Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Interesting! — Parallax Forums

Interesting!

KyeKye Posts: 2,200
edited 2009-11-28 17:20 in Propeller 1
I was watching an episode of Criminal Minds (episode 1&2 - season 4)·and it just·caught my attention that when the terrorist was arming·a bomb in the story he was using a propeller protoboard for control.

As in the title, interesting! Even though this is a bit creepy.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Nyamekye,

Post Edited (Kye) : 11/26/2009 4:52:58 AM GMT

Comments

• localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2009-11-26 02:51
    Well there's no such thing as negative publicity! And I'm sure Penelope figured out that a good jolt to the XTAL leads would blow the PLL and render the bomb inoperable.
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2009-11-26 12:42
    Saves all that tedious looking for the red wire.

I find 9V up the prop stops 9 out of 10 bombs ( it's the other one that is a PITA, for a short while)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2009-11-26 12:52
    This prop board = bomb kinda thing isn't anything to worry about, as when coming back from Eindhoven, going through the xray section with my carry-on bag, which was full of our kit + freebies from Ken, ( Cheers again Ken ) + lots of wires ( A/V, power, joypad, keyboard, mouse etc ) they did however ask to open the bag, not because of the contents, but because it was crammed in and they couldn't tell what was what [noparse]:)[/noparse] so no worries there for prop users travelling with boards, just don't over crowd your bag with lots n lots of them and wires all over. [noparse]:D[/noparse] Oh, and if they do stop you, be helpful! let them see, after all, you don't have a bomb in your bag, do you!! [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2009-11-26 13:03
    Clever ploy !!!

Don't have flashing lights or numbers counting down, LCD with a retro game. Whole new meaning to the final level.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2009-11-26 13:26
    so now I know why they wanted to know what Drac was going to use his RAMs in LOL

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2009-11-26 13:36
    I used to have some stage dynamite, complete in its clearly marked box. I am glad I got rid of it a long time ago, they seem to have lost their sence of humour recently.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2009-11-26 14:02
    Toby [noparse]:)[/noparse] lol @ stage dynamite, and yeah, might have been another story with the professional prop board, that has 7seg numbers on board! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
  • KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2009-11-26 14:10
    Ha! Why would you ever put a countdown timer on such a thing if it were only going to be blown up!

Cheers, Happy Thanks Giving!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nyamekye,
    edited 2009-11-26 14:22
    Thats what they call a "Throw away sociaty". Sometimes it is thrown away a bit quicker than others.

"How long has civilization got left, Mr Bond?"

"Beats me, sunshine, I'm only on level 3. Now shut up, whilst I look for the FBG. I'll need it on the final level!"

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2009-11-26 15:17
    LEDs and some cells in the shape of a slightly rude robot were thought to be explosive devices!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Boston_bomb_scare

The fact that the propeller found its way into that show probably shows that the special effects guys are using them for everything from flashing LEDs onwards, and why not!!

Graham
  • SamMishalSamMishal Posts: 468
    edited 2009-11-26 19:37
    Kye said...
    Ha! Why would you ever put a countdown timer on such a thing if it were only going to be blown up!
    HA HA.....indeed..... I have always wondered the same and many OTHER things about movies (not just Hollywood ones).
    ·
    I cannot remember who said this:
    "It is amazing how much the movies seem to be REAL until they depict something I know about....then I know it is a load of bull...."
    ·
    It is like when the baddies are chasing 007 all the while shooting at him or firing rockets etc. every one of which would have killed him
    instantly had they succeeded in their aim. HOWEVER, once they catch him and he is overpowered, instead of just killing him on the spot
    as they would have just a few seconds before, they go through a whole elaborate procedure using complicated contraptions to TRY to kill
    him....but even more MORONIC....they tell him what they are going to do next and where and how....then they leave him all alone free to
    find an implausible way out of the moronic killing apparatus. Of course now he knows what to do and they do not even know he is not dead....
    ·
    Nice drama.....but REAL.....only to ones who do not KNOW.....
    ·
    ·
    To all USA people and Parallax......Happy Thanks Giving....may you all have a PEACEFUL time and GOOD eating and LOTS to be thankful for.
    I know I am thankful for the fact that the Propeller, Spin·and Parallax are here and I am sure for a LONG time to come.

But to all none USA people too....the same wish applies.....
    ·
    Samuel

Post Edited (SamMishal) : 11/26/2009 7:45:37 PM GMT
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-11-27 13:54
    SamMishal said...
    It is like when the baddies are chasing 007 all the while shooting at him or firing rockets etc. every one of which would have killed him
    instantly had they succeeded in their aim. HOWEVER, once they catch him and he is overpowered, instead of just killing him on the spot
    as they would have just a few seconds before, they go through a whole elaborate procedure using complicated contraptions to TRY to kill
    him....but even more MORONIC....they tell him what they are going to do next and where and how....then they leave him all alone free to
    find an implausible way out of the moronic killing apparatus. Of course now he knows what to do and they do not even know he is not dead....
    Ha Ha! So is this saying that you watched the James Bond marathon too? smile.gifsmile.gif

You know, on USA Network's "Monk" series (detective series) one of the mail bombs from an early episode was controlled by a BS2 and Board of Education. They didn't have any 7-segments, but they did have some unneeded LED's as an indicator. What a waste! Blow $75+ for easy programming just to blow it up?!?!? Why would you even use the board of education?!?!

It's good drama, but not reality.......

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·
    Want cheap wholesale electronic parts?
    Transistor parts wholesale
  • SamMishalSamMishal Posts: 468
    edited 2009-11-27 23:03
    microcontrolled said...
    Ha Ha! So is this saying that you watched the James Bond marathon too?
    No, I am an old man and I have already watched ALL of them in the Cinemasconfused.gif

What I do watch on TV these days is Myth Busters.....my favorite program ever....
    These guys are having fun too....I love how they bust MOST of the rubbish in the
    movies....the Adam guy is a great engineer too....I LOVE the contraptions he makes.
    I wish I had his job....great fun.

Samuel
    ·
  • PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2009-11-28 17:20
    A little off topic, but as per some comments about blowing the prop... Any GOOD bomb designer knows that you make the control circuitry fail-BOOM, meaning the circuitry is the only thing that keeps the bomb from blowing up. If anything goes wrong(a wire being clipped, the PLL being fried), the thing goes up in smoke, along with the person tinkering with it. Just my evil $0.02.