing so fancy yet. I was just playing with TAQOZ using the PIN, HZ, ms, and MUTE words.

Loaded this code from Peter to facilitate changing clock speed:

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1458952/#Comment_1458952

Note that I had to cut out the portion starting at "\ ' 12-bit analog to digital to analog, 19.5k samples/second" up to the END word to prevent getting an error.

Then used "P2-ES ECO" to set 80Mhz

Then the following:
    : PLAY BEGIN DUP 2 + 56 PIN HZ 57 PIN HZ 30 - ms 56 PIN MUTE 57 PIN MUTE 30 ms ;

That creates a PLAY word that outputs to P2_IO56 and 57. The inputs are duration in ms and frequency in Hz.
    Pin 56 has the frequency bumped by 2 Hz, this creates a nice effect making it sound warmer. Duration is adjusted by 30 ms to allow a 30 ms pause between notes.

Then just a big block of PLAY words:
    400 262 PLAY 400 349 PLAY 200 349 PLAY 200 392 PLAY 200 349 PLAY 200 330 PLAY 400 294 PLAY 400 294 PLAY 400 294 PLAY 400 392 PLAY 200 392 PLAY 200 440 PLAY 200 392 PLAY 200 349 PLAY 400 330 PLAY 400 330 PLAY 400 330 PLAY 400 440 PLAY 200 440 PLAY 200 466 PLAY 200 440 PLAY 200 392 PLAY 400 349 PLAY 400 294 PLAY 200 262 PLAY 200 262 PLAY 400 294 PLAY 400 392 PLAY 400 330 PLAY 800 349 PLAY

P2_IO56 and 57 connected to inputs of a pair of PC speakers through 10k in series with 10nF on each channel.

Simple, but fun.

C.W.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    @ctwardell - Very cool!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    cgracey wrote: »
    We are going to have a bunch of add-on boards arriving right after Christmas which we will build soon. This will give everyone VGA, HDMI, USB, audio, Goertzel, lights, buttons, etc.

Just curious, did you record some numbers from the collection of P2's, as you tested the boards ?

eg get an idea of the spread of RCFAST and RCSLOW frequencies, and maybe Icc at RCFAST and RCSLOW ?
    jmg wrote: »
    cgracey wrote: »
    We are going to have a bunch of add-on boards arriving right after Christmas which we will build soon. This will give everyone VGA, HDMI, USB, audio, Goertzel, lights, buttons, etc.

Just curious, did you record some numbers from the collection of P2's, as you tested the boards ?

eg get an idea of the spread of RCFAST and RCSLOW frequencies, and maybe Icc at RCFAST and RCSLOW ?

I did an exhaustive check of the I/O pins, and they were okay. We had two boards that had one bad pin, each. These will be screened in the future at ON Semi.
  • rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 449
    edited 2018-12-24 04:34
    samuell wrote: »
    Mine is already under way. Since I'm in Portugal, I'll get it in January. Probably it Will be served with an hefty customs charge, but I don't mind.

Same here in Sweden, although the customs charge is for sure.

Merry chipmas everybody :)
  • Hello Everybody,
    I have my P2 Evaluation Board and I got LED 56 to blink using TAQOZ.
    I have included a screenshot to let you know my P2 is ALIVE!!!

HydraHacker

JB%20P2%20Eval%20Board.png
    1366 x 768 - 64K
  • marsman2020marsman2020 Posts: 71
    edited 2018-12-24 21:01
    My board arrive as well. I've got TAQOZ up.

Edit: PNut working as well. I think the fastspin loader settings need some tweaks for the actual ES board.
    The ES (engineering samples) are only just getting out to the developers. It will take a while for tools to get updated/written. That is what ES is all about.
  • Okay, I got my P2-ES board. What is the magic incantation to get into TAQOS? I looked in the data sheet but couldn't find it.
    I posted this in the P2 for dummies thread
    "> " +esc +cr
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    I posted this in the P2 for dummies thread
    "> " +esc +cr
    Thanks! Looks like my P2-ES board is alive and comfortable in its case. Now to do something interesting with it...
  • I have found that touching pins 56 to 63 causes the led's to light up go off. are the led's driven by some other means then the pins themselves. Seems awful touchy.

