Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New REV C and REV D Power Requirements — Parallax Forums

New REV C and REV D Power Requirements

iseriesiseries Posts: 1,452
edited 2023-03-12 15:51 in Propeller 2

The new Rev C and Rec D board now work with a wide range of power from 5v to 16v.

The drawings however show that pins 41 and 42 are 5v and don't seem to show any 5v regulator on the board.

If your using one of the edge boards that show 5v output is this really 5v or is it Vin?

A quick continuity test shows its Vin.

So connecting a device that needs 5 volts could be a problem?

Mike

PS. I think I smell something burning.

Comments

• Yes, the Edge board itself has a wider range of accepted inputs, but if you want to use the usual breakout boards with devices that use the 5V line (such as the USB board), it better be 5V.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187

That's the primary reason I've not purchased any of Parallax's Edge carriers. I decided I'd make my own instead.

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2023-03-12 18:43

The new 64029 breakout has a power shunt selector so you can disable 5V to the accessory headers, or feed in 5V if you want to have a separate supply feeding the Edge module.

None of the Edge modules have 5V output; never have. I guess the pin 41/42 refers to some other board?
    Anyway, the answer is the same... Edge does accept a wide VIN and some accessories require 5V (such as USB add-ons).

Running everything at 5V might be simplest, but you won't blow the Edge module at least if accidentally connecting a higher voltage. And it allows system builders to run at a higher voltage. As always, pros and cons for different use cases.

• maybe put a footprint for a 5V regulator on the Breakout board?

Mike

• And put a dummy in the original plug
    I use the "OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C" range.