Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where to buy dev board and chips — Parallax Forums

Where to buy dev board and chips

ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
edited 2006-03-31 18:57 in Propeller 1
Hi, is the dev board and chips purchase ready? I found this url earlier on. Is it legit?
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=data.getPcodes&pcode=Parallax%2BPropeller%2B32%2BBit%2BMicrocontrollers&pcodenumber=61910

can someone at parallax confirm and also point me to where I can buy this please

thanks,

ALIBE
·

Comments

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-03-30 16:02
    Alibe,

Yes, the link to Mouser is legitimate. They are a Parallax distributor.

You will be able to buy these products from Parallax or any distributor, all within a week or so of the release date. The reason Mouser is already flying a web page is because they are an active, supportive distributor with lots of enthusiasm for our new products.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-03-30 16:10
    I checked Mouser and it is interesting.

While I suspect their prices to be a bit higher than Parallax, they do offer several cheaper international shipping options.
    Sadly, UPS is what I suspected -- the most expensive.

For some of oversea's community, we can build an order of other hard-to-locally acquire items and kill to birds with one stone.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • ALIBEALIBE Posts: 299
    edited 2006-03-30 16:17
    Ken, thanks.

I'm new to the Propeller forum. So pardon my ignorance w/ these newbie ?s.

When is RTM/GA date for Propeller?

thanks
  • DSPGuruDSPGuru Posts: 1
    edited 2006-03-30 16:17
    Ken,
    who in Europe will be distributing Propeller chips and tools?

smurf.gif
    Andreas

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If a DSP can't do it, it cannot be done.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-03-30 16:18
    Some of the European distributors were named in this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=578136

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·1+1=10
    edited 2006-03-30 16:25
    Andreas:

Welcome to the Propeller forum!

Some guys in Dusseldorf? - I really don't know yet. Now that they're all trained (as of last week) we'll see what they do. As you know, many of our European distributors specialize in tool, compiler and prototype products for their customers. It remains to be seen how well these distributors are able to transition to something of higher volume. But they've got our support to make it a success.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-03-30 19:29
    Worried about shipping cost?
    I believe that Parallax staff has written several times that if we ask for USPS shipping in the comment field of an order, they will use that option.

So the DIP chip may be out first?

By weird coincidence, that's the one I was going to spring for...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2006-03-30 19:38
    Gadgetman -

You are correct. Even though our on-line shopping cart software doesn't offer up USPS as an option, you could process the order with UPS Worldwide Express (and accept the massive shipping charges) but put a comment in the order "Use USPS and reduce charges accordingly". Our sales staff will adjust the charges for shipping.

Yes, DIP will be out first.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-03-31 17:26
    WIll the Dev board include the chip as well?

(estimated costs... I forget the actual listed prices...)

Dev Board + power supply + book = $150.00 + $12.00 + $25.00 = $187.00
    Or is it more like...
    Dev board + Power supply + CHip + book = $150.00 + $12.00 + $25.00 + $25.00 = $212.00

Just makin sure I can get the cash put aside... after all the hoopla, I need to ensure I can get this gem...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-03-31 17:42
    Kaos-

Prices for the board and kit are listed on our web site's Propeller page, along with the quantity 1 chip price. We're under your target cost, so you should have left over money for a few extra chips. In fact, you'll be able to get started for as little as $25 (connect the Propeller directly to your serial or USB port with a USB2SER). Run your code from RAM or add an EEPROM for code storage. The demo board just makes all of the connections to peripherals very handy, though.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-03-31 18:57
    NICE... Real Nice...
    Ok... I'm hooked...
    Thanks Ken...
    And, BTW, I'm not knocking the price at all... It's all very reasonable... just checkin my options out...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·