Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Flip not programming eeprom — Parallax Forums

Flip not programming eeprom

Hello,

I have a prop 1 flip and have run into a problem programming it, awhile back I programmed the flip and everything worked fine, the programming in spin found the device and programed the eeprom,

but recently I updated the source code and was going to simply update the code on the processor (flip)

I went to do that and the programming failed during download, which I thought was weird, I checked the voltage to the processor was at 5.6 volts and the light on the processor was green, I also had some serial (pst) stuff that I had left in it, what is really weird is that the processor is running fine, the pst terminal data is reponding to the com port and is sending message to the pst terminal, all the functions that the procesor was suppose to do work fine, the only issues is that It on longer can be programmed,

I also have a few other flips, so I took one and connected it to the usb programming using spin, and it programmed fine, so I would think that the com port, cable and spin are working fine,

so I was wondering if there is a way to force the processor into programming mode so I can load the latest code on it,

If there is nothing I can do, which is fine, I will just move on to another processor, but in the quest to be thorough, I thought I should ask the experts.

regards

Jeff

Comments

• Since your FLiP is sending stuff to the terminal, Windows might be mistaking it for a serial mouse. Go to your control panel and see if Windows shows a mouse connected to the port that your Prop is using. If so, just disable the mouse, and you should be able to upload programs again.

-Phil

• @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" said:
    Since your FLiP is sending stuff to the terminal, Windows might be mistaking it for a serial mouse. Go to your control panel and see if Windows shows a mouse connected to the port that your Prop is using. If so, just disable the mouse, and you should be able to upload programs again.

-Phil

If that was the case, I wonder if holding the reset button on the FLiP module whilst plugging in the USB code would work around the issue (and then proceeding to hold the reset button until Windows has connected your FLiP and allocated the COM port - or perhaps hold for 10 seconds if unsure).

This way the device shouldn't be detected as a mouse, and you could re-program it from Propeller Tool.

And plan B... if that doesn't work, try unplugging USB again, then hold reset and reconnect USB, and keep holding the reset right until you are ready to press F11 to "program EEPROM" in PropellerTool, and only release the reset just at the moment you press F11.

All that said... 5.6V at the processor seems a bit scary (assuming you measured at one of the P1 VDD pins) ! Should be 3.3V. Maybe something blew ?

• All that said... 5.6V at the processor seems a bit scary (assuming you measured at one of the P1 VDD pins) ! Should be 3.3V. Maybe something blew ?

That would be scary. But I assumed he was referring to Vin.

-Phil

• I have seen races between a P1 sending a lot of data out of the programming port a the IDE attempting to reprogram. If other solutions don't work, hold the FLiP reset button and then press the F11 key as soon as you release.