Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Downsizing - [Closed] — Parallax Forums

Downsizing - [Closed]

wmosscropwmosscrop Posts: 406
edited 2021-01-19 13:37 in Robotics
I've shipped everything I can at this time. There may be more parts & equipment in the future once the actual downsizing begins; I don't have a timeframe for that yet.

Due to health and other considerations, my wife and I are finally downsizing our possessions and lifestyle.

As part of this downsizing, I've decided to get out of my feeble attempts at robotics. I'm still going to work with the Propeller series, just not motion-related.

So, at no charge, I'm willing to ship my "Rover 5" chassis (tracked, 2 motors w/encoders, works fine), along with some other parts such as servos, servo brackets, sensors, joysticks, motor controllers, discrete components, hardware (screws/bolts/nuts/etc.) and generally anything I don't have any use for anymore. There won't be any propeller chips. That's all I'm going to say as to what's in the box, no promises other that what's listed.

Whatever will fit in a large Priority Mail box is what will ship. I'm still working on the contents. Everything will be well packed.

I realize this will be a mishmash of parts (some of what I can't remember what they're for... ;)). In eleven years one can accumulate a lot of junk stuff!

What I'm asking is that if whoever ends up getting this can't use the parts, that they at least try to find someone or someplace that can (student, fablab, etc.). I hate to throw things away that someone else could use.

Again, this is at no charge to you.

Because it may take another week or two for me to sort this stuff out, I'm not going to do the usual "first come, first serve" type raffle. Instead, please PM me and I'll put your name in a hat (figuratively) and pull out a winner at shipping time.

If you want, tell me what you'd like to do with this stuff (realizing I'm being vague), and I might put in an additional entry or two to increase your odds of winning.

Edit:

At this time, I think I will be sending the parts to Parallax. This would probably be the best way to do this fairly and help someone in need. Thanks, @"Ken Gracey"

Comments

• Can I recommend giving to Kevin? The young fellow from the Live P2 sessions. @"Ken Gracey" might have contact information.

Paul
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    doggiedoc wrote: »
    Can I recommend giving to Kevin? The young fellow from the Live P2 sessions. @"Ken Gracey" might have contact information.

Paul

+ 1
  • We're planning on getting Kevin an Arlo base, motors and caster thanks to the help of @"Roy Eltham" who will provide the HB-25s. I'm sure he'd like more, but does he need it?

However, if you want to send the hardware to Parallax, I can always get it in the hands of educational users.

Ken Gracey
  • @wmosscrop Who can pass up robotic stuff? Go ahead and toss my handle into the hat. What I plan to do with it? Back in September my daughter gave me my first grandson, Charles, whom I've nicknamed, Chip, in honor of my favorite chip designer and in the hope that he might one day carry the torch and become my next favorite chip designer to keep his grandfather entertained. My daughter decided to decorate his room with robots. She doesn't it know it yet but my R2D2 has been earmarked for his room when he gets a little older. I'm also working on a few of my own for his collection. Since its a Rover 5 platform I would 3D print a shell for it (either DRD "1812" from Farscape or K9 from Dr. Who), put a plaque on it letting him know where the parts came from and add it to his collection. If there's any Parallax stuff you need just let me know I may have some surplus in my own collection that I can give to you or if you have any 3D design or printing work needing to be done for your remaining hobbies just let me know (no charge).

https://farscape.fandom.com/wiki/DRD_"1812"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9_(Doctor_Who)

Wishing the best for you and your wife.
    720 x 960 - 52K
  • Hello!
    If everything hasn't been sent, then I shall cheerfully accept what's left. I believe you still have my address someplace.
    ---
    Gregg

Mascot away.

But what is that army of robots doing descending on an island in Puget Sound?
  • I haven't sent anything yet... still sorting out and finding parts to send. It's incredible what you can accumulate in just a few years. And I do have your address.
  • I have a bunch of Parallax stuff I'd like to donate as well although I don't want to have to go through the customs forms necessary to ship them outside of the US.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I have a bunch of Parallax stuff I'd like to donate as well although I don't want to have to go through the customs forms necessary to ship them outside of the US.

Yes but see that paw up? You've got a destination here. I'll take almost anything.
    ---
    Mascot here but with raised paw.

And there's still an army of bots occupying an island in Puget Sound.
  • Flipped a coin, and the gentleman from the future won the leftovers...

@"Ken Gracey" & @"Buck Rogers", your boxes are on the way, priority mail. You should get them by the 20th.
  • wmosscrop wrote: »
    Flipped a coin, and the gentleman from the future won the leftovers...

@"Ken Gracey" & @"Buck Rogers", your boxes are on the way, priority mail. You should get them by the 20th.

Hello!
    Great! I see you remembered. I borrowed the time machine belonging to George to travel to this time. I'll look forward to it.
    ---
    Mascot returns on the 20th.
  • Hi,
    Please consider me into the raffle. I am an older student studying mechatronics for a career change. I am really excited to work with micro-controllers and programming, general making stuff. I am a newbie and this would add to my collection to get started with hardware.
  • Sorry, but I've shipped all that I can at this time.

I will keep your name on a list for when the actual downsizing occurs. This portion of the downsizing was to get rid of the stuff I don't use at all... There will be more stuff as I determine how much actual space I'll have for my hobby area. This will probably be this summer (2021) or later.
  • Hello!
    Okay everything arrived as expected. I spent an interesting amount of time examining everything. But the one question surrounds the datalogger. Why is it wearing a band that says "SPI only"? Because the documentation seems to think it does both.

Oh and my crowd asked about the servo family. What are those strange disks with screws on them for?

----
    Mascot returned and helped out.
  • Datalogger: Because I could only get it to work via SPI. I suspect I wasn't doing something correctly.

Strange disks: Are you referring to the metal disks? If so, they are for attaching to the various metal brackets. They were all part of a robotic arm that didn't work due to design flaws (like having the entire arm supported only by a servo).
    Datalogger: Because I could only get it to work via SPI. I suspect I wasn't doing something correctly.

Strange disks: Are you referring to the metal disks? If so, they are for attaching to the various metal brackets. They were all part of a robotic arm that didn't work due to design flaws (like having the entire arm supported only by a servo).

Okay about the datalogger one. But about the strange disks, some of the servos are wearing, they are about the size of a quarter, and have four screw in each quadrant. Even the pair on the Parallax designed PAB/BOE bot base I noticed.

But all-in-all everything is well appreciated. And of course thank you!
    ---
    Mascot back, has head in box.
  • Right, you should see corresponding mounting holes in the metal brackets.

And you're welcome, good luck on your projects!
    Right, you should see corresponding mounting holes in the metal brackets.

And you're welcome, good luck on your projects!

And I've got two scheduled for that data logger, see next threads on Basic Stamps.

---
    Mascot back and going over everything.
    Datalogger: Because I could only get it to work via SPI. I suspect I wasn't doing something correctly.

Okay about the datalogger one, you didn't try tautology, now did you? Works here in serial mode. Also does your home support a pride of cats? Or at least a good sized crowd of them? They are here. Must be all of them here that did it. Because the demo program works for it.
  • Must be the cats. We don't have any...inside. Outside we have about 10 feral cats, some of which want to use my landscaping as their mating spots/nurseries.

Glad you could get it working. I didn't spend much time on it since the project it was for was already using SPI.