Mike
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    Many thanks to all who made this happen. The timing couldn't have been more opportune. Many thanks to Ken for keeping the engine moving. Many thanks to Chip for letting us ride along on his adventure from gleam in the eye to board in the hand. May the adventure continue for a long time to come!
    edited 2018-12-24 22:51
    iseries wrote: »
    I have found that touching pins 56 to 63 causes the led's to light up go off. are the led's driven by some other means then the pins themselves. Seems awful touchy.

Mike

The pins are floating, unless driven. Then, they pass through high-Z digital buffers to drive the LEDs.
    edited 2018-12-24 22:54
    K2 wrote: »
    Many thanks to all who made this happen. The timing couldn't have been more opportune. Many thanks to Ken for keeping the engine moving. Many thanks to Chip for letting us ride along on his adventure from gleam in the eye to board in the hand. May the adventure continue for a long time to come!

I'm glad that we got here, and also really glad that all of you guys are still around!

This has been a virtual eternity in the tech world.
  • My P2-ES board is here and it's alive, it's alive!. Sadly, not much time to play over the next couple of days :depressed:
    garryj wrote: »
    My P2-ES board is here and it's alive, it's alive!. Sadly, not much time to play over the next couple of days :depressed:

Gary, I'm glad you got your board. Now you will have real built-in pull-up and pull-down resistors that the USB smart pin controls. Should be a little different, and definitely a lot faster.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    Just got mine too! Let the adventure begin!
  • Got mine today. PST reveals TAQOZ!
  • thejthej Posts: 232
    edited 2018-12-25 04:14
    Mine arrived today but Canada Post knocked on the wrong door so it is locked up at the depot until Thursday :-(
    Oh well... IT"S HERE !!! Chipmas has finally come !!!

I will join the rest of you in festive TAQOZ exploration Thursday afternoon :-)
    Until then, I will collect the juiciest testing tidbits from your posts !
    J
  • Mine came in under the wire! Chipmas 2018!
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    Mine is stuck in customs but at least it's in the country!
  • I was running Jon's Larson scanner program and noticed that the RX LED was flashing as well. At first I thought the program might be sending something to the serial port but then realized that the 8 LEDs are actually sharing pins with the serial port and other boot devices. That's unfortunate since it means I can't use those LEDs at the same time as those devices. Why was this done? Surely with 64 pins 8 could have been dedicated to LEDs on an eval board.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I can't use those LEDs at the same time as those devices. Why was this done? Surely with 64 pins 8 could have been dedicated to LEDs on an eval board.

The 8 LEDs are to indicate the status of the 8 programming pins during startup, and then most can be used for user indication after boot. The last two are totally free regardless. The RX and TX do share the FTDI USB lines.

This is in keeping with the overall concept... That the base EVAL board would be to provide the features required to run the P2, without any restrictions on the IO's except those needed for special purposes. All extra features (LEDs, Buttons, USB, Video, Audio, etc..) should be added with addon boards. Parallax will have a sample set of addons available which include buttons and LED indicators that can be added to any of the IO-pin headers, and thus provide dedicated indicators where users want them. There's a prototype board too. Last I saw, these were predicted for mid-Jan availability.

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    The 8 LEDs are to indicate the status of the 8 programming pins during startup, and then most can be used for user indication after boot.
    I see. I didn't realize that they were there mostly to monitor the boot process.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    David Betz wrote: »
    I was running Jon's Larson scanner program and noticed that the RX LED was flashing as well. At first I thought the program might be sending something to the serial port but then realized that the 8 LEDs are actually sharing pins with the serial port and other boot devices. That's unfortunate since it means I can't use those LEDs at the same time as those devices. Why was this done? Surely with 64 pins 8 could have been dedicated to LEDs on an eval board.

The LEDs simply started top-down, but given there are already also TX and RX leds, a couple are somewhat redundant, so in hindsight it may have been smarter to skip P63,P62 ?
    That would also avoid anyone trying to BLINK P63 and locking things up... ;)
  • jmg wrote: »
    given there are already also TX and RX leds, a couple are somewhat redundant, so in hindsight it may have been smarter to skip P63,P62 ?
    That would also avoid anyone trying to BLINK P63 and locking things up... ;)

One exception would be for experiments without PC-USB connected.
    In that case, the USB TX/RX LEDs will not blink, but the blue LEDs will still indicate the status of the IO pins.