Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
MACOS and SPIN1 for PROPELLER 1 - What are the latest IDE options? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

MACOS and SPIN1 for PROPELLER 1 - What are the latest IDE options?

13»

Comments

• @Electrodude said:

@dgately said:
    Trying to install wine v7.21 from winehq.org, results in a 64-bit limited version of wine (wine64), which fails to run Pnut. Any attempt to launch 32-bit wine, which does get installed along with the 64-bit version, results in errors. Again, this is on a recent macOS version on a 2019 MacBook Pro. An older pre-10.14 macOS on an older Mac may work better.

Wine 8.0 was just released a few days ago. The changelog says it's supposed to add support for running 32-bit programs on post-10.15 macOS.

EDIT: Looks like you'll have to build Wine 8 yourself - they don't seem to have a compiled Mac version on their downloads page yet.

thanks, but i am not pursuing WINDOWS apps on mac anymore - too much stuffing about

• @Ltech said:

Idention line off ?

I have that set off, as on looks like Smile!
    BUT this app does not UPLOAD to the propeller chip, it gets as far as compiling ONLy, and besides, this app is DEAD. sadly..

thanks

• thanks, I am exploring this option, now, i got the extensions working, just need to figure out installing the compiler so i can get code uploading to my propeller chip.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126

Thanks for your efforts dgately.

I guess only thing left to say is a new major version change of Wine means next Crossover release is also imminent.

• @"Don M" said:
    I prefer to use MacOS myself. I recently found Crossover. PropTool works great with it.

HI Don M,

Can you tell me your MACOS setup for Proptool?

Thanks

• LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2023-01-29 10:30

@DavidM said:

@Ltech said:

Idention line off ?

BUT this app does not UPLOAD to the propeller chip, it gets as far as compiling ONLy, and besides, this app is DEAD. sadly..

thanks

I do Upload to propeller chip, it works like a charm

You have to chose your serial port on dropdown menu.

• @DavidM said

thanks, I am exploring this option, now, i got the extensions working, just need to figure out installing the compiler so i can get code uploading to my propeller chip.

Thats one way (edit with visual studio code and compile and run with FlexProp):

@ersmith said:

@DavidM said:
    Ok, I opened it using terminal, so I got it to work, BUT

the interface is very simple and bland! I cannot use this.

I only want to code in SPIN1 at the moment, the Propeller tool has the features i like the most. ESPECIALLY the indentation lines, no other IDE has this for some reason, i cannot code without indentation lines.

FlexProp notices if another program has changed the files you have open, so you can use any external editor you like with FlexProp and just use the FlexProp GUI for compiling and running the code.

• @Ltech said:

@DavidM said:

@Ltech said:

Idention line off ?

thanks

HI Ltech,
    I have the USB device showing, in that pulldown menu.

The PropellerIDE sees my usb device, but it only compiles, it does not do any uploading of the file to the propeller chip.
    I get the same log results, regardless if i COMPILE/RUN or WRITE
    So there is something else happening.

Can you please tell me what your mac set up is, model , os etc,
    mine is..
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
    3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    MAC OS 12.6 Monterey

• @evanh said:
    Thanks for your efforts dgately.

I guess only thing left to say is a new major version change of Wine means next Crossover release is also imminent.

wine 8.0 source wont even pass ./configure on recent macOS versions, I don't want to venture into configuring a 32-bit MacOS SDK just to give it further attention...,

wine-8.0 % ./configure
    checking build system type... x86_64-apple-darwin22.3.0
    checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin22.3.0
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler works... yes
    checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
    checking for suffix of executables... 
    checking whether we are cross compiling... no
    checking for suffix of object files... o
    checking whether the compiler supports GNU C... yes
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for gcc option to enable C11 features... none needed
    checking for g++... g++
    checking whether the compiler supports GNU C++... yes
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
    checking for g++ option to enable C++11 features... none needed
    checking for cpp... cpp
    checking for ld... ld
    checking whether gcc -m32 works... no
    configure: error: Cannot build a 32-bit program, you need to install 32-bit development libraries.

• @Ltech said:

@DavidM said:

@Ltech said:

Idention line off ?

thanks

HI Ltech,
    Can you please tell me what MAC OS you are using?, or how you get Propeller IDE to work on you mac, As I said before, My PropllerIDE connects to the Serial Ports, but it does not download anything.

• LtechLtech Posts: 366
    edited 2023-01-31 08:03

I have two mac intel i5,
    Mini on high sierra, and an air on Mojave.

I don't remember to do something special, except the rs232 driver.
    I have to use only one specific physic usb port, on both mac's
    If the driver is the case, you have to find it on the forum, I am not so clever to invent it by my self.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/166516/propelleride-on-macos-with-ftdi-and-other-issues

I also use virtual box, it is free and work for all stufs not running on osx.
    You are in a 100% windows emulation.

The only pain I have with P2, is the huge choice of compilers. I love them all.
    If you want to test a project of the forum, mostly you have to try 4 compilers to have it running.
    This is for me a big game breaker on P2.
    Feel like the arduino and the ide upgrades , who break you old projects.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126

@Ltech said:

PC emulation. Windoze can then install and execute on that emulator. And you get all the baggage with it.

• @Ltech said:
    I have two mac intel i5,
    Mini on high sierra, and an air on Mojave.

I don't remember to do something special, except the rs232 driver.
    I have to use only one specific physic usb port, on both mac's
    If the driver is the case, you have to find it on the forum, I am not so clever to invent it by my self.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/166516/propelleride-on-macos-with-ftdi-and-other-issues

The only pain I have with P2, is the huge choice of compilers. I love them all.
    If you want to test a project of the forum, mostly you have to try 4 compilers to have it running.
    This is for me a big game breaker on P2.
    Feel like the arduino and the ide upgrades , who break you old projects.

Hi Ltech,

Thanks for replying, I took a look at that forum link, interesting discussion, but i don't know how relevant it is to later operating systems.
    There must be something in PropellerIDE serial port setup that's different to the setup used in Flexprop, as flexprop works fully at least functionally.
    I will for now use flexprop, it's not ideal but at least it works and i really need to get started on my projects.
    The only benefit to using PropellerIDE is that it has better spin coloured themes, i.e block colouring, which maked coding much easier than an all plain background of flexprop.

I will look deeper into the Apple/FTDI serial port issues if i get time.

thanks

• you can edit in PropellerIde and compile/load with FlexProp

• @msrobots said:
    you can edit in PropellerIde and compile/load with FlexProp

Cool, so how does that work, Set up instructions?

• open top file in both editors, edit in SpinIde, save, hit compile and run in FlexProp, it loads the changed files automagically

Mike

• do i need to set up flexprop in any special folder for this to work?