Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Error when attempting to compile and download software to the Propeller Activity Board — Parallax Forums

Error when attempting to compile and download software to the Propeller Activity Board

TCIIITCIII Posts: 81
edited 2021-12-06 02:10 in Robotics

Hi All,

SBC: NVIDIA Nano 4GB
OS: Jetpack 4.6/Ubuntu 20.04 (upgraded from Ubuntu 18.04)
ROS: Noetic

When I run this sequence of commands to load the Arlobot Propeller software:

cd ~/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/
mkdir bin
cd bin
rm -rf *
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ..
make run # Remember, make run installs it to EEPROM

And I run cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" .. I get the following:

thomas@thomas-desktop:~/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin$ cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ..
-- Found PropWare: /usr/share/PropWare/CMakeModules/PropellerToolchain.cmake (found version "3.0.0.224")
-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- Check for working C compiler: /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc -- broken
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:60 (message):
The C compiler

"/opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: /home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):/usr/bin/make cmTC_8fa6a/fast && /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj
/opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc    -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj   -c /home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/testCCompiler.c
/opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/build.make:66: CMakeFiles/cmTC_8fa6a.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_8fa6a/fast] Error 2

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
CMakeLists.txt:9 (project)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/thomas/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
thomas@thomas-desktop:~/catkin_ws/src/ArloBot/PropellerCodeForArloBot/ROSInterfaceForArloBot/bin$

I get the following error message:

CMakeError.log output:

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
Compiler: /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc
Build flags:
Id flags:

The output was:
/opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc: 1: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string

Compiling the C compiler identification source file "CMakeCCompilerId.c" failed.
Compiler: /opt/parallax/bin/propeller-elf-gcc
Build flags:
Id flags: -c

The output was:

I appear to have two versions of "propeller-elf-gcc" in /opt/parallax/bin:
propeller-elf-gcc
propeller-elf-gcc-4.6.1
Is it possible to use only "propeller-elf-gcc-4.6.1" which is one I think I should be using?

Any ideas as it looks like there is an punctuation issue with "CMakeCCompilerId.c"?
I have attached a copy of the CMakeCCompilerid.c which looks somewhat different than other CMakeCCompilerid.c that I have viewed on the IoT.

Regards,
TCIII

Comments

• This issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately a non-x86 processor is not capable of compiling PropWare or PropGCC.

I have used a dual boot (Windows/Ubuntu) HP Laptop to compile the PropWare and download it to the Propeller Activity Board.

Regards,
    TCIII