Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S2 robot rom use — Parallax Forums

S2 robot rom use

Hi

Recently aquired one of these from ebay.
All works perfectly.
The problem is every time I power it up, before I download my program to ram, the robot goes into one of its pre-programmed routines. It stops as soon as I download a program but it is irritating. I could erase the eeprom but I do not want to disturb the existing code. There are two eeproms at different addresses 0 and 1. I guess the code is in the rom 0. I contemplated lifting pin 1 (A0) of each chip and wiring to a dip switch to be able to arrange for the blank eeprom to be at address 0 to stop the autoplaying. I wonder what other people do- or do they just overwrite the original code. I can find only the 'getting started' and 'circuit diagram' documents for the S2.
Comments please...
Thanks in advance

Dave

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244

Can you just add a delay at the start of your program to allow you a few seconds to reprogram it before it runs away?

@"Duane Degn" is a heavy S2 user (he has a dozen IIRC), maybe he can assist with a tip.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2022-01-25 21:10

Don't worry about overwriting the pre-programmed stuff. You can always reload it. I've attached the default program below. It can also be loaded from the S2 GUI by clicking the button that shows the S2 with a halo (the immaculate S2).

-Phil

• Hi

Phil- thanks for that spin file- very interesting- I think I could change the bootup to suit my purposes with a line or two of code.
    However I see I need 3 objects for this-
    OBJ
    scribbler : "scribbler"
    scribbler_test : "scribbler_test"
    music : "scribbler_music"
    I've searched for them on parallax main site but no joy. I wonder if you have those also and would mind sharing?

Dave

• Hi

Thanks again Phil.
    Another thing that puzzles me is how the hacker port can be connected to sensors (implying inputs), as the instructions from startup guide suggest, when the port is driven by a ULN2003 darlington O/C array (U14). There doesn't seem to be any way a signal could get to a prop pin from the hacker port- yet I seem to have a 24l01 radio module communicating on the port.

Dave

• @erco
    maybe I am misunderstanding you but I don't see exactly, what you mean- sorry.
    Dave

• Hi

Just to correct previous mis-statement regarding the translating of 3.3v to 5v on the user/hacker port- its is NOT a ULN2003 but a GTL2003... different beast altogether and is indeed an 8-bit bidirectional low voltage translator.
    (if only the part number was on the circuit diagram.)

Dave