Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SX20AC/SS aftermarket source — Parallax Forums

SX20AC/SS aftermarket source

I've been keeping the Stache BASIC Stamp programmer alive for a handful of customers. It was originally built around the SX20AC/SS, but that is long out of production. There's hoarder's inventory out there, and I have quotations mostly from China that range from $16 to $78 (!!) per chip in quantities from 20 to 100. To keep it alive, I've started refactoring the circuit around an SX48, which Parallax still has at $0.78 each, but it is a pita to have to redo the pcb layout and to tweak the firmware. I thought I'd ask if any of you forumistas has or knows of a warm source for SX20s?

Comments

• We might have some at Parallax, Tracy. Send me an e-mail and I'll have Chantal check the secret stache, so to speak.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • I've been cleaning out my desk this past week and found a bunch of SX stuff I'm never going to use. You are welcome to it.

2 sx keys, 1 serial and 1 usb.
    1 sx28ac/dp
    3 sx48 proto boards
    1 sx tech board
    and... da da da daaaaaaa.....
    1 tube of sx28ac/ss chips... somewhere around 45 maybe 47...

-Dave.
  • Oh! great. pm's will be sent!
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Tracy,
    I think I have some SX20AC/SS around. I will look and let you know. Maybe 20 or so...

Bean
  • Bean to the rescue! Where have you been?
  • Hi Bean, good to hear from you!
    Please pm me if you locate some chips. It turned out that Parallax had none at all. Lots of SX48s but no SX20s. I can also use SX18. That was the very first layout and I still have the Gerbers.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Too bad you couldn't easily adapt the SX48 to fit into a SX20 slot. I had a customer who was desparate for SX28s and actually found some, but they were knock-offs and failed their testing. They were through-hole though, so I hooked them up with a board that converts the SX48 QFP to an SX28 DIP layout and they were able to wrap a final build of their product before moving to something else like an Atmel chip for the future.
  • Tracy,

Since you mentioned SX18's, I have

5 ea. Ubicom SX18AC-I/SO, datecode AB0116AP (SOIC), and
    6 ea. Scenix SX18AC75/DPES, datecode AB9931AB (DIP).

Any and all are yours if you want them. Just PM or email me your mailing address.

-Phil
    Tracy,
    This must be your lucky day. Not that I have the parts....But that I was able to find them.... ;)

I have 33 of them that are marked:
    PARALLAX
    SX20AC/SS-G

I assume 0751 is the date code of 51st week of 2007.

Anyway, they are yours if you want them (and I assume you do).

Send me a PM with your mailing address and I sent them to you.

Bean
  • Wow! Indeed a lucky day! pm sent. The SX turbos on.

They are on the way Tracy.

PM sent.

Happy to help out forum members.

Bean
  • Thanks much Bean. There is no doubt in my mind that you have helped out this community and many of us individually.
  • Thanks, Bean and Bullopene, I have enough now to keep the Stache alave for a while!
  • Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, and an even older controller chip that I'm looking for, but I'm hoping that once again someone has a 'secret stash' of the Scenix SX20AC/SS, or the SX28AC/DP, or frankly any of these Scenix chips that I may acquire.

// I am trying to do a limited run of a wonderful project that I did for a large ham radio group back in 2002. It was a "smart badge" called The Badger ... http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/0209049.pdf. (Hope the link work for you guys.) It would be easiest just to use the existing Scenic software rather than porting to a newer chip.

With fingers crossed ...

Best,
    George_N2APB

• @George_N2APB said:
    Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, and an even older controller chip that I'm looking for, but I'm hoping that once again someone has a 'secret stash' of the Scenix SX20AC/SS, or the SX28AC/DP, or frankly any of these Scenix chips that I may acquire.

// I am trying to do a limited run of a wonderful project that I did for a large ham radio group back in 2002. It was a "smart badge" called The Badger ... http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/0209049.pdf. (Hope the link work for you guys.) It would be easiest just to use the existing Scenic software rather than porting to a newer chip.

With fingers crossed ...

Best,
    George_N2APB

I have a stache of SX chips in a storage unit 900 miles away that I have to get to. Health problems have prevented me from going there for the last two months. Hope to get there in two weeks. I'll let you know my inventory. I have some of the inventory already reserved.

• Hi George,

If you still have the need, I still have 1000+ SX20 in stock. I am located in Denmark, so it might be easier for you with a source stateside.

I love all my old Scenix stuff and have all the original development kits and documents. I still use the PROP1 and now also PROP2 :)

Best regards Jan

• Schmidt,

I sent you PM

• I have ~75 SX48 SMD devices available.