Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller IDE won Mac OS X/Virtual PC — Parallax Forums

Propeller IDE won Mac OS X/Virtual PC

Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
edited 2006-03-28 17:35 in Propeller 1
The good news for those who are interested is that the Propeller IDE works fine under Virtual PC, and once started up it is almost as fast as it is when running on a real PC.

{Powerbook G4 running OS10.3.9/VP 7.0.0/XP.}

Install the FTDI Windows driver, which means the FTDI Mac driver cannot be installed at the same time. Under the PC menu, it will show up as a USB device, not as a captured Mac com port. Under the Windows device manager, it showed up for me as com3: via the FTDI USB device. I found it necessary to go into the device_manager/settings/advanced and change the latency (which defaulted to 16) to a larger value (24). Otherwise, sometimes it did not find the Propeller.

The function keys F8, F9, F10 etc can be used for the IDE if you press the Apple command key at the same time, otherwise the F keys perform their Mac desktop functions.

Happy daze! Now I can carry the Propeller IDE and still be a Mac'o'phile!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Tracy Allen
www.emesystems.com

Comments

• Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2006-03-28 02:54
    Excellent news for those of us with PowerPC based Macs......

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2006-03-28 03:03
    Not so good for those of us with the Intel Macs. No VPC in our future.

I hope that Chip et al had the good sense to write the interface in something portable

Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2006-03-28 04:37
    If you've got an Intel Mac - you can just install Windows XP on it using the instructions floating around the net...
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2006-03-28 06:03
    Larry,

The interface is written in Delphi and it doesn't compile to Mac.

Once we've got the Propeller smoothly under power, we will document the compiler tool just like we've done with the BASIC Stamp so Mac/Linux developers can develop a native interface. We'll provide the support you request, but it will take us some time. If there are serious Mac developers out there, they are welcome to make contact with me for this purpose at any time.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2006-03-28 17:35
    Hopefully Murat is listening...

wink.gif

-dave
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Larry,

The interface is written in Delphi and it doesn't compile to Mac.

Once we've got the Propeller smoothly under power, we will document the compiler tool just like we've done with the BASIC Stamp so Mac/Linux developers can develop a native interface. We'll provide the support you request, but it will take us some time. If there are serious Mac developers out there, they are welcome to make contact with me for this purpose at any time.

Sincerely,

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.